Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Nice run there Seb. I did a lot of those races when I was Midlands based, Banbury, Northampton, Silverstone, Milton Keynes, Corby. All good fields and top 5 is a good place to be at.

No surpises but I got accepted for 2014 London marathon so the deed is done.

• Nice on Seb. Great report, great PB.

Tired today.. Feeling the effects of a session with the Wilmslow running club yesterday.. Ended up doing 12 grass reps alternate short and long. Short ones approx 400m and long about 700 off 60s. Total about 11 miles with warm up meander and jog around the trails after.

Did 4 sprightly miles this morning and just done a horrible 6 that felt hard even though 45 mins!

Sale sizzler tomorrow.. Who's coming? 

• Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

Nice one Seb, fantastic run. Really pleased for you it's come together on the road! But that probably means you'll be even better over the mud come the winter!!

Dean, Stone 10K wasn't a UKA race so not on the power of 10. How odd! They really played that down! Probably the UKA demand an actual finish line!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

Bus, those 1/2milers of yours seem to be remarkably consistent from year to year! I bet you did it off jack spit warm up too!

Yeah, but they should be getting quicker is the problem! 

My days of no warm-up are gone SG - I'm Mr sensible these days image 1.5M at 7:30 pace to start, and about the same to warm down....

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Nice running Seb, congrats on the PB. 

Tim, I was going to run tomorrow but Sundays fell run has not left me in he best of nick. I've definitely pencilled the next one in on the 18th though. Found out that Lancaster 5k that I ran isn't on PO10 this year. Annoying. 

• Matt..shame..Stevie S? Dean?

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Well done Seb, a performance like that has definitely been coming, and if you could truly transfer your XC performance to the roads you could take more off that still.  Biding your time until the last mile certainly indicates you've got a faster time in you, it's not something I've ever managed.

Yateley 10K again tonight.  Race 2 of the 3 race series, so defending my win from last month.  I didn't have particularly high expectations for this one, because it's been a case of lots of slow miles recently, and I didn't really feel massively up for it.  I knew that what I had to do tonight was keep an eye on anyone who would be challenging for the series rather than worry about fast times.

Gun went and 2 flew out of the blocks.  One of them wasn't there last time so isn't in the series hunt, but the other was 3rd last time (2nd senior).  I decided to let him go, because last time out he fell off the pace at about 6K, so, whilst I kept him in view I didn't try to keep up.  No-one was close behind me, so I was alone in 3rd.

Up to 6K was pretty comfortable and felt strong.  Didn't bother checking the watch, because I felt certain I was some way off a fast pace and I didn't want to see a dispiritingly slow time.  Started to suffer towards 7K, but by then I could tell that 2nd place was coming back towards me (first was well away by then), so that kept me going.  But I wasn't able to push the pace sufficiently to reel him back in in time, and, although I got the gap down to 10 seconds within the last km, it was just too much.

Having thought I was on for a well sub-par time, I was pretty astonished to round the corner at the end and realise I wasn't far off PB pace.  Crossed the line 3rd in 33:36, so 9 seconds behind my PB but 12 seconds quicker than my win on the same course last month.  Pretty pleased with the time, as my expectations were low.  It's a Po10 PB anyway, as Shinfield wasn't UKA. Was a strong race tonight, first time three have gone sub 34 in that series for a few years.

Mile splits from the Garmin (given its competitive debut today): 5:23 / 5:27 / 5:13 / 5:18 / 5:29 / 5:30 / and 5:13 pace for the last 0.2

The series win is poised pretty nicely too - both me and the other chap have a category 1st and 2nd each, so it's a straight race-off in the August race. 

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Nicely done Dachs, and still moving forward by the sound of it!

Us runners are a perverse bunch. I've just been looking at the beautiful wetaher forecast for the weekend-unbroken sunshine and upt to 26C on Sunday, and can only think how hard that is going to make Risborough 10k!

Ric-good weekend for you to race with your love of heat!

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Nice run Dachs, another solid 33.xx there. Are you not tempted to keep plugging away at your 10k time or are you hoping your marathon training will leave you in good shape to knock some time off it? 

