Sub 3h15

Comments

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

PMJ - Agreed, I also believe 5k's must be run hard! Good luck for tomorrow!!

• I echo Bike It's sentiments - such great sessions as Speedy's are the kind of thing I should be doing, especially at this time of the year. 

But there's always something in the way, isn't there? Just at the time I was starting to get used to doing faster stuff -or maybe because of this- I picked up this foot niggle. Luckily it seems to be nearly gone, but it means that for my two upcoming HMs in England my specific training will be limited to a couple of sessions involving 5-10k @ HMP and maybe some 1k reps @ 10k pace. It's no good moaning, though -  I'm pleased just to be running relatively pain-free again.

Fantastic 5k action from PMJ and Gerard. I agree with the former's race strategy of getting a couple of fast kms in then hanging on for dear life while blowing out of all available orífices (and some unavailable ones, too).

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

PMJ - good luck with today's 5k.
    Mennania - all the best with the ultra.
    Bike It - an accidental Champs start can't be bad!
    GM - congrats on the sub 19, especially on a tough course. You should be really chuffed with that - all those lunchtimes have paid off.
    3 easy miles for me this morning. Hoping to do parkrun tomorrow. Sub 19 is my goal, but I'm still aiming to reign it in a bit at the start. The first mile in my last parkrun was 5:58, which I think is about 18:32 pace - a bit too OTT.

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

I'm still shaking my head. I can never see a time when I would voluntarily to 10k's worth of distance at 5k pace. That session blows my mind.  The closest I got was almost 10k's worth of intervals at slightly quicker than 10k pace. You club runners are crazy!

13 MLR this am, and tested out the hamstring with 1M at 5:50 pace. Everything felt a bit tight and heavy. Not sure yet if I will race my 10k yet.

Great 5K running PMJ and Gerard. Having done a total of one 5K race, all I remember is not being able to focus on my watch due to the pain of racing. 

Good luck tomorrow with the sub19 Gul, and at the other end of the spectrum, Menna with his 'ultra' - I am sure you will keep hydrated.

• I did some 5k stuff of my own this morning, although in my case it was within a 6-miler, to test out HMP or what might be feasible . Anyway, 20:23 suggests I should be able to do about 1:28 with a bit of luck and good weather on the Lancashire coast.

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Last night I made a little video montage of the footage I made during Comrades.: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5QrkmSspak

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

PMH and GM - Nice 5king - well done on the PB GM.

Good luck with the parkrun Gul My very limited experience of 5ks is that they are a suffer fest however you approach them but did read the first and last 5k should be your fastest.

Ni running for a couple of days due to a virus knocking me about - but it has given the other niggles a bit of time to fade - Off to fizz now for a bit of poking and prodding.

No running means I have started my reverse taper with a set of Peroni Intervals, 30 mins a bottle with a 2 min rest - 4 nr reps and a SB cool downimage. Intend to carbo load today.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Ant  - when is your race and what's it called? 20:23 in training is quick and I hope you hit your target.

Thanks AR - I mostly race 5k's as living on a small Island you are very limited as to what you can do. Would like to do a half sometime as my PB is 1:30 and I would like to get nearer 1:27. Jersey marathon training starts next week, can't believe it's only 14 weeks away! Plan is to do more long runs this time.

Bike It - I look forward to seeing your Comrades footage!  Nice luck with the VLM start!

Gul - Hope you get your sub 19!

Anyone else racing this w/end?

• Lunchtime 5k race in Hyde Park. 3.5 miles jog out as a warm up, quick chat with a few familiar faces and then off.

It is a damp Friday in London and an uphill start but get through in 3:28 and sitting nicely in a pack, then 2 ks come up on 3:37 so 7:03 and behind the 7 minute target I want to be at. 2 to 3 was hard with a dip and a climb and 3:39 looks Okish but another 2 like that and it that means 18 dead and the next comes in at 3:47, outside 6 minuet pace, so it is a case of recovering what I can from the race and with the first lady closing in I finish with a downhill 3:34 for 18:07 overall.

Not a PB, not sub 18, and it looks like it is just outside 80% WAVA so no real targets achieved but close to quite a few so not disheartened: you can't make PBs happen, all you can do is sow the seeds and nurture it and wait for a good crop.

Nice to see Rob at the end as well, chased me home.

• In other news, daughter #2 just got a 1st at Cambridge. Guess I will have to be a proud Dad for non-running reasons for a few days.

• Well done PMJ. Really nice to see you too. I totally agree about nurturing a PB but it all depends on the day...

I lost too much on the uphill start. I thought the other course around Hyde Park is a bit quicker. My first mile was 10 seconds below target and that set the tone of the rest of the race, finishing in 18:18.

I'm running the Assembly League 5k at Battersea Park next week, so hoping to beat my recent PB of 18:04.

Just building fitness now over the summer until I get the news on my ballot place at the London Marathon. Plan B is a place via the club.

