Starting again from the beginning!

Comments

• Hang on a minute here, I thought this was supposed to be a beginner thread LMAO

What with lisa doing 7.2 mile,  Just Run doing 10 mile and now Gammineez doing a short 3 mile today I got no chsnce of keeping up

Heyyyy wait for meee lol

Seroisly though well done all of you on todays runs.

• JR/Gammi

Well done on the runs guys and well done JR on hitting your target. Did you record your runs for the monthly challenge ? we are only very slightly behind and todays the last day

• I'm sorry, something must have happened when I registered.  It won't recognise my password or email.  I can't get in to log my miles and I've done 39.5 this month...

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Kevin don't be disheartened or tempted to rush - the thread has been aorund fore a couple of years now so we are all at diffetent levels of starting again - but the great thing is you'll continue to get the advice and encouragement you need as you continue the journey - word of warning re the capri sun - I managed to drop off to sleep on Friday after my 15 miler with my foot up. a much needed couple of hours of R&R BUT I woke up with a New Zealand shaped mark on my leg which over the weekend has continued to blister and leak with an ice burn. So do take care!!!! image

• Grendel3 wrote (see)

Kevin don't be disheartened or tempted to rush - the thread has been aorund fore a couple of years now so we are all at diffetent levels of starting again - but the great thing is you'll continue to get the advice and encouragement you need as you continue the journey - word of warning re the capri sun - I managed to drop off to sleep on Friday after my 15 miler with my foot up. a much needed couple of hours of R&R BUT I woke up with a New Zealand shaped mark on my leg which over the weekend has continued to blister and leak with an ice burn. So do take care!!!! image

Ok thanks mate,

Following the C25K app i completed WK1-R1 o.k no problemsimage

at the end of the run though the app suggested stretching the muscle,

so i stretched out 

calfes x 3 for 10 sec each,

Hams x 3 for 10 sec each,

Quads x 3 for 10 sec each.

Is that enough stretching or have i missed something out??

Also should i ice my shins after each run??

kev.

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

kev, r.i.c.e. (rest,ice,compression,elevation) is great for problem specific areas but no need after every run. dont forget to wrap ice packs in a cloth or towell and do not apply next to your skin! With regards to stetching, you'll do fine with the main four (don't forget both calf muscles) stretches. However, you will, over time discover what works best. I used to stretch religiously and now only do a few dynamic stretches before a run and none after unless my calf or hip flexor feels like they need it. 

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

330, yes, I have been logging my miles in the monthly challenge. Missed this mornings early run so a pm run for me later. One of my children has hidden my usb stick from my garmin meaning its getting stacked up with runs. Not an issue yet but would like to upload them before I delete them so a house search will be my warm down later. Congratulations on the 200 mile month Grendel.

• Just Run wrote (see)

kev, r.i.c.e. (rest,ice,compression,elevation) is great for problem specific areas but no need after every run. dont forget to wrap ice packs in a cloth or towell and do not apply next to your skin! With regards to stetching, you'll do fine with the main four (don't forget both calf muscles) stretches. However, you will, over time discover what works best. I used to stretch religiously and now only do a few dynamic stretches before a run and none after unless my calf or hip flexor feels like they need it. 

Thanks mateimage

• Hey peeps! Sorry I haven't been around just resting a lot at the moment in prep for Race to the Stones.....NEXT WEEK!!!! imageimage

Lisa - regarding sports drinks...don't bother! sugary nonsense! image I use Elete water for anything over 2 hours of running. If you are quite happy with water then wonderful, the Elete water makes your water just slightly salty but I find it really easy to drink. Other options are tablets like "S caps". The new discovery for me of late is coconut water. Packed full of natural electrolytes and more potassium than a banana!! Try Vita coco

The one exception I make when on really long runs when you just need a little sugar hit is to water down coke. It makes it nearly flat and by adding water it makes it easier for your body to absorb image

Kev - as Grendel says we have been kicking around for a bit now but all starting from the beginning on here! If you go over the posts I started out struggling to do a 5k, I now do Ultras! image I still stay here in the "beginners" thread as I'm always learning and well....we have all become good friends! image Stick with us and keep kicking away! Regarding the RICE advice, grab some compression wear as well to help things along even quicker! image

Some solid training going on here, im getting itchy feet! image 

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Hilary Walker, who was World Record holder over 24 hours or something - used to use flat coke for the sugar rush.

