Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• I used to work in a frozen food factory, and we could take sausage rolls whenever. I went of them for a few years, but am quite partial to them now.

Looking forward to my first proper test run on Sun or Mon. Currently doing 10mi a day on the bike minimum. Last week was ~250km.

I used to fish, did so for quite a few unsuccessful years. I think I went an entire year in my club without catching anything. Similar in ways to my running career image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Cause for concern that Dean. Hopefully the twinge was just something un-sticking itself under pressure.

Bus, I was running a production line that shifted something like 30kg of those things (mini cheddars) per minute. And the conveyor belt that brought them in didn't stop 24/7. It was sheer bloody manic. 

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dean, those 400s are so fast they're almost making my body twitch, let alone you doing them! But stopping sounded eminently sensible. Some would just have foolishly monstered through.

Ah Ric, any excuse to shoehorn in the fish pics!! I take your nothing to prove view, but for me, it's a continual proving that you can still do it, can still compete etc.

Off for a 12 at 7am from work. Thought it's been a while since I did one of these. Checked the records, 10 weeks ago!

Have been a couple of 9&10s though, but when you factor in the Bupa 10k before and after, and the last 3 weeks dealing with this pelvis thing, albeit it not really missing any running, and time soon zooms away... 

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Wayhey - I'm on an all time list on Po10! 708th V45 parkrunner image

I can retire happy now image

Dean - like others have said, wise to bow out. Hope it sorts itself out. Good session Mr See, especially on a wind affected track.

Ric. That's put us in our plaice.... (30kg per minute is about how fast my kids eat mini cheddars too!)

Iron - similar expereince when my dad used to work in a facotry making suasage rolls, pasties etc. Quickly went off them at the time, but am now partial to a cornish pasty or three image

SG - that's a tough start to the day!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Made it a bit tougher than necessary too...came out 6.48 pace...even though i was trying to slow it for most of it, and even though by the end it felt like I was doing some "ultra shuffle" or something.

Can't be in too bad a place, unless my pelvis is going to snap off! Either way, no runs until Friday now!

Nice work on the AT list...even if V45 is one of those dodgy categories image

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

My food-related experience was working in a cheese-packing factory as a summer job.  The cheese would come in in big blocks, often covered in a disgusting white, gloopy preservative, then it'd go through the slicer and through the packaging machines.  Here's a fun quiz: if a piece fell on the floor, do you think it (a) got chucked into the waste bucket or (b) got scraped on the machinery a couple of times and put back on the production line?  No prizes for that one.

My moment of glory was being told I was the best on the line at sticking little labels saying 'NEW!' onto the packets as they came down the line.  It's been all downhill from there.

Didn't put me off cheese for long though, because ... well, it's cheese, isn't it.

Good repping by Dean, fantastic pace.  Hope the achilles thing doesn't turn out to be anything to worry about.  I suppose with middle distance focus, your muscles are operating in a whole new world of pain.  Good paces by SS too, given the wind.  Nice pace SG.

I like to imagine Ric's house is covered from wall-to-wall in pictures of him with various fish.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

cheers chaps, will take the day off today and do stretches and weights in the gym instead of an 8m.  Its not a searing pain but i can feel it when i walk and there is a slight limp so as i havent hit my targets on the track yet i cant afford to get benched for 3 weeks with injury so will try and be sensible. 

nice work SS - notice that session is not on the project stoke plan so dont expect to get the same rewards image

congrats on the all time list Bus - perhaps a t-shirt is due that you can wear at the next parkrun to exude your dominance image

Ric - is there any skill involved in fishing, i thought it was a bit like freshers week in that you just got your rod out and see what bitesimage

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Track Tuesday for me last night too and very similar to your session Dean but NOWHERE near those paces! 6 mins threshold (5.42 pace) then 2x(5x400) off 100m jog (3mins between sets). Target was 3k pace so 76 per lap. Hit 72 (keen!), 76,75,76,76 then 76,75,76,77,75. here's hoping the achilles is feeling better today Dean.

SS - Tough session but you must have felt strong to nail that 400m at the end. nice work!

Ric - i know nothing about fishing - it was usually just an excuse for me to go sit with my mates who did and get pissed and stoned to be honest. I can however, appreciate a 2lb perch.

Iron - good luck mate. best advice i had when coming back from injury was 'run slow and pick a flat soft grassy field!'