Bus, I'm off to the dales for 5 days on Monday. I've already pencilled a trip up a couple of the peaks. I've also been offered the chance to have a go at training in an altitude chamber next sat. Should be an experience. 

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Tim Natrajan wrote (see)

Matt..shame..Stevie S? Dean?

not for me, tim.  i have (injury prevailing) a 1500m on sunday.  I doubt i will do a sizzler this yr as they seem to clash with other races.  But will be at trafford on the 16th.

congrats Dachs.  sets up a great race next time.  agree with matt, why bother with mara's when you can focus on 10ks etc and get that time right down.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Not sure how much I could drive that 10k time down without mixing up the training a bit.  I think a couple of cycles of marathon training will enable me to push on with targetting 10Ks again afterwards, with a substantial aerobic base.  Ultimately, I probably will only do a few marathons, and will end up focusing on the 10Ks to half marathons, as that is where my interest really lies.

At the moment I'm kind of working with these cycles

• Marathon training building up to Abingdon Oct 2013
    • Marathon training building up to VLM April 2014
    • Summer speed and trackwork/racing, building up to a target 10K Autumn 2014 (toying with the idea of targeting Leeds Abbey Dash and making a weekend of it)

Of course, 2014 is a long way ahead, and much can change.

• .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭

Thanks guys, I wasnt really wanting to do many road races this year but the last three races have actually been quite entertaining. So I finally entered my first half marathon! Not till October though.

VLM again PMJ, did you get that through GFA?, too many abbreviations, thought so.

SG - I though I had you with my time but obviously not image hehe .Will have to try harder next time. We'll have to have a thread smackdown at Cabbage Patch again this year?

Smart 10K Dachs! fast few miles dropped in there.Must be nice to be at the top of a road racing series. I like the way its only over 3 races so it doesnt take over your whole season, the midlands one has too many races too close together (8 races in 9 weeks, best 5 to score)and the other series I've done two of this year has (5 races with 4 to score)

I agree you need to change the focus of training every so often, and this is easier to do if you change your target event. You might be better at Marathons so you've got to try it wholeheartedly at some point.

Good luck for the weekend then Johnas and at Sale Tim. Also Dean if the niggle is ok.

Dean my 5000m is at Cheltenham in the mids league, stupid juniors got the club promoted to Division 1 so now I'm well out of my depth. My teammate might tow me round otherwise might be one or two to run with.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Bus, yes, the broiling heat should be right up my street. I suppose I take a perverse pleasure in watching the un-hydrated blow up in it.

My race starts at 11:00am so a roaster. 

Following on from the 12 milers of the last couple of days, a session of 20 x 400m off 34/36 second recovery.

Carefully measured 0.26m on the Garmin to allow for errors. Average 86 seconds, felt tired only at number 19 & 20 so gauged well.

Ok for a session starting at 6:00am.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Don't worry  - I'll be plenty hydrated before Risborough, though not to the point of over hydrating, so about 750ml of weak home made isotonic drink and two mugs of coffee, but also making sure I'm properly hydrated on Saturday. It's the long runs I'm experimenting with, not the short races

That's a very good session by the way! 

• Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

5 x 800 (2mins recovery) 2:38, 2:40, 2:39, 2:41, 2:39. Looks good but was a bloody struggle in the heat and (again) a windy home straight. So glad its a rest day tomorrow.

Dachs, nice going mate. Looks like you could have that 3 race series sown up!

All those toying with marathon ideas... don't do it!!! image Mugs game!

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Took my mates to the track tonight (total warrior training) and did 6 x 800 off 90 seconds. It was only their second time there after I took them last week. I think I was generous with their pacing and recoveries last week as they said they felt quite comfortable. One of the lads has just got a park run PB of 19.52 last week so he had an idea of his target pace. I went through 200 in a bit too lively 34 and he was right on my shoulder!!!! image he paid for it with every rep and both of them were in bits by the end. Welcome to track Thursday! image 

2.25- 2.25- 2.28- 2.25- 2.27  Chuffed with the splits as i thought my legs wouldn't last as they've been really heavy this week. 

• Back from Sale.

Got there with a plan: aim for 3:23 per km and hope for the best.  Wasn't sure about my Achilles, but it felt ok on my jog warm up.. Did about 1.5 miles with 5x strides approx 60m at fast pace.

