Is 13:38 a competitive 5k time for 16 year old

Comments

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Screampillar - thanks am now up to "speed" - I mean in terms of reading the thread - not using map my run.  

• RicF wrote (see)

What about me? 73:43 in Battersea Park. Finished the race absolutely peed off as I knew I couldn't ever be any faster than that. Odd how time tempers such nonsense.

Apart from that GNR result, eh Ric? image

• Finally I can get one over PP: not only have I met and spoken to Sarah Storey, but had dinner with her.  Oh, and Jodie Swallow was there too.

• Did she? Swallow?

•  image Tsk. How Rude! 

I'm not sure a 16 year old should be reading this on his thead. He might get his dad to come and..er...race you...image

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

His Dad's knees are trashed - I'll race him!!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

funny Barton runner didn't return...

• Maybe her cheap trainers fell to bits image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

The title of this thread is hilarious though isn't it.

If you know someone who can do 15:xx they'll be the best runner locally generally by far.

Know someone 14:xx and they'll basically win every race in your region.

13:xx? has anyone ever met anyone who's run that?

The idea of a 16 year old doing that time?

The idea of a 16year old wondering if it's "competitive" for that age

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

all these posts aren't from DF3 are they?  

•  

Grendel3 wrote (see)

Does a sub 17 5k translate to a 6.23 marathon? image

• Stevie G; The only guy I ever (occasionally) ran with who'd run 13 minutes and something for 5000m was a Scottish runner called Lachie Stewart. He ran for Britain in 1972 Olympics and had won the 10,000m in 1970 Commonwealth Games.

• Screamapillar wrote (see)

Grendel3 wrote (see)

Does a sub 17 5k translate to a 6.23 marathon? image

I meant sub 14 obviously...

• I used to use a phone app (MapMyRun or some bollocks) that informed me once that in my 35 minutes of lolloping around a park, i'd covered 10k.  Needless to say, it had somewhat spazzed out, failing wholeheartedly to do the single task it was designed for and was telling me terrible untruths.

That's about the only fair explanation here that doesn't involve accusing the OP of being a dirty big fibbing toerag.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

it's odd to understand how people don't appreciate that all technology can go wrong.

just a week ago, when I was doing an easy paced run with a bit of a niggle, one of the miles came out about 5.40 pace.

That'd be a bit slower than my 10k pace, and I certainly wasn't close to that intensity!

• Here it is; not my best time, but now I know the full affects of having a bit of dairy an hour before running this imageimage  distance is measured in Miles btw which is why distance is "3.1" SORRY I know It's not a good quality picture, the lighting in the gym was  dark! 14:05

http://i42.tinypic.com/v3n15l.jpg

• GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭

I could 'run' a 2:10 mara by sticking the tready on 20kph then going to the bar.........

• Matt - your treadmill needs recalibrating.
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Looks legit to me.

See you in Rio Matt!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Questions....

Where exactly do you live matt? (not literally your address, just country, region)

Is that treadmill your own or a in a proper gym? How old is it?

How did you feel at various stages of the run, particularly say the last 800 metres?

How did you warm up?

Did you run it at exactly the same pace from start to end or grow into it?

Did you have the machine running before you got going? It normally takes a tmill 10 secs to go from cold to that pace, so in reality you could knock 10 sec of that time for buttons.

• Go and get a race run, Matt.

Then post your link to the result here.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

oh.... and are you sure that you haven't run 3.1k, as that time for that distance for a young beginner would stack up!

My phone would take a fairly crystal clear pic of the tmill stats, have done it before. your pic looks unfeasibly poor, even taking acct lighting, just use the flash!

• the calories are reading 22? 

220 calories that's about right for 3k isn't it?

• Where exactly do you live matt? (not literally your address, just country, region)

Houston, Texas Area 

Is that treadmill your own or a in a proper gym? How old is it?

It's In a Gym, not sure how old but it looked pretty new, maybe a year or two

How did you feel at various stages of the run, particularly say the last 800 metres?

The First 2500 were fine. I would say the roughest patch was 2500-4200 because It's where I fatigue the most and It feels like there's so much more to go. I breathe fast here. The last 800 Is where I tend to speed up because it's kind of like "Finally I'm almost done, let me see how well I can do" type of feeling.  I kind of put my fatigue at the back of my mind and I really focus on results. At the end It's pretty awful hah, I chuge a bottle of water and I give myself a few minutes before I try to move anywhere, I can't walk 100% right after It's over. Probably lack of Oxygen!

How did you warm up?

It stretches over a few days. The days leading up to it I run shorter, quick distances. The farthest I would say I run in these few days is a mile, while the shortest is probably around 800-1000 meters. The Day of I don't do a lot special just drink a bottle of water beforehand, and like 3 minutes of leg stretchs 

Did you run it at exactly the same pace from start to end or grow into it?

Averaged 13.5 mph all the way up to the last minute or two I bumped it closer to 14 mph

Did you have the machine running before you got going? It normally takes a tmill 10 secs to go from cold to that pace, so in reality you could knock 10 sec of that time for buttons. Nah, I waited like 5 seconds and then I Just went. 

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

ok, fairplay for answering, what doesn't stack up is your warm up. To hit that pace cold, even for a seasoned Olympian would be disasterous. Torn calfs/hamstrings, heart and lungs bursting.

• WombleWomble ✭✭✭

Matt you'll have to go out and run it on a track. Treadmills are not reliable. There are several in my gym and I'm getting to know which ones are faster/slower!

As for rowing/running crossover, I did the latter stages of this year's Concept Challenge and was best GB lady over 500m in my age group! I row about once/twice a month! And no, I'm not 90. 1.7m tall (so probably a bit short for a rower) but reasonable technique.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Matt, you really need to get to a track.
    Just one thing though, the image you sent says 3.1 ( we assume miles) why did you switch back from kms though, or did you do the calculations mentally:
    "The First 2500 were fine. I would say the roughest patch was 2500-4200"
    fast running and mental agility, top marks son.

For reference here is a link to the US track and field champs for 2013. http://www.usatf.org/2013OutdoorsResults.aspx  

senior men on Sunday, Lagat and Rupp just under 15 mins
    junior men was won on the Friday in just over 15mins

• Dustin wrote (see)

Matt, you really need to get to a track.

^ This. It's important you get proper confirmation. Because if this is anywhere near accurate then you could well have a running career in front of you  - but you won't get it by running on a treadmill in a gym. You'll need a track and a coach.

If it isn't accurate - then at least you'll know for sure.

• Calories and distance don't tally Matt.

• Agree with SB, if you use a calories burned calculator http://www.runnersworld.com/tools/calories-burned-calculator

Then 220 equates to  3.1 km not 3.1 miles.