Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Yes yes, you win.  For now.

• Rest day today but legs feel pretty good so feel I should go to the gym and do half an hour on the bike.

Gulitily I seem to be just watching some other men cycling on ITV4 instead.

• DLR you're telling me that's not the same as doing it yourself?? Bugger I knew I was going wrong somewhere...

• yer_maj wrote (see)

Me too....guardian TDF blog gets me through the day...chances of getting any work done, slim to none...image

I went with streaming Eurosport tucked beneath my monitor! image

• Emmy - I love that most of the comments under that picture are along the lines of 'I can't believe I didn't notice a naked man in a bath!'. Makes me feel better about missing the Eiffel Tower image.

Lovely Mr Physio had another go at my leg this morning - went in with no pain, came out hobbling image. I hope it's sorting something out. Interestingly he suggested I ditch the elastic laces on my running shoes - fine for short runs, but he reckons for longer runs you're better off with the support you get from ordinary laces.

Meanwhile, I'm doing so much cross training my thighs are starting to get enormous. I want to look AT Mark Cavendish, not LIKE him image.

Question. My first Paris marathon was in 2009, but I don't appear to have a t-shirt from that year, and I can't even remember what it looked like. I didn't do 2010, 2011 was red, 2012 was yellow and this year was green. Anyone remember?

• You're right Jimbob - was from sequel.

Anyone heard from Keyser Suze lately? Brunette, 5ft something, last seen heading to Glastonbury with cigarettes and alcohol.

• Think the 2009 shirt was a naff white cotton T-shirt with a simple black line drawing of the Eiffel Tower and Arc RR. Probably have it at the bottom of a drawer in a house I can't easily get in and out of anymore... and with it, my ability to watch British TV convenient TDF 1hr highlights. Here in Belgium, they don't do highlights. It's live for 5 hours or nothing. Proper cycling fans only, no part-timers!

Am pleased to report that happiness is creeping back in to my life though, even if the running and cycling is not.

• Good to hear TD image. I think you might be right about the t-shirt -I vaguely remember it now - it was also too small so I think I binned it eventually.

Has anyone been into their profile on the site recently? Apparently my weekly mileage is 'half a stone' image.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

RR - They're "improving" it dontcha know?image

TD - good to hear!

Running Rodent wrote (see)

Emmy - I love that most of the comments under that picture are along the lines of 'I can't believe I didn't notice a naked man in a bath!'. Makes me feel better about missing the Eiffel Tower image.

I heard this man shouting something and I thought: oh dear - an angry farmer.... not what he shouted ("Tell me when the last runner comes through and i'll encourage them by standing up")

I had a physio session in a field on sunday morning and it was surprisingly alright!

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Bit of an odd request but, has anyone ever trained for a marathon run at altitude? RR - Ethiopia?

I'm thinking of changing my plans for next year and one possibility is the Denver marathon, so I'm interested in the best way to prepare for the event.

Emmy - how long was that guy in the bath? The result may not have been very encouraging image

• Orbutt wrote (see)

Emmy - how long was that guy in the bath? The result may not have been very encouraging image

That's a very personal question!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    TheEngineer wrote (see)
    Orbutt wrote (see)

That's a very personal question!

I missed him unfortunately so cannot answer it. He's a great character though!

• I may run again one of these days...Is anybody else ever frightened that they won't every run again after a break?

I've finally got the pain under control but the tiredness is overwhelming.

One for the girls: Net-a-Porter is having a sale and they have 3 styles of Shock Absorber sports bras for 18 pounds or less.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Marathon Maus wrote (see)

One for the girls: Net-a-Porter is having a sale and they have 3 styles of Shock Absorber sports bras for 18 pounds or less.

Never mind the girls, after 2 weeks of cake, ice-cream and beer I need one myself.

Maus, you will run again and you will be fab.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Thanks for that Maus. I just dont know my size anymore... :/

You'll be rocking it once you're back to full health. Just make sure that you're fully recovered!

• Orbutt: You deserved it!

Emmy: I know - it's really hard. When I lost weight, my bra size jumped all over the shop for ages. They do have really accurate measurements on the Net-a-Porter site for each item (not just the usual conversion table for the sizes from different countries) and the return service is excellent. You call DHL and they come and pick it up from you for nothing.

• Being the non-native English speaker that I am, this chart would have been so useful in avoiding cultural miscommunication...

http://designtaxi.com/news/358877/Chart-What-British-People-Say-VS-What-They-Really-Mean/

(I tried to post the chart here, but the writing got teensy-weensy)

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Maus - It's quite strange. At the moment i'm trying them on to see what works and fits. The issue is that the sizing in Europe is a little different so what fits in the UK - doesnt necessarily fit here.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

I may run again one of these days...Is anybody else ever frightened that they won't every run again after a break?

