Sub 3h15

Comments

• If and when we do hear something from GFA, how long have we got to enter, if successful?

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

I submitted my application to VLM a few hours after it had opened so I guess I would be towards the front of the queue. I got a email from the GFA folks 2 days after I applied to say 'I had been verified' and they gave me an account name and PIN for me to go and ragister and pay.  Once I had done that they then sent me the following:

-------

Dear Martin Hennelly,

Thank you for completing your 2014 Virgin Money London Marathon Championship entry.

Your reference number for the 2014 event is xxxxxxx.

You will be sent a final instructions magazine and a registration form by us in March 2014.

If you have further questions please call the Virgin Money London Marathon Helpdesk on 0207 902 0200.

Now that you have been accepted, make sure you have all the clothing and accessories you will need by visiting our online shop, www.virginlondonmarathon.com/shop .

Kind Regards,

2014 Virgin Money London Marathon Team

------

So champs start for meimage - maybe I'll line up at the back of that pen.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Dammit, it's only July and I already feel left out of VLM (I've got an orchestra tour to Berlin next April and the main rehearsal clashes with VLM; on the basis that I haven't done an orchestra tour for 15 years I'm skipping VLM)...

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Bike it - what's your marathon pb/qualifying VLM time? Sounds like they've heard of your comrades glory. image 

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Minni - my PB and VLM qualifying time is 3:10:33.  I'm just assuming they've got one email template for everyone whether championship or GFA and they will get it sorted over the next months. Unless that is I entered 2:10:33 by mistake

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Don't panic, I'm sure VLM know what they're doing.

17 miles for me last night, I attempted a few near the end at current MP based on heart rate. I could only manage 4 at about 7.15 pace before my legs screamed no more, they are not used to the impact of long runs at the moment. Only 120 miles of running in June is telling.

I'll get the bike sportive out of the way in a couple of weeks time and concentrate on some proper running.

I should have taken a drink as well, my head was pounding at the end.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Just reading back after a hectic weekend of eating and drinking with very little running. Just dawned on me yesterday that my autumn marathon is only 14 weeks away, so mara training officially starts today! Re the Summer vs Winter debate. I personally prefer the cooler weather for running and have been known to run in a vest and shorts almost all year round but the temp here is not as extreme as the mainland. I don't even own a pair of tracksuit pants or those tight things. When the sun is shining all I want to do is chill on the beach and drink lots of vino.

PMJ - I have to echo the comments of all the forumites on here re your daughter. She will go far!

Gul - Well done on your PR, sub 19 beckons for you soon. Have you got any plans to race a 10k in the near future?

Lorenzo - Good PR too!!

Ant  - Yes I recall you mentioned you were coming to the UK with your Spanish students. Nice to fit in some races too and with some of the guys off here too! Hope your foot behaves itself. Nice Nike's and a good price too. I bought a new pair of Saucony rides yesterday and they only set me back £39!!!

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

I phoned VLM and they are short staffed so working through the applications slower than expected.  They confirmed mine but will have to wait for the email to sort the entry out. 

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Bike it - what was your best Comrades time off that marathon time? 

• Minni - Stop pestering them - they're obviously trying to sort mine out and need to concéntrateimage.

• 8 miles this morning in what I thought was drizzle but turned out to be horrendously high humidity. It was like running through treacle*.

Felt extremely tired from the start so amended the planned session to 5 x 1km @ a controlled 3:55, just to show myself it is possible...

I love my new shoes.

*All right, maybe I'm exaggerating here.

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Minni - I ran Comrades 2012 (Down) in 8:48 off a 3:20 PB.  This year I ran the up in 9:23 off a 3:10 PB.  I'm expecting sub 9 hour finish for a Bill Rowan medal from you come 2015image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

But Bike It, you hadn't been well? Do think that slowed you up a bit this year? I'll put my cards on the table now and say I'll definitely be aiming for sub 9. After all I do hand two years to train!image

Scotland is fecking miserable. Wet, cold and windy. Trying to stay positive for the 60 odd kids with me. Just been for an 8 mile run along the coast (without the children!) complete with 3 layers, hat and gloves.  It's summer ffs! 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I got my VLM GFA confirmation and just entered. Sorry Ant you are next image

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭
    Ant van Oviedo wrote (see)

Very happy with the Pegasus - I know they're not the world's most exciting shoe, but I've always got on well with them, and them me. Great cushioning, surprisingly responsive and light, too. They are also very durable. And for that price... 

