Fatman to Ironman

Comments

• An open water conquest for me tonight image image

In the reservoir with Partner in Crime. Swam a couple of widths and HATED every second of it. Couldn't get my face in, couldn't breathe, serious panic. It's the black water thing. I've been scared of the dark (really scared, like phobic) for as long as I can remember, and I can't cope with being in water I can't see through.  The water in the reservoir is coming off a peaty hillside, and it's not black - it's BLACK.

So, PiC wouldn't let me get out of the water until we'd sorted me out. She suggested swimming parallel to the bank, in the shallower water. So we swam for a wee bit with me doing a sort of breaststroke. Because I could see just enough to have an idea of where the bottom was, and could see the bank anytime I turned my head, the anxiety subsided and I found I was able to keep going. We turned to swim back and I switched to fc and it just clicked. Felt bloody amazing image

• Awesome Nursey ... keep that in your mind on race day and you'll storm it

• Well done Nursey!

80 miler for me yesterday on the bike with a miserable brick run.  9 mile run today in the heat and humidity.  As Budgie scolded me, I made a "school boy error" with my hydration/nutrition yesterday.  First really hot ride of the year and I got behind on my hydration.  Once that happens, it's just a matter of time until the bonk hits.  It hit me about mile 65.

• Yank, much better for that to happen on a trainig ride than on a race mate to learn for it. If it's any good her in doors was mucking about with water info the other day it this is any help. link  

Nuesey very well done. image 

• Damn, I'm crazy. I signed up for Ironman Couer d'Alene 2014 yesterday.

• Good jawb Yank, you'll have a ball image

• Great job Nursey!  I'm starting to like OW swimming more than in a boring pool, but it took me a few sessions to get over the fear.  Doesn't mean I don't still have little moments of panic, but I just calm myself and put things into perspective.  

• Less than 6 weeks now til IMUK!  Heaviest training weeks.  And now after 24 weeks of injury-free triaining my knee's feeling ... weird.  Did a 70 mile bike on Friday and it was a bit achy afterwards, it doesn't hurt at all but feels a bit stiff and odd.  Ran a slow 4 miles yesterday and it was fine, and I'm planning on swimming tonight.  But thinking of leaving off the running for another few days and hoping it's just 'one of those things'.

• Yank tried to post a link for you about the water thing you might like the other day but my profile was b*ggered Not sure if you will find this useful but got a cool picture of a dog. linky

• Hi all from a still freaking injured & non training sossigedog. Clocks a ticking and it aint looking good image

On a cheery note. Will Hall from my tri club began the Eduroman Arch to Arc challenge this afternoon. You can track him here if your interested. He's around 21 miles into the run 

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0rbsK8naPLNJ4EOLlSqybWWTF9McFWcxZ

hope everyone else is well and training hard

• SD, amazing thing your buddy's doing.  I'll check in now and then.

And so sorry about the continuing injury.  I'm entering panic mode -- haven't trained enough, haven't done enough long bike rides, only swam half the IM distance so far, got a sore knee ...

On the other hand you've done loads of long rides and your swim endurance is tops.  You'll do fine.  I'm sure we both will  image  

• I havent ridden over 80 miles this year. Furthest ive ran non stop since VLM is 10k.

cant remember the last time i swam 2.4 miles either. 

Ironman in 5 weeks. Panic is an understatement. image

• Wills doing great, he's now at 43 miles, nearly past Maidstone. 

• One of the pirates did A2A the other year and rightfully gave up after swimming for 15hrs one armed. Good luck to him.

SD, you'll be fine.

• SD, I haven't ever ridden over 77 miles, I haven't swam anything over 1.2 miles and I haven't ran 1 yard for 6 weeks (none of this out of choice, of course!), and my Ironman is in 4 weeks. You'll be absolutely fine!

• Cheers Budge. Sruggling with the motivation big time what with everything going on.

you following Will? He's nearly at Dover image

• Yeah I've been following him, he's crazy!

• Just a smidge under an hour done on the bike.  15mph average, and if I manage that next weekend I'll be cock-a-bloody-hoopimage

In on my own tonight and all I want tonight is a bottle of vino and a mahoosive bag of crisps.  But I shall resist

• Do what makes you happy Nursey as long as it doesnt hamper plans for the next day

4.5hrs mountain biking for me ... damn hard work image

• 's ok - I have whisky image image

• Morning

Is it just my computer or is there something wrong with the little links under you user name? When i click on 'my forum' it goes to 'my settings'?

hottest & sunniest day of the year in Norwich. Typical i'm still not training image

• Trianglian Will Hall made it to within 2 miles of the French coast yesterday. Unfortunately he had experienced breathing difficulties for a while & so couldnt finish the swim. Shame, as he would have been on for the world record. Sterling effort though.

• Amazing achievement by your clubmate SD

I've had a lovely morning. Took wee one swimming and it was so nice to be in the water just bobbing around and having fun. Pretty much what it'll be like next Sunday, I reckon........

• The clubs had some amazing achievements this weekend. Will and his Arch to Arc attempt. Loads of successes at the superhero triathlon. A lady from the club completing her first Ironman in Austria last night in 15 hrs 31 mins.

I think it's remotivated me after 11 days off. I will begin biking and swimming this week. Will leave the running for at least another week though.

I do have a little event coming up on Sunday. The Norwich 6 bridge river swim.

Alibear, Budgie - Dont forget it's Gas Hill Gasp in Norwich on Friday as well.

http://www.lotuscycleracing.org/gas-hill-gasp-2013/

• Saw this in the Sunday paper.  Feel ok about the Outlaw swim now.

• Ah yes ouch.  I am not really on speedy sneakers and therefore leading, I am an improving runner A doing all the races on the grand prix. 

Just some comment on the TdF with GC being the way it is, it would appear likely that in addition to the glory of a stage win, the team winning tomorrow's stage will also take yellow. The following are the highest placed riders for each team and therefore the riders who are most likely (not guaranteed) to be in yellow tomorrow evening should their team win the stage.

1 Jan Bakelants (Bel) RadioShack Leopard 12:21:27 2 Julien Simon (Fra) Sojasun 0:00:01 3 Simon Gerrans (Aus) Orica-GreenEdge 4 Michal Kwiatkowski (Pol) Omega Pharma-Quick Step 5 Edvald Boasson Hagen (Nor) Sky Procycling 7 David Millar (GBr) Garmin-Sharp 8 Sergey Lagutin (Uzb) Vacansoleil-DCM Pro Cycling Team 9 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team 10 Romain Bardet (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 11 Nicolas Roche (Irl) Team Saxo-Tinkoff 12 Jurgen Van Den Broeck (Bel) Lotto Belisol 16 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Lampre-Merida 17 Eduard Vorganov (Rus) Katusha   19 Alejandro Valverde Belmonte (Spa) Movistar Team 29 Peter Sagan (Svk) Cannondale Pro Cycling 36 Bauke Mollema (Ned) Belkin Pro Cycling Team 41 Arnold Jeannesson (Fra) FDJ 43 Davide Malacarne (Ita) Team Europcar 70 Christophe Le Mevel (Fra) Cofidis, Solutions Credits 109 Tom Dumoulin (Ned) Team Argos-Shimano 0:13:01

I think we can probably discount Tom Dumoulin who, despite being the best placed Argos-Shimano rider is 13 minutes down.  All the rest are within one second.   Comment http://d2ride.co.uk/News-and-Blog.php