Thames Trot ultra 50 2014

just entered this, being bit by the ultra bug, after running the Born to run ultra last monthimage

Comments

• Ok. There is no ultra bug, that's probably a tick. You're not mad.
  • pinkbugpinkbug ✭✭✭

a nervous one thenimage

• KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭

I've entered. It will be my first ultra unless I can find something of the right distance later this year. Currently struggling to find something suitable though.

• This is a pretty good place to start. 

What is your running background?

• KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    1 year of running (was extremely overweight until a year ago). 4 half marathons culminating in a 1:45 a month ago and 1 marathon in 4:05 (London). Am thinking of trying the Sussex Stride 51 mile in September too now and using the following plan for both that and for this run:

http://www.scrunners.org/ultrasch.php?month=9&day=21&year=2013&dow=6&schedule=50m&submit=Draw+Schedule

Any view on this Ben? Is it reasonable?
  • Thinking of entering this one for next year .is it well supported ? Be a great early year run . Will keep me off the xmas pud..

• JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭

I'm in, not first ultra, the weather and conditions underfoot not to mention flooding are the main concerns. Hard to get lost as it is all way marked / sign posted so navigation is not a worry.
    Khanivore, not saying it is not possible to go straight to a fifty but you may want to try and find a 50-60km race this year and use that as a build up to the TT rather than go for a 51 mile in September. You will need to do at least one run up to 35 miles as a long run before a fifty anyway and much easier to do as a race rather than a solo run. I know after a year of running I wasn't strong enough to go straight to 50 miles. After 2 years I did a couple 30+ races and then did 50+ (Comrades) and that worked for me. We're all different and if you have the desire to do it then most likely you can, slow steady build up. Good luck and see you at TT!

• Easy to get lost if they change the course last minute again.

• JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭
    Tiago Hefner 2 wrote (see)

Easy to get lost if they change the course last minute again.

image There is that

• To be fair I can get lost at a 400 metre running track.

• I get lost trying to find the running track.

• Hey Khanivore, fancy seeing you here. this is a great event, I did it this year., but as others have said, maybe not one to do as first ultra.

I helped a friend train for a marathon last aug/ sept last year, with a few extra runs  used that to do a 35m Oct ultra instead, then pushed on over the winter with a few 20-25 mile events, to do this in Feb comfortably.

Plenty of 30-40 milers you could do before Feb.

• Khanivore

Firstly, sorry I took so long to reply. 

Yes, it is eminently reasonable. 

I did this event as my first 50, when my marathon time was 4.02, and I completed the race in about 9 hours. 

I basically jogged the first 25 miles, then switched to a strategy of run 25 minutes walk 5, later dropping the ratio to 20/5 then 15/5. 

If you do the same thing, you will likely get much the same result. 

• Hi all, I'm in for this one too. Can't wait. Won't be my first ultra, but as mentioned I reckon the biggest variable will be the weather / conditions underfoot. I think it'd be a tough first ultra, purely because 50 miles is a long way whichever way you cut it. Having said that, there's definitely no reason you couldn't do a 30 miler in October / November and feel good on the start line of the Thames Trot. I personally wouldn't do any further than a 50k / 30 miler in prep to this.

• Im in looking forward to it ...

• Hey peeps! Im in for this one as well. Will be my 3rd ultra image Definitely got the ultra tick.....maybe its just ringworm? 

aaaaaaaany who! 

I want to use this one to force me to get a little quicker, I really want to build up and get a 24hr 100 buckle image Ive done the NDW50 and Race to the Stones so far.

You all say "conditions underfoot". can this one get muddy? Need to come up with a solution as I run in sandals! image Also is this one quite flat, hence the 11 hour cut off?

• Yes, depending on the weather it can get quite muddy along the Thames Path. On my recce run along the second half of the official course before the race this year I was slipping and sliding quite a bit - in trail shoes - and in sections the mud was coming up over the tops of my feet (minimalist shoes, so people wearing shoes with thicker soles may have fared better in that respect).

