Giants Head Marathon - June 2013

Comments

• We wont be doing it again I don't think! but the fact we can say we have done an Ultra Marathon has made our day! image

• Brilliant day yesterday helping out image Goldie and the team did a cracking job, especially having to deal with the last minute nightmares of preggers and TB inflicted cows.  It will always be hard if a race is a wee bit over, but much better that than being under. Imagine going through all that and it didn't count?! Hehehehe, that'd be horrific.

well done to everyone who raced yesterday, it was great seeing folk appear at the other side of the field around mile 20. Can't wait for next year image

• 1.7 miles over 26.2 is a bit more than ' a wee bit'.

• Any ideas if the results have been posted anywhere and I have missed them? I was curious how close to the back I was image

• Give them chance, it's only 24 hours on........

• My Bad just thought they my have gone on Facebook which I don't use etc

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

there's a short note on the FB page which says something along the lines of as soon as Bruce has use of his digits then results will be up.

• Yeah come on Bruce, stop slacking!!! Hehehehe

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

still no sign of leg soreness, maybe I dreamt the whole thing?
    Once again thanks to all those in the organistation and support on the day. Absolutely perfect, and I even treated myself to a post race shower, I never realised how good that would feel!
    Joking aside - any idea when results will be up, not that I'm in any great rush.

• Really enjoyed it will be back next year

• Feel great today minus the sun burn. Good to see others struggled and are saying it was difficult makes me feel better. It was a really great memorable day. Did anybody else see the bloke in the bath after a couple of miles. He was in a tin bath in a barn. I don't think the sun had got to me by then?

• TV - he was there. The photos are on FB and one was added to the Giants Head Marathon page image

I enjoyed it in the end. I lost the will to live around 15 miles and if it hadn't been for my new running buddy at that point I don't seriously think I would have made it.

• Sorry guys, did the touristy thing in Weymouth yesterday so didn't get back Oop North till late last night.

Just got 10K results through now so will post them up as soon as I get chance (and am just chasing mara now too, so will post those as soon as I get them!)

• SorryBruce didn't want to come across pushy image  I just think we all wanted to know how bad we did.

I'll check out the pics lol nobody believed me image Is he booked again for next year? Maybe a woman for the blokes

• image Apparently he has volunteered to be a naked tail runner next year! image

• In more than one sense then Saffy image

• Just saw the pic and he has a bottle of beer in his hand lol Classic

• 10K results now up image

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

The link on the White Star page doesn't work properly - it just goes back to the home page.

• Apparently the famer's wife will also be there next year, hahahahaha

Where are the results Bruce?

• Wilkie, it should work (does OK for me), what browser are you using.

Lee, they should be here ... http://www.whitestarrunning.co.uk/results.php

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I was clicking on the 'find us on facebook' box in the bottom right of the home page, where is says that the results are available.

It works if I click on the results button near the top!

• ooh, I see what you mean now Wilkie, that's a little strange (and I think may be out of my control) as the link works fine from the Facebook page itself, so I think it is something to do with how the Facebook feed is saving the link.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I had one of the toughest days out there but had so much fun during the weekend from the camping and general comradery.

paul a wrote (see)

1.7 miles over 26.2 is a bit more than ' a wee bit'.

If it'd been 1.7 miles under - there would be a lot more to complain about. I didnt trust my garmin during the race purely for the fact that we were running through so many trees and forests that it's hard to gauge an accurate distance (Thanks VR for reminding me of that!). Add in the 10% rule of your garmin getting it wrong and it might not be as bad as you think. Yes, it's a little over but i'd prefer a little over than a little short.

GB - you're a complete legend for putting this race on. Scenary was great, Marshals were fantastic. My only slight niggle would be making sure that there was enough food in the evening but I think you've already got plans for that next year. I think everyone enjoyed the kebabs and pizza anyway!

This race is a hard mofo but it's the most scenic and stunningly beautiful race that i've ever done. We were down on the campsite from Friday afternoon and had a lovely time getting to know everyone.

I would recommend this to everyone who wants to see the best of British racing and the UK running community.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

back again
    Emmy - are garmins ever 10% out ? 1 or 2% I can understand, and unless I am suffering with more heat exhaustion than I first thought, I don't recall a large amount of trees and forests...That said I'm no garmin dependent junkie - have a cheap thing that I occasionally use, and you are quite right, I'd rather it be over than under.
    Similarly an official/marshall at the end said that the 10k was nearer 11 or 11.5 anyway, which the times would suggest to be true.
    I have no quibbles at all, stunning race and perfect organisation, cheery marshalls and more than enough scoff at the finish. Couple of places that I might have put an extra marker (just for reassurance - I didn't get lost) but small beer really.
    As usual, I've gone from 'last marathon' and 'never hills again' to 'what next' and 'hilly ultras' typed into google.
    Damn you....

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Dustin - you could be right - I just know that a garmin should never be trusted fully for accurate measurement.

There were a fair few trees/forests/covered sections.

• goldbeetlegoldbeetle ✭✭✭

As for the route this what i said on Facebook

Just a note about the extra miles in the marathon (we wont mention the 11km ....10km race) 
    Lats week we had to reroute the marathon at about 20 miles. There was an issue with 3 separate herds of cows all at different stages of gestation (thats up the duff) that couldn't be moved or mixed together. We had to marshall about 5 gates and our runners would have to run through a lot of big black and white things that as John Griffin one of our fantastic farmer friends said they are "nosey buggers" and will follow people.100 or so half a ton of nosey bugger cows and 200 runners do not mix well. 
    So we had about 7 days to find a new route. This is where the problem started. We had to go onto the road, which we didn't like and head east taking a bigger loop.
    We couldnt measure the route we just had to go with it. That added well over mile. Sorry it was an oversight on our part and it will be different next year. There will also be a water station at higher City farm at about 24 miles.
    One idea I had yesterday was to have an ice cream van on the course at strategic points. I thought a 99 at 9 miles would be a great idea but i may be out voted by the rest of the White Star team

Paul A you have lived in the countryside you know how farms work it was hard work trying to deal with 7 different working farms on a tight timetable. Talk to other race directors they will tell you how difficult it is.

• Mara results now up on website image .... talk about being a mid-pack runner image

• I didn't say it wasn't difficult, as long as you are addressing the problems for next year then one can't ask for more. 

• GB - a '99' at 19 would have been awesome image