Sub 3h15

Comments

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Poacher - I have a taker for your coastal number. 

• Minni, mine is definitely GFA:

Dear Phliip Jones,I can confirm your application for a 2014 Virgin Money London Marathon Good for Age entry has been verified.In order confirm and complete your Good for Age entry, please make a note of your username and password and follow the link to the 2014 Virgin Money London Marathon Good for Age entry system where you can complete the online entry form and pay for your entry.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

PMJ - its the next bit that'll return a Championship acceptance, mine did too, although my GFA was rejected at first.

SJ - all the best, the last long Tri I did in Sept ended up with load of folks catching hypothermia in the wind and rain, so I'd rather have hot than cold esp for the swim and bike. You wont be running hard either, so should be able to keep coolish, maybe wear a cap to soak in water.

AR - easy does it. It was only a week or two ago that you posted big miles, doubles and that you were still doing speed work. We're only human, and not robots. Dont kick your body, it can kick back.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

MsE, you'd best make the most of your time out there if its going to be cut short. Do you think you'll be back running with enough time to get another US event under your belt?

Thanks TR, and yes, hot is better than cold for tri and I don't think it will be a factor until the run, by which time I'll be past caring!

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

TR - yes I will back off now. Sticking to indoor rowing for a bit as it is quad biased and very very light on the hamstrings. Shame its indoorsimage

I may go see some form of quackery - not sure what to try. I've had months of issues with my right leg from achilles / calf to hamstring to hip flexor. In fact some problems were their before running. 

I've been down the self treatment / rest route, had quite a bit of fizz and massage to address the problems as they arose. Also seen NHS biomechanic consultant a few years back for achilles.

However, as soon as one issue is resolved, something else crops up with the right leg.

So maybe try a different physio,  or something different like a bone cracking chiropractor / osteopath. I'm very cynical, so if anyone has any positive experiences please let me know

• Evening all. MsE, I really hope you do come back to blighty. I miss you!

Team sheet arrived today for the UKWAL on Sunday. I'm down for the 3000m, which I knew, but also the 4 x 400m. WTF? I have never run a relay in my life. I can just about hold my own in the 3000m, but in the 400m I'm going to be soooo outclassed. I watched that race last time. Poop.

• Just go along with it and live up to your name Speedy. Maybe opt for the first leg, that way you only have one baton change: and it's to the front.

Good luck to anyone racing this weekend, don't forget that you are going to fry.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Weather will be fine in Blighty Ant- enjoy.

All down the right leg- same as me AR. The last guy I saw told me my left leg was longerimage 

Speedy, I could quite fancy a 4 *400, should be a good laugh.

VLM- mine says championship too. And I'm no champion image 

Another below average 10K tonight of 38:24. Just under 2 mins down on last year but still good enough for a Vet prize in a strong field.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Also-Ran - as a fellow Achilles tendon sufferee, I can only recommend you get thee to someone who can do some Graston and Active Release Therapy on you.  It has proven exceptionally effective not just for me, but for many people round these parts suffering from Achilles/tight calf related problems.  But you will also need to identify the root cause and deal with that.  Often something has broken down in the kinetic chain and needs addressing (Winning Sal can probably explain better than I).

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    CC2 - Speedy Goth wrote (see)

Evening all. MsE, I really hope you do come back to blighty. I miss you!

I miss everyone in the UK too. Pathetic I know but I have not stopped missing folk from back home and have been here 18 months already.  Plotting my race calendar already for when I do return.  Being here has given me a taste for adventure now so shall be tempted to race around the UK on trails, up mountains and around the roads! Achilles permitting of course....

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    SlokeyJoe wrote (see)

MsE, you'd best make the most of your time out there if its going to be cut short. Do you think you'll be back running with enough time to get another US event under your belt?

I hope so.  There are many races I want to try still.  Time shall tell.  I am not quite out of the woods yet and only about to embark on the outside bit of the return to running in a month or so.  But after a year in the wilderness, it seems like I am nearly back there.  

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Brief drop in, will read properly anon...

