Sub 3h15

Comments

• Minni - Yes, I thought of that, but when it was too late. It could have been very confusing for you lot - and for him!

• Good spot Bike It - will sort this out later.

Deadline of 8 July folks!!!

Biked into work - the tranquility of Richmond Park followed by the usual madness going over Putney Bridge and along the Kings Road!!!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I've applied for my GFA too- very easy on-line!

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Minni - after your kind entry help I am having to pull out of the Coastal Race as stuck in the East African training camp again i.e Khartoum. There's actually an armoured personnel carrier outside the workplace now, not sure whether to be relieved or worried. Anyway if you (or OO) know someone who needs a place maybe there's an arrangement to be made. Doh image 

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear that poacher. I'll ask around the club. Take care out there. 

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

I am now too slow for GFA. (which smiley should I use to show immense relief?)

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Oh, Minni image- my face appears to be in your groin region! 

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

5k pb at tonight's mob-match: 19.09 or thereabouts image

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Is that to keep you working hard Poacher? I know a few people who could do with heavy weapons pointing at them to increase efficiency!

Keir, I doubt that you are too slow for GFA, unless you've taken to running in lead boots. 

Well done Jools! image Hope you are celebrating in suitable style!!

• FrazerelliFrazerelli ✭✭✭

Great work Jools. How big a chunk carved off is that?

Poacher Jeez. Sounds distinctly scary to me. Look after yourself

Glad to hear you're firing on a good number of cylinders again Minni. Great how time just sorts a few things out eh

Get your child's face out of there Keir!!

Tough session on the track for me but went slightly better than planned for once. Funny how you dread them but feel smug once they're done and dusted

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

About 14s, Frazer,so not a huge amount, but another step towards the sub-19 which should really be shelling peas for me according to race predictors...

Slokey: knocking back the mint tea like it's going out of fashion, Slokey.  It is a school night, unfortunately image

• Evil track session tonight. So very complicated too.

1200m at 5k pace straight into 400m at 3k pace (x 2) 
    800m at 5k pace straight into 200m at 3k pace (x 2)
    400m at 5k pace straight into 400m at 3k pace (x 2)
    400m flat out

All recoveries were 2 mins, timed off me as I was the slowest by miles.

Who invents these things?????

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Well done on the pb Jools. 5k seems like an evil distance and I don't go there often (once in total).

Glad to hear you are back and running Minni - don't let Keir put you off your stride.

Well done on the track sessions Speedy and Frazer.

A casual 8 mile jog this morning for me, still a little hampered by a dodgy hamstring. This evening was a 5 x 1500m row session to get the heart rate up whilst I am plodding.  I have a 10k at the weekend so need to decide if I am up to it. Perhaps a few strides in the next couple of days to test things out,

• Keir, you and me both. You are in good company. I'm about 5 minutes down.

Joolska, I agree, 19:09 pb for 5k is worth congratulating, but you have got at least another 30 seconds to pull off it when you do it again next week. How's the 10k? (I could go to Po10, but CBA)

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - that must be chaotic.
    Poacher - stay safe.
    Jools - congrats on the PB - that's fantastic!
    Frazer - well done on the track session.
    Speedy - it was obviously someone with a sadistic streak - sounds like torture.
    AR - good sessions - hope you're fit enough to run the 10k.
    Yet another 4 slow miles d&d this morning. Must do a few strides tomorrow.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Yes well done Joolska, great to be in positive territory.

Take it easy AR- I'm struggling with my hip too after a tough speed session and have my 10k in 7 days, no doubt I'll run.

I'll ask about the number Poacher, but there are a few spares around. You take care in that sh*t hole.

I'm down about 15 secs per mile Blisters on where I was last year, over all distances image.

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Be safe over there Poacher.

Nice pb Joolska .

Thats one evil track session there speedy - has 'break me' written all over it.

I find 5ks evil, only ever took anything remotely approaching pleasure out of 1 of them.

Very Hilly 7 miles last night. Still struggling with multiple niggles but am going for the SoB route discussed earlier on the thread as they appear to be neither improving or receeding. The Lytham half may become a 'fastish' mlr.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Yeah, stay safe Poacher!

Snap Joolska, my 5k PB is also 19:09 which I got about a month or so ago.

