Garmin Forerunner 110 GPS Watch

I'm thinking of buying said Garmin watch. I've looked at other cheaper products but have possibly come to the conclusion that this may be the best watch for the price.

Has anyone else got one and liked/disliked it?

Also I welcome anyones offer of an alternative. Or weather a higher priced watch may be better

Comments

• Personally I wouldn't look at the 110, either pay a bit extra and get the 210 or pay a bit less and get the 10.

The 210 will do all that the 110 can and more and the 10 can do nearly all of the 110 but with the added cool feature of virtual pacer. 

I have both the 210 and the 10. I find the 10 is handy for light training ie week night jogs/runs. The virtual pacer feature is also very handy in races to keep you on pace. I also wear the 10 as a regular watch day to day.

The 210 is a very capable watch for all kinds of training as you can pair it with a heart rate monitor and train to a zone. You can also set it for intervals should you want to train that way. It gives good instance pace/speed along with all the usual pace speed averages ect. You can pair the 210 to a foot pod and use the watch in the gym which is handy, it'll also pair to some weighing scales and gym equipment.

My advice, 10 or 210.

• I've had two. I think they're fine......but both eventually died after a couple of years; I don't think the battery is that great. 

I bought a 405 at Christmas (it was on offer) and the differences are (1) it finds the satellite much quicker (2) much quicker wireless upload to Garmin connect and (3) the 110 used to do these little elevation spikes randomly that made the elevation data useless.

• Depends how sophisticated your needs are really.  I have the Forerunner 110 and find it is fine for me - all I need is my pace and distance run and the upload so I can 'see' my runs and record them.  I don't use a heart rate monitor or a gym so don't need other functions. The charging clip is a nuisance though - fiddly to use.

• Like Foz said the 110 seems to be in a middle ground no mans land. I'd go either 210 or 10. 

Torguayrunner...From what you describe whivh is pretty typical for the average runner, you could have saved a few quid and bought the 10. 

• Have to confess I didn't know the 10 was available? Is it new and cheaper?  Have had mine about 18 months or more so maybe wasn't out then?  Mine was £99 from Sweatshop.

• is there still a problem with condensation?

• I've not had any problems with condensation.

I think the 10 is fairly new out, its £99 on the garmin site but I picked mine up for £89. Garmin are asking £139 for the 110 so £99 is a good price.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I've seen the 110 for £89 on A.z.n.

I've got one of these but don't give much thought to its accuracy since it varys from one day to the next. I assume the higher end models are better than this.

I just use it to clock up basic miles. 

🙂

• I have the 110 and have had it about a month now....its a good bit of kit if you just want to track your run and see your pace/heart rate. Does take about 20 seconds to locate satellites though which can be a pain if it is cold.

Satellite acquisition takes about the same time as my 4 year old garmin 705 bike computer

Paid £79 for mine (with the HR strap) as PCWorld seemed to be clearing them for new stock..

• Had my 110 for 18 months. It is great so no major complaints from me. Starting can be a pain as the sat pick up is failry slow (maybe 1 min) and the starting point can be a little off but the accuracy once going is really good. It usually plots me to within a couple of meters of the line I am running.

The functions are all I need, footpod would be nice for the winter but I have no interest in virtual partner or anything fancy.

The 10 looks good but having less battery life puts me off. When these things go mid run it is annoying so the more battery I have the less I am charging.

Take a look at dcrainmaker.com for more than you would ever want to know about these.

• Have just looked at the 10 and it says battery life - up to 5 hours - which doesn't seem much!  If you are doing a marathon and you are not a sub 3hour demon then I wouldn't fancy relying on that!

• I've got one and it's a nice little watch, basic of course but perfectly fine for me. I've done a few 4ish hour long runs and yes, the advertised 5 hour battery life is probably about right as it starts indicating low battery around the 4 hour mark for me. 

I don't have especially complicated needs like some people (I don't use pacer/HR etc) but the only thing I found it was missing was that it doesn't calculate your overall min/mile pace during the run. It only shows your current pace. 

Still for an entry level watch, I like it. 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I'll confess that the 110 has sent my training into another dimension. Its nothing fancy but accumulating miles before your eyes is curiously motivating.

Just one more mile perhaps.

🙂

• Torquayrunner wrote (see)

Have just looked at the 10 and it says battery life - up to 5 hours - which doesn't seem much!  If you are doing a marathon and you are not a sub 3hour demon then I wouldn't fancy relying on that!

I was initially worried about that too. I used my 10 for the Manchester Marathon a couple of months ago. I finished in 4:04 and the watch was showing only half of the battery used at the end.

•  

welcomebrand wrote (see)

the only thing I found it was missing was that it doesn't calculate your overall min/mile pace during the run. It only shows your current pace. 

Do you mean you can't upload the runs to Garmin Connect either - that's where I see my average pace for the run.  If I can't upload them then I wouldn't get it - that is the best part!

• Torquayrunner wrote (see)

welcomebrand wrote (see)

the only thing I found it was missing was that it doesn't calculate your overall min/mile pace during the run. It only shows your current pace. 

Do you mean you can't upload the runs to Garmin Connect either - that's where I see my average pace for the run.  If I can't upload them then I wouldn't get it - that is the best part!

Runs can be uploaded to Garmin Connect from the 10, it just doesn't give the option of seeing average pace whilst running, only current pace.

• Thanks for all your advie people. I had pre-ordered a 110 at argos but I wont be collecting it. I will put a bit of money by and get myself a 210 as it seems you get what you pay for. 

My run app on my phone will do for the time being