Tuesday 2nd July 2013

Morning.

Lyrics - You're looking for a way out, I can feel it

Clock is ticking Blisters - I'm beginning to feel the pressure. Hope the shop have sorted your bike. New front mech is unusual.

Take it easy Paddy!

Sounds as though you're enjoying Harris OH. Hope the weather is kind.

What:                     swim/short ride
Why:                      easier Tuesday after the long ride
Last hard:              30/6
Last rest:               27/4

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• Morning LMH

What: A bike session later.

Why: Just fancy getting on the bike today.

Lyrics: Not sure

Catch up time

Walked Geordie for his usual morning session. Dry, warm no wind.

Coffee calling

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

howdie,

the more I hear about bicycles the more I hear 'money pit'
    Mind you, I have two daughters who are at 'that' age, so I have my very own money crater to contend with...
    what - club night, will be in the easy group though
    why - recovery. Did 3.5ish along the Thames yesterday in ~30mins. Felt better than I was anticipating.
    Results up for Saturday, 32nd out 187 in 4.47.27, winner did 3.47 and according to Po10 he's a 2.35 marathon runner.
    last rest - sunday
    last hard - saturday
    lyric - think I do

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Morning

Yesterday's lyrics: REM shiny happy people

What: core, I think (bauch power - not sure what it's going to entail, literally stomach power, so I'm hoping core)
    Why: need to do more core, and a class helps me to do this
    Last hard: running home in ballet pumps in a thunderstorm last night!
    Last rest: 20/6

Dustin I agree, bikes sounds like money pits!  

Time to start job applications again, my contract ends in 6 months and there's not much in my field around here so need to start early.

Have a good one all

• Morning again

emzap :Good song for yesterday.

Re cost of bikes, cycling kit.

Saw advertised in 'Cycling Weekly' edition of 9th May 13.

'Team Sky Replica Jersey' for £75

KTM Revelator Prime Bike - £5,549.99 !

Had posted this on a thread in General recently

Oh and saw a local cyclist this morning wearing what I assume is  a replica 'Team Sky' jersey on. 

• weather wet and windy again in Harris

what: undecided

why: see above

bikes - and I thought a TT bike was one destined for the isle of Man!

Eldest daughter came off mountain bike at weekend - no bones broken but apparently took SIX xrays to establish that fact. Rather bruised today.
  • 1.8k swim d&d. Easy spin later.

I'm taking it easy.

Regarding bikes - LMH - congrats on new addition.

Bikes - one fella I know has 5 - One on the Turbo, one general road for training, one MTB, One TT for racing TT or Tri's and one road for racing. The total value is something over 10k. He talks like this is normal. Now to compete properly you probably need a good TT bike. You need one for training and of course its a pain changing the wheel and setting up the Turbo every time you want a session on the damn thing (3 total). I'm surviving on one bike with a spare wheel for the turbo (as it wears the tyre pdq). Mine is a road bike with "strap on" TT bars. Read an article recently which made staggering performance comparisons between TT and road bikes for TT/ Tri competition. Anyway, I simply cant afford a TT bike - if I can stretch I'll invest in a pair of new wheels as opinion has it there are big gains to be made with a nice new set of "deep rims". For now I will admire!!

Incidentally, I recently spoke to another dedicated cyclist (cycles 20,000k a year) who reckoned that maintenance of his bike stock costs €2,000.00 per year. 

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

Morning all

lyrics, slightly feel I should..

emzap I should have known your lyrics

Dustin, and that crater never ends...

what: tai chi am, squats lunges etc

why: felt the need

last hard: sunday

last easy: yesterday

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

... we need DD on here re. bike talk. He has a fair collection if I remember image

emzap: Bauch Power will typically be an abs class (six pack stylee). If you are lucky they stick a few deep abs exercises in as well for a bit of proper core image

what: 8.5 easy miles plus drills
    why: P&D week one starts now
    last hard: drills! They make me very self conscious as you look a right old twat doing them image
    last rest: 24/6
    lyrics: no

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Wabo - thanks for the reassurance....image

• DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

Afternoon!  In Benidorm at the moment, till Saturday.  Hoped to run while here but it's just too hot.  Added to that, this place is truly mental so sleep isn't particularly easy! Hope everyone has a good running week. image

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Chicka thank you image  It's only 30 mins, so hopefully I won't end up with a six pack!  Fingers crossed there's some core in there somewhere then image

Don enjoy your holiday

• I'd love a six pack emzap!

Paddy - I have my old road bike (originally £500) on the turbo. Ruby has clip on aero bars (she cost £1300) and I have a set of race wheels (£700) as well as a hybrid (£400) and now the TT bike - which the race wheels will be used on too. My race wheels by me a mph. The guy who did my bike size (that wasn't selling me a bike) reckoned that he could get me another 2mph on a well fitted TT bike and as it would have cost me at least 3k to get anything better than Ruby and she is over five years old I've allowed myself to be talked into it. Whether I'll live to regret that or not remains to be seen but I've done the training and lost the weight so this is my next step. Assuming I don't fall off the thing.

Swim swum but turbo session calling this afternoon. Will have lunch and let it settle first though!

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

stupid question, but what exactly is a TT bike as opposed to a road racing one?

I know nothing about bikes (probably didn't have to say that as it's quite obvious) image

• Time Trial - with the aero bars incorporated into the frame, more aerodynamic, more aggressive riding position.

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Survived bauch power and it was a mixture of core and "six pack" work.  LMH a 6 pack no, just a flat toned stomach would be nice image  Oh and some hip stability so I can run more!

• (male opinion)

I'm with Emzap here

- 6pack NOT a good look on a girl!

actual: Tshop2Tshop (short walk to justify 1st Tshop, leisurely pool swim to justly 2nd)

... Intent on keeping his 6pack well hiddenimage
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

I would say no to a six pack either.....image (and Mrs RFJ would like that too)

Been away with work the last 2 days... 2 long days, did escape into the warwicksire countryside this morning for a swift 5.25m though....

See the Doc tomorrow regarding my very full of fluid knee..... (expecting to be told not to run...... but as said a few days back, still no pain when I run / walk etc, just when I bang it or try to kneel....)

Take care

• donaldo: Enjoy Benidorm.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Evening!

Lyrics: sure do...not.

What: 10 mins warm up, 2k in 9:51, 2 and a half mins recovery, 1k in 4:41.
    Why: pacing . Felt good but couldn't run much quicker. Poured down during the abbreviated warm down.

Hope you get good news on the knee, RFJ.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.