• yeah the decent aid stations on ultras mix the cups half and half and it works really well! full fat coke after 30 something miles doesn't always go down so well! 

• Thanks for the advise B2B!

Fed up...rubbish day...need/want a run but today is my 'rest' day image, cant even go for a short run as hubby is on nights so no childcare! Bring on tomorrow!

• Hello all,

had also been thinking of running again today but ended up working late, am thinking of setting alarm to go out tomorrow morning instead but have been spectacularly rubbish at obeying or even setting the alarm recently image

Right.  B2B .... Regarding compression what's it all about? I got a long sleeve compression top for Rock solid as it was cold and also I didn't want baggy stuff that would get caught on obstacles and I loved it (makes me feel like cat woman - in my mind) but the socks?? How do they help?  Are they for preventing or curing injuries or for something else completely? Are you best wearing them after or during a run?

i tried asking a man on Black Death run ( found myself running with him for a bit) who was sporting a rather nice pair.  Suprise, turned out he ran the Mount Blanc ultra, que more suprise that I was running with him.  But he just looked confused that some random woman was asking him about socks....then he left me for dust on the next hill and balance was once again restored to the universe image

• Gammineez - Prevention and speeding up recovery image A lot of people dont agree but in my experience it works wonders! I use calf compression and quad compression.

I use the quad sleeves sometimes during my run, the calf ones on the other.....hand? I have to use them after I am done running or I feel like my legs are going to pop!

4.1 miles for me last night on a really hilly route in 40 minutes....ill take that! image Its the same route I first started walking and running around on my return. It used to take me about 1.15 and I would be done for the evening! Its so nice to just bop around it now and not feel to fazed.

yay! 350 up for the year! image

2013 - 353.59

Milo miles - 109.98

• Cheers B2B, Mr Neez suggested the socks for when my ankle was swollen, but we both agreed that neither of us knew what we were doing, so I left it.  Anyway, ankle normal now soooo.

good work on that hilly run!  It's great to revisit some of the routes you did at the start, I like running past bits and thinking 'I used to have to stop here' And carrying on.

dragged my lazy behind out of bed early this morning, mainly because I posted on here that I would!  And ran 3.6m in 36mins with a big fat hill at the start.

off to watch Small in her school sports day now.

have a good day all

• well done Gammineez! My suggestion is just to give them a go, if you are prone to getting ankle trouble then have something as a backup image

• Usual 5 for me tonight. I NEED A GARMIN !! I get bored so easily with routes and its difficult planning and measuring when I have to do a run from a map, ah well one day

Good to see you all doing so wellimage

• Nice one 3:30!

I went on a 5k run/walk with my mum last night! Did a lot more walking than running but I was really proud of her for giving it a go! I am now her personal running coach image

Not sure I can really add that to my training?!

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Well done Kevin -

• Thanks mate.

For some reason my right shin just to the right of the bone has been aching since the first run and still is??

Hope this is not what I think it is and just my legs getting used to things so eventually it will subside. 

• Nice one Kev!  I did a run walk to 5k programme too, I think it's a great approach.  

My physio said, when you run, any niggles or aches shouldn't go over 3/10.  Hopefully it's just you getting used to things again.

• Gammineez wrote (see)

Nice one Kev!  I did a run walk to 5k programme too, I think it's a great approach.  

My physio said, when you run, any niggles or aches shouldn't go over 3/10.  Hopefully it's just you getting used to things again.

I really hope so mate, If no better tomorrow i might (on the wifes suggestion) go back to sweatshop and get my gait re-checked again, they say they will provide a new pair of shoes for free if i need to change them, will keep you updated.

