Giants Head Marathon - June 2013

Comments

• I know Emmy, we'll have to wait until the Thames Meander, but I hear that's now full, I'm ill fated. I shall raise a flagon of cider to you all on Saturday night.

• Emmy H wrote (see)
    The Dawn Shadow wrote (see)

Bruce, you started most of the rumours about mile 20.

That's true... But he needed to get himself going somehowimage

Emmy, at my age every little helps !

• I'm just going to take it as it comes (the race that is), and see what happens... image

• Last run done (4 miles) and niggles all subsiding, real or imagined. I'm going to be working a red vest with black shorts and blue road shoes - final decision

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    The Dawn Shadow wrote (see)

Ooh yes Emmy, I'm definitely with the 'enjoy the view and have some more cake' crew. 

You forgot to add 'drink cider' image

KateF wrote (see)

I know Emmy, we'll have to wait until the Thames Meander, but I hear that's now full, I'm ill fated. I shall raise a flagon of cider to you all on Saturday night.

Mel told me that there's normally a few drop outs so we should be alright? I'm crossing my fingers! image

A colleague asked me what i'm doing this weekend and I replied: Well i'm running a marathon but it's more than that... i get to camp, drink cider, eat my weight in cake and generally have a thoroughly cracking time with a great bunch of people image Their response: "Runners..."

• Knees are a bit better, going to get early night tonight and also hope car passes MOT at this very moment otherwise might be running from yeovil doing the marathon and running back image

Can't wait getting the butterflies even now, problem is a few people want to come up and see me finish and said what time should we come image I said I hope to finish it under 5.30 then the response is 'you really going to take that long!' After I punched them full on in the throat I then explained the course is a little lumpy and I really don't know how long its going to be'

Due for a few heavy showers down here tonight image sorry

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Kate, sod the bike ride, you can do those anytime...
    My aim is simply to get round, although somewhere around 4 1/2 hours is my first target. Had on and off sciatic issues for the past 4 months but seems to be fine at the moment so as long as that bad boy stays away it should be a nice run. Rather looking forward to it. 

• Vixx76 wrote (see)

Cake! How are you doing? image

Bruce - it'll be great image

Having a right sh*te week but it's getting better. image There is a slim chance won't be able to make it this weekend with family stuff I've tell you about it over a cuppa Friday hopefully when I get there.

This weekend is going to be special girls and gem's image

• Unfortunately Dustin it seems I can run a marathon anytime and I am shite and unmotivated on the bike!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Kate - does that mean you're running on Satuday? image

((Cake)). Hope that you're doing ok. It'll be lovely to finally meet you on Friday night!

• Nope, bike wins, long run on my ownsome Sunday. Fricking stupid triathlon business.

• image You poor thing you wouldn't say that if you have met me. image

We are at the cafe place at about 6.30 friday if your around there at that point easy to spot a ugly bloke walking next to the smallest prettiness lass you will ever met. image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

We're joining the main crew at 8pm. We would have been there earlier but we booked too late so will be joining Goldbeetle for dinner. 

• Right O will be at the window pulling face's at GB. image

• Hope to see you tomorrow Cake. *hugs*

• I can't realistically see us driving all the way down to Portland and then going back up to Dorchester in time for dinner, which is a shame. Otherwise we'll be at the marathon start by 8 - I'll be in a red vest and Mrs C is sporting a fetching plaster cast on her left leg. It would be great to say hello to some forumites

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

typical, but should have guessed with Wimbledon & Glastonbury: rained all night.
    Still going with road shoes, its going to drain away / seep through ok, right?

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

image Sorry I can't be there, the logistics are impossible and the timings wrong. It's going to be brilliant I know.

Have fun, enjoy the run, walk, hobble or even race.

Maybe next year when I have more time to plan.

• So sorry not to be bimbling behind you mousey.

• Going to be on here all by myself now I expect. All the rest of you will be travelling down today? I hope and pray the weather holds out for you so you don't have a soggy night! Weather at the moment is Sunny with a bit of cloud, just about right for a marathon image

• WE'RE HERE !!!  image

(although having just been through Sydling and driven up one of the 'hills', I am about to go and sit in the corner for a little cry)

• Have a good evening all and catch you tomorrow!

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

Today's the day. image

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

thanks for the extra 1.75 miles (or so). My legs just needed that!
    Thoroughly brilliant run, and surprisingly the legs stayed in reasonable shape for all 28 miles!
    I can't fault the aid stations, marshalls, oragnisation and of course the bakers and beer handlers. 
    And yes, I did have cider at mile 21 (and another at the finish).
    Its also the only time I've been applauded over the line. I'll reserve judgement on a return next year until I can feel my legs again....

• Feel the same Dustin. Well done GB and all involved. I got bastard sun burn though, even though I slapped it on. I'm glad you mentioned the little added extra, i'll count that as my second Ultra marathon image

Oh yes I managed to cry up one of the hills too! Which was interesting. I would have dipped under the 6hr mark without the wincy bit extra. So very happy all round.

Lastly everybody there was frindly and brilliant!

• Well done Andy and team. You put on a fab event and worked really hard to pull it off. Must of been stressful!

Its one of the toughest races I've done. But that scenery was spectacular!

Well done everyone that got round safely and I think I had the very last of the hog roast. image

• I agree a good effort, with some adjustments in course length and signage this could be a really good event. Lots of minor comments that could be made but the best thing is that the WS running team cared.