Despite evidence to the contrary I pretty much start every marathon training program thinking I'm not sure that I can do this/how did I do that a few months ago?

After a run of niggling injuries over that last year I'm starting to wonder if my days of going long on runs might be coming to an end, or at the very least being cut back. I think I managed such a long time of no injuries at all for a good 5/6 years since starting running that the constant niggles these days are hard to put up with.

Unlike our Emmy I don't enjoy races/training unless I have a target time to hit. I tried it with Paris and London this year and I found the training to be a mental struggle if I'm not getting faster and aiming for a PB.

• Orbutt - I'm not sure there's much you can do to prepare for running at altitude, other than running at altitude. I noticed in Ethiopia that it was noticeably harder to walk up three flights of stairs in Addis Ababa, and when we went up to run in the hills at about 10,000 feet there was a definite lack of oxygen. However, the race itself was about 5,000 feet, which is about the same height as Denver, and that wasn't nearly so bad. But adaptation to altitude is a very personal thing, and not related to fitness. So I guess all you can do is get there as long as you can before the race to give yourself time to acclimatise.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

They do have really accurate measurements on the Net-a-Porter site for each item  

You have to measure them individually?image

RR - Thanks. Always good to have personal experience to call on.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Maus -

1. What the English would say "That article is accurate in a couple of ways"

2. What we mean "Spot on"

3. What others think we mean "Wildly innaccurate"

Of course it can also be twisted against us

1. "Maus - you'll be back running like the wind very soon"

2. "Maus - you'll be back running like the wind very soon"

3. "You're just saying that to be nice"

So, to avoid any confusion I will engage the English-Australian translator.

HTFU and get your lazy ar5e out thereimage

1. "I hope she realises I'm Joking"

2. "I was joking"

3. "He means it"

• Liked that article Maus, very funny and apt. How about if I was to offer you some personal coaching and mentoring. I think I've learnt a thing or two about it now from Kaz.  I could stand by the side of your bed waiting for the 4 o'clock alarm to go off, start screeching in your ear about what a lazy moo you are, yell at you to get out of bed and "give me 20 NOW!" (sit ups of course) and then we could go out for a 20km tempo run up a mountain in hail and rain while I keep bawling at you. And somewhere along the line you'd start crying...

Kaz's (putting the) Boot-in Camp stylee image

Actually, I dount you are like that at all Kaz, but the image amuses me.

Did a terrific 15+km run in hot midday sunshine and it felt wonderful. That happiness seems to be seeping back in. Might even be able to make a useful go at running ITLR in 12 DAYS TIME!!

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

TD I need to come and watch this.  Particularly the 4 am bit....

I did 5k this morning and it was hideous.  HR still up, virus still hanging around...

Eggy - sounds like some massage/osteopathy might help...I got stuck in a rut of niggles for 6 months and was despairing, but after some intensive and targeted massage (mainly his elbows in my arse and groin) I'm feeling pretty good.  Time, patience and not giving up after a couple of weeks have paid dividends.  My bank manager may disagree, however...image

• I've just realised you can apply online for the EHIC form - good idea for running abroad.
    (I know I work for the NHS etc. but am clearly a bit thick as I thought this was just an accepted thing when you presented your passport having required health care abroad...)

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/EHIC/Pages/about-the-ehic.aspx

• YM - I'm sure the Eggster has some help at home these days re: massaging etc?!

Sorry to hear you're in the throes (sp?) of viral annoyances. It will pass. I too feel like crap and have avoided running for far too many days for similar reasons. Would prefer to be much better prepped for ITLR.

Glad TD's able to double up for my shifts tooimage

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

yer_maj - Some physio might possibly help, but finances are currently dictating that ain't happening.

At least this hamstring strain from last Monday seems to be clearing up now. The groin injury from last autumn still doesn't fell 100%! I'll need to try and get out for a short jog tomorrow night to try and test things out. I need to spend this evening working on the ITLR site.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Hmmm...in that case there's only one thing for it - get yer girl to stick her elbow in your groin for free....

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    yer_maj wrote (see)

Hmmm...in that case there's only one thing for it - get yer girl to stick her elbow in your groin for free....

Sounds painful!

• The JimbobThe Jimbob ✭✭✭

Ian - make sure you use the official EHIC application - there are "agents" (scammers) out there that will charge you £25 for getting you the card that you can get for free. Don't pay a penny!

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/EHIC/Pages/about-the-ehic.aspx