Nice one Minni, pretty sure the number etc is at Chateau Poacher in Newton so can get Mrs P to post it. Will mail you now

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

AR - take care of that hamstring.
    Bike It - I had a bit of a lie-in yesterday till 5:55 and ran out of time for posting. Hope the consultant has some positive news for you next week.
    Lorenzo - hope you're having fun in Cornwall.
    MsE - nice to hear from you again - hope the long-term injury can finally get sorted.
    Speedy - 4x400m! I'd be worried about dropping the baton. I'm sure you'll find some sprinting speed on the day though.
    OO - well done on the Vet prize - I seem to remember you were really flying last year. Hope the form returns soon.
    I did a 4 mile recovery run yesterday and 10 "blind" steady miles this morning, which turned out at an average pace of 7:11 m/m.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Blimey, it's like the Marie Celeste on here: nothing since Gul o'clock.  8M including strides for me last night. Legs were still a tiny bit heavy, but pretty much recovered from the hill workout over the weekend.  Midland League 3000 for me on Sunday.  Sub 11 would be lovely...

MsE: glad to see via RW and FB that you are gradually getting back into hiking, etc.  Hope that running is possible soon!

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Hope Speedy doesn't use Team GB baton changing as the standard.

Gul what are these blind miles you speak of. Sounds dangerousimage

10k steady row am. followed by a 8 x 500m  interval row at lunch.  All too hot in this weather.

Went for a free assessment at the local Chiropractors. A few tests in and I was surprised how weak my pelvis is on the right. If I go with them they want to do fairly intensive dry needling on my abductors and hamstring before commencing any back cracking (manipulations?).  Then of course the magic chiropractic finger was used that temporarily restored all strength to the right side, in a kind of "this is how you could feel with us" way before the free consultation ended.

So that is another option to consider as an alternative to Rest. Tomorrow will see what the local "Osteomyologist" based at my gym offers image.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

AR - since VLM you're ran another couple of mara's IIRC, done other long runs, 10k races, big miles, introduced big mile doubles, speedwork...............etc. None of us are robots. You need to find a level that allows you to train consistently week after week without hurting yourself. Its not about beasting yourself and training loads, its about being able to train next week too and the week after and the week after. You cant have been doing too much wrong pre VLM, but you've gone a bit nutbar since.

• The man speaks wise words.

It is possible to raise the training load, but you have to be careful. RW advises rules of thumb for beginners, because that's the prime audience. Get into the 3:15, sub 2:59 and beyond and breakdowns are a part of the picture. The top guys have a team around them, including regular physio, nutritional advice, head shrinks, and as far as I know shoe lace cleaners. OK, I made that bit up. But I'll tell you for free that I used all available physio, nutritional tricks, and head advice that I could get in order to over-achieve. Those small percentages add up.

AR, Chiropractors do a cracking knuckles sort of job, but charge shed loads for the priviledge. Sports injury physios are somewhat more gentle and actually operate on the muscles, tendons and ligaments. Personally, I have faith in my local fizz. She's sorted me out 8 times out of 10. My wife has been NHS'd to a chiropractor, and she has faith there. She mangled her back. I just over did the running. Take your pick, but don't under estimate the value of a preventative massage by a pro. Every 8 weeks I used to go, including the most important one, the day after getting back from holiday.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

I cancelled my physio appointment last weekend because it leaves me with such a sore back.  It had only stopped hurting from 2 weeks ago and I just couldn't bear the thought of it being sore again this week.  I'll have to decide if I'm going to continue or not. 

MsE - great news about the running and the potential move home. 

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Jools - good luck with the 3000m at the weekend.
    AR - hope you can find the right person to sort out your current injury. Got to agree with TR about over-training - probably something we've all done and I know I need to be on my guard against even when I think I've learnt my lesson.
    7 slow miles for me today.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

another session with the sports physio this pm, not sure the last one did me much good, so this is probably last chance...  

• Joolska wrote (see)

Blimey, it's like the Marie Celeste on here:

Doing 14 at lunchtime in the sunshine takes it out of you. Took me a few hours to cool down and re-hydrate. Need an easy one today before a 2.75 mile relay leg on Saturday (midday start!) which should be fun as 2.75 in the sun won't be long enough to worry about heat.

Starting to change the schedule a bit to pack and thin the runs out. Last week and this week will both be about 40 miles but I have done close to 50 in the last 5 days (so Sunday and Thursday 14s make the bulk of that) so the body gets used to a higher load in short periods without building the overall load too much. Very much like Jools did with the Sat/Sun doubles when preparing for her long run home. I have heard of some people running late one day and then early the next day without replenishing carbs but I am not an evening runner and even if I was I need carbs after a run.