SG - sounds like you're back in the saddle. good to hear.

Dachs & Bus - so, the marathon training has begun huh. if ever there's and excuse to eat either mini cheddars or huge gurt lumps of the stuff, it's right there.

Worst factory job I had was at a turkey farm in the lead up to Christmas. My position on the converyor 'belt' was to stick my hands into the freshly cut neck, fiddle around and locate the wind pipe at the top of the spine and with a quick sharp yank, remove it in one. yep, fantastic job compared to the guy after me - his job was to cut the arsehole out with a black and decker jigsaw.

• The Bus wrote (see)

Wayhey - I'm on an all time list on Po10! 708th V45 parkrunner image

I can retire happy now image

Just had a look at that list, indeed I see you on page 8, go forward a few pages and I am on page 5 at 434. Have no clue why the all time rankings for parkrun go down to 19:00 at v45 but for 5k they stop at 15:00.

I spent about 3 or 4 months working in a food factory. Usual tales about frozen food and rats etc but our best was the bacon toboggan. Piglets typically fatten in the summer but we eat bacon all year round so there are massive frozen stores full of bacon. Before it is sliced and packed for the supermarkets it has to be defrosted so we had a defrost facility. We would take sides of bacon wrapped in plastic out of storage in cardboard boxes and stack then on shelves to defrost. This means we literally had a mountain of cardboard so would stack it in the corner and we soon worked out that you could sit ion a side of bacon and slide down the card mountain: hence bacon toboggan.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)

hence bacon toboggan.

hahaha... meat sports. reminds me of when i was a butcher and we used to enjoy chicken boxing - a whole chicken on each fist used as boxing gloves.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Johnas - ha ha!  Can't believe you gave up yanking turkey's windpipes out in favour of working with models.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Not quite Johnas, until I can't feel this ache any more and can actually do proper sessions I'm not fully back! Have a real tester of it later this week though!

ps are you appearing in TOWIE at the moment?

Just had a look at that list, indeed I see you on page 8, go forward a few pages and I am on page 5 at 434.

Encouraging as ever Phil!!

Dachs, it's a pleasing image imagining you sitting on a cheese production line, silly hate on,  attaching stickers, and having the odd sniff to make sure all is in order. 

Good luck tonight. Make sure Tad doesn't Dick you!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps i'm sure people would be delighted to hear that the P Jones man was sliding around in some pig guts that they'd then get served up later on....

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

SS - was talking about Stone 10k results with some of the chaps who ran it and they all said the time on the results was 20 secs faster than on their own watches.  I think you said something similar.  its bad enough it was bad rainy conditions but to get the timing so wrong!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Thanks for that SG.  If he reads this and wasn't motivated before, I'm sure he will be now.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    Dachs wrote (see)

Johnas - ha ha!  Can't believe you gave up yanking turkey's windpipes out in favour of working with models.

believe me, both can be hard work...

working with a glamour model today called 'Malibu Sparkle', I kid you not. Thankfully, she's lovely to work with

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ah don't worry Dachs, the 100,000s of hits this thread gets are all from the 10 or so of us...

Although a well known local runner who hasn't ever posted on here, yet is mentioned here and there, actually referred to me as Stevie G to Bus once.....

• Johnas - if that is the Malibu Sparkle from Swansea I have just looked up on line then I pity you. I would find it hard work to concentrate with her in the room image

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

I thought ‘Malibu sparkle’ was the brief moment of vibrancy and coherence that lies midway between taking your first mouthful of a rum-based coconut drink, and passing out round the back of a kebab shop without any shoes on.

• I am not googling Malibu Sparkle from Swansea while in the office.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    Maxpower North West wrote (see)

Johnas - if that is the Malibu Sparkle from Swansea I have just looked up on line then I pity you. I would find it hard work to concentrate with her in the room image

Obviously! I'd be amazed if there was another... Plus, who doesn't think of Swansea when they hear the word Malibu

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

I am not googling Malibu Sparkle from Swansea while in the office.

As of now, you'll probably just get a load of links to this thread.

• .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭

hehe I may have just type that into a search engineimage

Well another week has passed and you lot have been busy!

Not sure if I've posted since Dean's epic sub 2:03 800m with unlucky DQ and Stevie See just missing 10 mins 3000m, great work.

Nice parkrunning win Johnas and 2nd places for Stevie See and Bus!