I on the contrary to most people, I really enjoy 5k's more than any other distance, it does hurt but it's the perfect distance to test your speed and endurance and it's over before you know it. I've got one coming up tomorrow night but not too confident at the mo. Since my 8k race a month ago things have gone downhill in terms of running, weight gain, smoking, blah blah, I could go on. I will still do it tho, but won't be a PB! It's a new course as well so no idea what it's like. Looking forward to lunch run in the Sunshine today. 5 easy k's for me!

Gul - Do you ever have a day off from running?

• Actually the track session was worse than I wrote, it wasn't 800 into 200, it was 1000 into 200. Total 10800m of effort at 5k pb pace. Funnily enough I felt like I was wearing a zombie body today. 

Based on that I should annihilate my 5k PB sometime soon. 

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

OO - take care of that hip.
    Mennania - hope those niggles clear up.
    GM - My normal schedule is 6 days a week with Sunday as my rest day.
    Speedy - even more scary.
    8 miles with 8x100m strides this morning. Apologies for the late post - I decided to do some gardening after my run today.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Yes I've booked to see a guy on Friday- trigger points and all that nonsense but he does come recommended. There is a track session tonight but I'll have to give it a miss.

My front garden is a disgrace Gul image 

• Speedy, that 10k at 5k pace looks to be a very hard session. I struggle to do 6x800 at 5k pace which is 4800m of effort. If your legs forgive you then totally agree your 5k PB will get remodelled soon.

Midweek summer 5k series for me yesterday evening. The course is one I raced in 2011 (17:52 and my po10 5k PB) and 2012 (19:22, in the middle of the PF crisis last year when limping was vogue) so a course of highs and lows.

Came out at 18:05 in the end with quite even splits of 3:25, 3:25, 3:41, 3:41 and 3:43. Splits do tell the tale, spirited start, then gradual decline and in the end a lack of dedication to push on a grass and track course when I have another race tomorrow which is officially measured and on flat tarmac.

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

I just couldn't complete that session at full 5k pace Speedy and I figure that you will annihilate your current 5k PB when next tested. image

Nice warm up for the main event PMJ.

Enjoy tonights race GM.

Am trying to get fit for Saturdays Marathon. Starts in local pub at 10am image to watch the Lions and then goes on to sister in  laws 50th birthday bash at 2pm - I am not expecting to be at my Personal Best by the end of the nightimage 

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Pace yourself Mennania! Let's hope we can go 2-0 up.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Those look like my splits these days PMJ, slowing in the 2nd half- but just age with me I think.

Have a blast Mennania

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Mennania - please tell us you are doing an inverse taper in preparation for your marathon.

Reading your session Speedy, I both feel very ill and guilty.  Ill at the thought of doing it and guilty because I know I should do more of that if I want to get better.

Nice work Jools on your 5k PB.  Ditto about the pain of the short stuff - I think I really must try to start doing short distances as well.  If only I could run.

I've been sick for the last day and a half.  It's good that I'm not running at the moment and didn't have to drop any sessions.  I got my acceptance for the VLM so I went and paid.  They sent me an email back to say I've been accepted for the Championship start which I am 100% sure is a mistake.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Nice 5k PMJ! You were doing 17:05 pace for the 1st 2k, was that your intention to go out so hard? Good luck for tomorrow! What's the target?

New PB for me tonight 18:55. Splits were 3:43, 3:54, 3:46, 3:52 & 3:40. Really pleased to go sub 19 for 1st time and it was not a flat course. Last mile was tough with 3 hills and a headwind for the last 1k but the last 100m was downhill, thank goodness!

Menn - Enjoy yourself!

• Gerard Mooney wrote (see)

Nice 5k PMJ! You were doing 17:05 pace for the 1st 2k, was that your intention to go out so hard? Good luck for tomorrow! What's the target?

Nice 5k yourself, and I have given up on hard 5ks, only flat and fast are taken seriously.

I find that a 5k needs to be hit hard. Even pace 3:35 comes in at 17:55, even pace 3:40 comes in at 18:20. I am targeting 17:51 so need faster that 3:35 even and I know I will slow so my tactic is to start at 3:30 or faster for the first 2k and that  means 7 minutes at 2 k and 11 minutes for the last 3 (3:40 pace) and then any change I get is an improvement on 18 dead.

I realise I could maybe eek out  a few secodns by going off a it slower but getting low 18s is not the aim, it needs to be sub 18 so I have to start fast and then every so often I finish fast as well.