Great to see so many of you running well at the moment.

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Hat doffed to miss PMJ.

Back from the fizz who has told me to lay off pacework or my niggles will become problems. Might have to get back into marathon training.

• Rob, are those Assembly races open or closed to just a collectionof clubs?

• Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)

Rob, are those Assembly races open or closed to just a collectionof clubs?

PMJ, they're open to most clubs in east and south-east London. There isn't a main website, but there are more details here http://www.serpentine.org.uk/pages/race_assembly.html

It's a very good standard and I tend to get much quicker times in those races than most others.

• PMJ - 'Nuff respect to your daughter, you must be rightly proud.

Gerard - As I'm spending the month of July in Southport, Lancashire (actually it's part of Maaiirseyside now) I'm doing the Southport HM on 7th July and the Lytham HM a week later, with Fraser and Mennania. Nothing special expected from me although I do seem to be slowly getting into some sort of form, so hoping at least for a season's best of sub 1:28:5x.

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Excellent PMJ! Congratulations to her and you

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Congrats to your daughter PMJ

I'm off to Keswick in the morning- expecting rain....nice w/end running to all.

• PMJ: cock to all this running lark, they don't dish out firsts from Cambridge because you've collected the attendance tokens. That's absolutely brilliant. The elite of the elite.

Then again, I have this suspicion that you're a light blue yourself. I'm red brick, but wife and little bro are dark blue.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    /members/images/76130/Gallery/P1020743.JPG

45C in the (non existent) shade today, might not go outside for a run. Hope you're all enjoying cool weather. Off to brave the treadmill-in-the-sauna thing now image

Congrats to PMJette, you must be a proud dad. Perhaps she could sign up for a PhD and live off the Bank of Mum and Dad for a few more years...

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Congratulations to PMJ and family!

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Bike is back from the shop today - new race tyres, new bottom bracket bearings and lubed up to within an inch of its life. Taper twitchiness has taken hold. Must start accumulating my race day snacks into a giant sack....

2hr ride planned for this afternoon (including bottle exchange practice with SJjrs) followed by 30min run. 

• Congrats to young PMJ - what's the next step for her now?

Hope you're enjoying the ride this afternoon SJ and having more luck than the boys in Corsica.

Poacher - looks lovely out there. Don't know what you're waiting for you lightweight!

Parkrun for me this morning with the new Mushas getting their first run out. They felt as light as a feather and I decided to follow PMJ's advice of going out fast and trying to hold on. First K in 3:37 (whoops) and the rest were all safely in the 3:5x zone so ended up with 6th place and a final time of 19:09.

It's not quite a PB but as the course was a tad more undulating than the course I set the PB on, I'm happy with that.

Re-ranking the results based on age grade, I came third, so I'm treating it as a sort of podium finish! image

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

PMJ -  congrats to daughter #2!
    Lorenzo - great parkrun and virtual podium place!
    PB at parkrun today for me - official result was 19:05. 1st mile-ish lap in 5:55 - so much for reigning it in! Didn't fade too much over 2nd lap - 6:09. Lost 2 places in the 3rd lap - 6:18. But managed to rally to do the last bit in 0:40. Not feeling 100% so really chuffed with the result. 7th place and 1st VM45-49 image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

That's brilliant Gul well done! 

And you too lozza. 

Bike it - thanks for your Comrades link. Really enjoyed it.  I want to pick your brains a bit more but I'll do it on the comrades thread.

So another successful week almost over. Getting right back into it and feeling good. Did a bit of a brick today with 7 @ 7:36, 14.5 on the bike then 3.5 slow (with Mr Minni - seriously we're talking 11 m/m!!). 14 planned for the morning. image

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Woo hoo, super parkruns, that bit of speed will pay off big time when you go up to "proper" distances later in the year

Dreadmill double today, 10k AM then 8k PM, absolute purgatory, literally dripping as if in a rainstorm due to humidity.

• FrazerelliFrazerelli ✭✭✭

Some top notch park running. Horrible but mercifully short Aren't they

Good to see you're getting in the groove again Minni

Rubbish attempt at an MP session from me today. One of thiose days the legs just wouldn't play nicely. Oh well - move on

Looking forward to catching up with Ant and Mennania in a couple of weeks

Week off next week - huzzah!!

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Are you here for your week off Fraser?  There's a 20m fell race on Saturday if you fancy it? image

I'm off up to the West of Scotland next week for a week of mountaineering, climbing, abseiling, kayaking, gorge walking etc. Should be fun. image Ah yes apart from the 68 kids I'm going with. 

• 68 kids? image Is that some kind of punishment?

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Well done, Gul.

Cotswold Way Relay for me today.  Female stage win in 1.35 for the 12 miles (course record is 1.28).  Think I could probably have pushed a bit more on the ascents, but didn't want to blow up in the heat (3pm start...).  We were 2nd team, but hopefully by more than a few minutes, or I'll be kicking myself!