Anyway, that's the verdict after a 5k test run - let's see how they (and I) perform tomorrow, as I do a few kms @ HMP minus 15 secs/km.

Drizzle has set in. Forever.

Has anyone heard back from VLM?

Not heard back from VLM yet, but that suits as I am in the doldrums as my hamstring has gone again today. Think I may need to either rest completely for a week, or accept that any running must be done at an ultra easy pace which I don't see the point of. image

On the subject of trainers, I've come to realise that my interest in them goes no further than wine. I know I prefer red to white, but other than that I know little else about them. 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear that AR. VLM is miles off. Chin up, I'm sure you'll be flying again soon.

• AR -Not great news. Give it a rest and some (red) wine and I'm sure you'll be back in no time. Keep those spirits up.

My attitude to trainers is more like yours than you imagine. In fact, I would say I don't know much about art, but I know what I like.

OO - Chhhssss - bloody queue-jumpers.

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    AR-Sorry to hear your hampstring has gone (where?). That's not one I've had on my extensive list of injuries, perhaps Slokey can help.

Rest easy.

White wine for me, after beer...and cider.
  • SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

My hamstrings are one of my few untarnished parts. Along with some other important bits!image 

Red for me ce soir. A cheeky fitou.

Hi MsE, how are things going?

On the seasonal debate, I feel more serious when training over the winter. There isn't much scenery to gawk at when its dark and raining at 6 in the morning image  Consequently, I feel a bit more pleased with myself for completing a session in the cold and damp. However, running in short shorts and vest through the woods and over the fells in glorious sunshine (yes, this was my run on Sunday) just cannot be beaten - glorious!

Taper is in full swing. Oscillating wildly from feeling ill / tired and then feeling great. I have developed a hankering for flapjacks and everyone's favourite - the office is full of ill people with hacking coughs.... yay!

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Oh, and the weather forecast is for 26degC for Sunday with bright sunshine. I know how to pick 'em!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Remind me what you are tapering towards Slokey?

Just booked my accomodation for VLM can you believe. Left it late last year and it cost me a packet....

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    I think Slokey is doing his first park run.
  • Hasta luego Oviedo, hello Southport! Tomorrow I'm off to Blighty to spend the month of July there. I've packed summer clothes so the weather had better play the game...

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    You're in luck Ant, it's going to be a glorious summer. Don't forget your factor 30.
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Gul - did you oversleep?

Oh dear AR - not good

Minni wrote (see)

But Bike It, you hadn't been well? Do think that slowed you up a bit this year? I'll put my cards on the table now and say I'll definitely be aiming for sub 9. After all I do hand two years to train!image

It is very kind of you to remember that I was ill.  Yes that was a factor on the day as the illness was still there a little and also I had not been able to eat properly in the 2 days prior which left me low on energy.  The critical factor was the brutal heat of up to 33C and 20mph headwind.  It was a bit tricky to run a hilly marathon in it especially after already having immediately before run the biggest uphill marathon ever.  The weather was freak and it lead to the biggest attrition rate of modern times.

I tried a 10m (metre) run yesterday and still too painful so I'll wait to hear the consultant on July 9.  I've been on Total Abs and spinning instead.  I am now getting very fatimage

• Great vid Bike It - whetted my appetite for it, perhaps in 2015. Hope things sort themselves out soon.

Safe journey Ant - good luck with your childminding duties.

Fingers crossed AR - plenty of rest seems to be the order of the day.

Shortish run this morning with a 2 mile burst in the middle. Surprised myself a bit by averaging just under 6:40 for the fast part.

On my way to Truro via Exeter and Barnstaple so hoping to get in a nice Cornish run in the morning.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

That's not the best route to Truro, Lorenzoimage

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

All well thank you, SJ, but MrE may be redeployed back home which is exciting as am still homesick but would end our excursion rather prematurely. Have much to do still having been benched this past year and only just out there hiking again with a bit of run-walking the dog. Still would mean getting back into forum related business and running around the UK again.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Got my London entry sorted. My acceptance says Championship entry.  Is that what everyone else got too? 

bike it - hope the pain goes away soon. Yes that headwind sounded like a nightmare. 

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

OO, I'm doing Outlaw on Sunday. Iron distance tri image