TT50 is mostly flat, since it follows the Thames Path, IF it's not diverted, but there's one section where it goes away from the Thames and up a hill. This year it was diverted on race day and ended up being mostly on road and quite undulating, with sections along bridlepaths in ankle-deep mud (and deeper) - that's where two people twisted their ankles and had to limp to the next checkpoint and retire - and a bit back near the Thames of wading through water across a flooded meadow, which nearly reached my knees (okay, I'm only 5 ft 2) and was VERY COLD.

Have fun!image

• Thanks Debra! Looks like I might have to have a back up shoe or come up with a mud solution for the sandals! image

• Accept getting muddy feet???

I used to hill-walk in the Lake District in Teva sandals and waterproof socks in spring and autumn but that's not going to work with the Lunas.

If you're looking for a backup shoe, I do like the VivoBarefoot Neo and Neo Trail - I've now completed four 50-mile ultras in thee Neo Trail. I have the Breathos as well but they're slightly too narrow in the toes for me (tiny difference, but I can see the red area on my foot when I take the shoes off) - I wouldn't want to wear the Breathos for an ultra (but obviously it will depend on your foot shape).

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

What did the tarahumara do when it got muddy?

• I think they probably send an e-mail to the race organisers, WiB.

• getting muddy isnt the problem, keeping them in my feet is the problem image

Dear race organiser,

please have a word with the almighty to make sure it doesnt rain.

Lots of love and hugs

The Tarahumara

maybe a different lacing type is in order? failing that I might grab some Altra as I find the Vivo a little narrow

• Can someone give me a heads up on what type of trainers will be best for this please?

Cheeeeeeeeeeeersimage

• Really depends, Kritter. I would suggest trail shoes. If it's frozen, nothing aggressive, if it's flooded, something grippy. Could be anything, but if I had to gamble I'd go for a trail shoe as it could well be muddy. Some will wear road shoes, some will wear mud claws.

• loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭

Are you guys even hoping a teeny bit  tht there won't be mud at this one ?;) I think it's a given isnt it. I'm deciding in wether to do this one , but it's all dependant on if I can find my wellies image

• ha ha ha LLB mighy have to make some sandal wellies image

• Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
    Budjude wrote (see)

wouldnt they have to call you ' ironman and london marathon finisher'? image

Haven't they disowned him for being a prat yet ?

Tiago Hefner 2 wrote (see)

Really depends, Kritter. I would suggest trail shoes. If it's frozen, nothing aggressive, if it's flooded, something grippy. Could be anything, but if I had to gamble I'd go for a trail shoe as it could well be muddy. Some will wear road shoes, some will wear mud claws.

thanks TH2 it seems there is no right or wrong on this side as I expected. When/If I enter then I'll put some more thought in to what footwear to aquire.

I'll keep a look out for the sandal wellies image

• I will be easy to find, ill be the guy with blue feet image

• I've entered this again next year after running it this year (my first and only ultra).  Prior to this I had run just 4 marathons and nothing further, and in training my furthest run was 25 miles.  I did although run 6 times per week (twice on one day) with two back-to-back longer runs.  I took alot of advice from an ultra-runner friend and had a comprehensive training plan to follow from our club coach.  The theory was 'running on tired legs' in training would get me round the 50 miles - and it certainly did!!!

I got used to eating 'real' food on the go, supplemented with gels.  We ran the first 15 miles and then deployed a 25/5 run/walk strategy which worked perfectly although I feel I could have gone faster as my legs felt great at the end and could have gone another 20 miles!

I used to feel that to walk was to give up but having trained with my experienced ultra friend and having him pop into Tesco and meet us with mince pies and hot chocolate to sit on a bench and eat, I learnt it was ok!!!

I live in Reading and recced most of the Thames Path which wasn't much good on the day as the route was diverted!!  Just as well I never got to run the final leg in training as we never finished along the Thames anyway but we did get lost heading from Sonning to Henley!