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭
    TR wrote (see)

AR - since VLM you're ran another couple of mara's IIRC, done other long runs, 10k races, big miles, introduced big mile doubles, speedwork...............etc. None of us are robots. You need to find a level that allows you to train consistently week after week without hurting yourself. Its not about beasting yourself and training loads, its about being able to train next week too and the week after and the week after. You cant have been doing too much wrong pre VLM, but you've gone a bit nutbar since.

If I remember the last advice, it was to "get some miles in" image

Anyway, I am not at any crisis point, nor overtrained. I'm just trying to find the cause of a weakness I have had on my right side for a long time, and to address that rather than going off to the physio everytime my right achilles, calf, ITB, pes anserine, hamstring, right hip flexor, or whatever else goes next. I'm after big picture solutions  rather than quick fix.

Comfortable with my training load, and the big mileage couple of weeks was comfortable if unproductive, and more importantly not enjoyable. All part of the learning I want from this summer - so it served a purpose to shape the future. As for the marathons, yes one was raced, and one I shuffled around. I don't see the distance as unreasonable given that I tend to do a 20m+ at least once a fortnight.

I have a great physio who helped get me through VLM with only one persistent issue that was managed.

My only disappointment has been with the 10k training not delivering a decent 10k race. Unfortunately that is the thing that will break me, so I will have to step away from that for now and focus on distance.

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭
    Blisters wrote (see)

The man speaks wise words.

It is possible to raise the training load, but you have to be careful. RW advises rules of thumb for beginners, because that's the prime audience. Get into the 3:15, sub 2:59 and beyond and breakdowns are a part of the picture. The top guys have a team around them, including regular physio, nutritional advice, head shrinks, and as far as I know shoe lace cleaners. OK, I made that bit up. But I'll tell you for free that I used all available physio, nutritional tricks, and head advice that I could get in order to over-achieve. Those small percentages add up.

Well, my stable of helpers is missing the Shoe Lace Cleaner  ... something to follow up there

• TRTR ✭✭✭

get some miles in was the advice towards more marathon PBs, I assumed it'd be done sensibly and built back up to. I always have one eye on being able to train tomorrow I suppose. What you were doing before VLM worked well.

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

I've no issue with the mileage or training - it has been a little lighter then the run up to VLM, The same issues that dogged me pre VLM still exist today. When not running I had a fair amount of pain to contend with pre VLM. As I say there is no crisis of confidence in my training - just looking to correct something that is not quite right, i.e. I am looking at tomorrow, and now is a great time to do it. The 10k training meerly highlights the problem 

This problem existed when I ran 30m per week, 50m per week, 80m per week, and even when I did not run at all pre 2012. Yes, I am looking at tomorrow. As for being sensible - I will think about that one.

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

AR - I think you live near Maidenhead if I remember right.  For historical reasons I go to the Drummond Clinic in Maidenhead and see Arron Nicholson.  He has sorted me out with numerous issues like yours. He does it in both static and dynamic on the treadmill.  I recommend him.

Half an hour of spinning yesterday which I hit hard and was hurting from 5minutes into it.  Cycling out of the saddle at high cadence is a absolute killer for me. On a real bike I pretty much stay in the saddle except for sprint acceleration.  

On a real bike this lunchtime for a 1h tempo ride

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Bike-IT - I've been to Arran for the last 18months and yes, have found him to be a good guy to work with. Has helped with plenty of things. I've never got to understand why things always break on the right hand side, so may seek a opinion from another specialty. Chiropractor I talked to yesterday was of the opinion that physio through Aran would continue as a  requirement.

I've done one spinning class, and high cadence out of the seat was tough going

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

...damn there goes my referal fee to the Drummond clinic...  I just really try to go there for maintenance visits every six months and to be made aware of my imbalances, weakness and lack of mobility.

1 hour tempo ride for me this lunchtime and it was disappointing with 19miles done.  The good thing is that my heart and lungs very working very comfortably but my legs were screaming.  Then I remembered I probably haven't done any serious cycling for at least 18 months and then wasn't surprised.image

• All quiet on here today!

19mph ain't too bad Bike It, especially if you've not done much for a year and a half.

Biked into work and back, so a very pleasant 40+ miles in total in the sunshine.

Volunteering (number checker!) at parkrun tomorrow while younger Lorenzito tries to go sub-20 again, then 10K on Sunday. Looks like it'll be a hot one.

• MsE - forgot to respond to the great news that you're returning to these shores. ANy firm time frame?