Matt - impressive job at your debut 5000m track race followed up by a faster 5k on road! You know you've work harded if you've got bad DOMS, The fells does that to you I guess!

Sounds like most of you had good long runs at the weekend, in contrast I really struggled on my long run on Sunday, not sure what went wrong but I didn't eat before I went as I woke up late and was meeting two other runners which I normally would have a couple of peices of toast. Didnt drink much before I left, maybe 300mls. 9 miles in I was dead on my feet, struggled home covering the 13.25 miles, but it wasnt pleasant. Not sure If It was just dehydration or not.

Crazy mileage still Ric, good stuffimage Nice to see SG nearly back to full speed

As for how the runnings going, late decision to have a run at the last race in the East Midlands Grand Prix last night. Milton Keynes Road 10K. Turned out to be a wise decision...

It was fairly windy as we lined up on the grass playing feild at the start, off we went and I settled into about 10th, the leaders wernt getting away too fast and the pace seemed fairly easy, 1st mile reached in 5:22 but it felt ok. Settled down and during mile 2 just cruising along not letting any runners come past, starting to reel in runners now, 2nd mile down in 5:31. By now 1st to 4th had started to move ahead abit, leaving 5th and 6th place running on their own, about 20 and 40 meters ahead of me and the chasing group of 3. Mile 3 in 5:35 and through 5k in 17:11, I knew thing were going very well and I felt great for a change. 6th place had been caught, and we all knew the top 6 got prizes! For me the race seemed to suddenly turn tactical! We turned a corner into wind for the next two miles! all 6-10th position, sort of taking it in turns to fight the wind, closing 5th down until he became one of the group. It felt good to be running at pace and not all that uncomfortable, miles 4 and 5 covered in 5:39 and 5:40, bit slower that I wanted but I was sandbagging abit, determined to out gun the group at the endimage Turned the corner just after 5miles (27:45) and the wind was no longer, so I bolted, didnt look round just started to give it some resulting in a 6th mile of 5:26 and last .25 of a mile according to garmin in 5:03 pace. Think that means I ran 50m long or so if the garmin is accurate but I didnt care. 5th place in 34:35. Over a 1minute road PB image About bleeding time. £20 voucher too. Top 4 runners were over a minute ahead... next year maybe!

Running for the club at the weekend, 5000m on track, hoping for no wind and a fast time!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

superb Seb.  you have found the secret to unlocking your xc powers onto the road, trick your mind by starting on grass and moving to road soon after and bingo a 1minute PB.    Is your 5000m at stoke in the midlands league?  if so i know a fair few racing it and you should have a decent crowd to go low 16s

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Nice one Seb - well deserved after all that time too!

I used to work in a butchers too Johnas - some terrible tales of what went on, and all being paid just 80p an hour as a 13 yr old!! Shame my career change has incorporated the pleasures that yours now has!

Philip -  I shall have to try and leap-frog you on the AT parkrun V45 list then Philip. Might need a trip out to Bushy park mind image

BAcon tobogganing indeed.....

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

oh, almost forgot - running! 5x0.5M at lunch off 90 sec in 2:44, 2:48, 2:45, 2:45, 2:48. Slightly breezy and on deep grass in places so OK with that...

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

nice work Seb. congrats on the PB. Got myself a 5000m track race this weekend too. Dreading it to be honest!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

good work indeed Seb, and very polite of you indeed to stay just behind the SG's pb image

the way I'm going, you'll soon be hoovering it up into the distance tho, and I may well have to put you on my secret list of "people to avoid in head to heads" which increases weekly!

Bus, those 1/2milers of yours seem to be remarkably consistent from year to year! I bet you did it off jack spit warm up too!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps Johnas, never dread a race when you're injury free. The time to dread a race is when you're a bit niggled up, or when teammates are relying on you!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Just got in, so a quick skim throught the posts.

Dachs, not on my walls. Any fish pics are hidden away. Only other anglers are interested.

Dean, skill? In this country, in fresh water, only skill will get any result. If you don't know exactly what you are doing you're guaranteed zero success.

Food factories, grim.

Seb , great race. Oh to see a 34 something again.

Dehydration, depends on what level apparently.

Got talking to a customer who seemed keen to keep me supplied with drinks. Turns out she had only one kidney and had views on avoiding dehydration.

So a few minutes on the subject of renal failure merely confirmed the value of running with a surplus of water on board at all times.

🙂