• Kev

I started my comeback seriously in April during the first few weeks I experienced exactly the same thing but then it went away

I have increased my mileage from around 5 in the weeks to 12 on A Saturday and its has come back although quite mildly after 12 on Saturday. Was actually feeling it when I walked

Was out for 5 Tueday and only very slight feeling was there so am hoping it was just the increase in miles. Be very interested to see how you get on at Sweatshop. I last had a gait analysis about 8 years ago and been using same type of shoes (support) ever since

• Hi 3:30 or bust

I was advised to have gait done for every new pair as it could change, 

it costs nothing anyway at the time of buying. 

O.k rather than double post i have edited this one!

Woke up this morning and the ache in my right shin has gone.

I still called and spoke to the manager at the sweatshop (a runner himself) and told him about my shin problem occuring after my first run.

After patiently listening to all the information i could give him, he said as i have now been fitted to a stability shoe from a neutral one, its my body's way of telling me to stop as my foot has been placed in a different position and doing something unnatural to it, The aching is normal and its way of telling me to back-off, providing it doesn't turn to pain should normally subside within a few days.

He advised as i have a 30 day notice in which to change to a different pair of shoes i continue for another week as he is convinced it will go away.

Like i said woke up this morning feeling fine but will monitor it over the next week or so hopefully its now okimage

• stability shoe...image correcting...image unnatural...image those of you who have known me for a while will understand my next face....image

Kev - I have so much I would love to unleash on Mr Sweatshop but I have also learnt along the way that if you can run without pain then use what you need to to get the job done!

I just don't get why humans think that the foot needs "correcting"!  

• Back2basics wrote (see)

stability shoe...image correcting...image unnatural...image those of you who have known me for a while will understand my next face....image

Kev - I have so much I would love to unleash on Mr Sweatshop but I have also learnt along the way that if you can run without pain then use what you need to to get the job done!

I just don't get why humans think that the foot needs "correcting"!  

Back2Basics,
    I was told i needed the correct running footwear by the shops & from what i read from the Internet, weather it be corrective or cushioning due to the amount of impact caused through running, as general walking dos not cause as much stress to the body.

I wondered the same thing, most people probably only spend an hour or so in a pair of running shoes and then change to everyday unsupported/corrective or cushioned shoes or work wear. for 8 hrs or more.

I'll bet most people on this forum also wear corrective footware do exeactly the same thing.

Maybe an expert may come along and advise?

• From my own studying and experimentation I personally believe that the footwear is not the issue. The issue is with form. Major shoe companies want to sell shoes so use the shoe as the focus to changed your form through orthotics and shaping the shoe rather than promoting training.

Take the shoes off and then run. Different? Everybody rolls the foot in a slightly different way, its all natural.

Have a look at chi running and pose running. By no longer landing on the heels the impact is reduced over the whole body.

Most people who try barefoot or minimal running don't do it for long enough because to start with it is hard and it takes a lot of training. Remember you are trying to teach yourself how to run again!

My own personal experience has taken me a year to go from landing on my heels, shin splints, hip pain, knee pain and struggling with up to 10 miles to completely changing to mid foot strike. I run in sandals, everywhere! I have just finished my first 50 mile ultra marathon in SANDALS and next week im trying a 100k again in sandals. Its just my own personal account and I agree everyone is different..horses for courses and all that. But I can say that form is where everyone should start.

Many people spend loads of money on fancy shoes and STILL get hurt because its the form that is wrong.

ok......im done.....imageimage

• I have to say, I'm with B2B on this one.  I think it's form over footwear.  

But I'm not an expert.

physio fella filmed me running on a treadmill.  he pointed out my arms moving accross my body, making my whole torso move and my feet were flicking inwards.  Also, I wasn't quite standing straight.  Head up, chest out, arms moving in parallel (in same plane as ski poles would have), bum in, core engaged.  Immediately there was less to little movement in my torso and my feet stopped flicking inwards.  I try to focus on this form and I've stopped trying to take giant strides. I now try to take lighter, smaller, quicker strides.

it seems to work for me. Big fingers crossed. Well, better than what I was doing before anyway.

also, after reading Born to Run and running with the Kenyans, I've been following this really interesting bloke on twitter - James Dunne @kineticrev worth checking out, he presents a very balanced view in the form vs footwear debate.

you got to do what works for you Kev image