Full rest of 10 mins before the race and started at the front.  Was a great atmosphere and. Guy I've pipped in the last 2 5k races was there (Andy, from Wilmslow RC, so trained with him a couple of times).

Set off and kept on Andy's shoulder..didnt see a first k marker but felt a little fast, 2nd k passed in 6:40 I think.. Started feeling in good form at 3k and decided to push on (10:10 split I think). Tried to hold it together for a strong finish.. Last 200 was on the track so drug deep. 

Crossed the line in 16:45. (Haven't seen the official time so not sure).  Really happy just to be sub 17.. Think I may look at 16:30 next..

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

nice one Tim, your reps on the track always suggested you could comfortably go sub 17. hopefully there's plenty more to come off. 

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Good sessions matt &stevie

Big PB tim.  Congrats,  how did you find the course?  

• Cheers Matt and Dean. The course was ok! I was worried it would be slow with the tight corners but they didnt seem to present a problem.. People tend to be faster at Bowdon, but I found this much better, the finish is good...seems like a short last k!

• Just seen the results... They gave me a 16:48 in 35th place. Where did they add those 3 seconds from, I don't know! 

• Seb, yes VLM (I won't cal it Virgin Money London Marathon) via good for age.

Nice 5k there Tim, always odd how the timer is much faster to press go at the gun and slower at the line.

Dachs, any idea of tactics for the final showdown? Are you sure the other guy is racing all three? I user to run the EMGP same as Seb and agree that a short series is much better. With the EMGP you plan on doing 5 out of 8 or whatever it was and then get screwed as the one you decide not to do has so few runners that your rivals score high. At least with 3 out of 3 you know in advance if you can run all of them and it is fair as everyone runs all the easy ones and all the hard ones. Our club champs has moved to more events this year and the same is showing as guys I am beating head to head are ahead of me on the ladder as they are picking up points in empty races.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

With the Summer League series I'm taking part in, the official results for individuals is the best 3 results from 5 races. Needless to say there are runners who do the bare minimum and walk away with the prizes.

However, my own club's (internal) approach to this competition is for it to be 4 from 5 with bonus points for those who do every race.

This creates an interesting situation where a runner (especially one particular V50, not me) wins the overall Summer League but doesn't even register as having any result at all with his own club.

Good!

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Very nice Timmy, and presumably your other times need monster re-calculations, unless you're just a 5k dog?

3secs lost or not, you're well under the 17 marker.

I do get jealous of you northern chaps with your fast 5k races in quality fields. Down here it seems to be the Last Friday of the month 5k, which isn't especially handy, being midday in central London, with the quality being up and down....or take your chances with a parkrun, that doesn't especially count for that much anyway, with generally even sillier standard.

Matt, those are just plain ridiculous 800s. All the more impressive bearing in mind I get the impression you and your mates just went along after a few bevvies and a kick about down the rec, and did them with cigar in hand image

busy work day today, so snuck a 6 with strides in at 7am. Bit glitchy, but Phil, i've a proposal for you to your PM.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

tim, i found the course flat but not really a PB course compared to christleton. too many 90 degree turns, speed  bumps, the off road bit etc.  i was coming back from injury (another achillies) this time last yr but the fastest i did these was 16.20 which was 20+ seconds down on my PB at the time,  so a noticable difference. Others were equally down.  So hopefully it means on a PB course you have more to go at.  congrats again. 

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Tim - very nice 5K indeed, that's certainly laying down a marker for future improvement.

PMJ - I spoke to him afterwards, and he's intending to run.  He downplayed it, saying he'll just be looking to get round.  I'm not buying that.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    Tim Natrajan wrote (see)

Just seen the results... They gave me a 16:48 in 35th place. Where did they add those 3 seconds from, I don't know! 

You weren't the only one. I noticed on twitter last night a few in the same boat, most notably Dave Norman, winner of the Manchester Marathon

https://twitter.com/dave_norman/status/352900726864871424

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

SG, I wish that was the case! I still get a bit of a nervous/ edgy/ dreaded feeling on the day of my track sessions etc as I know how much they hurt. I do tend to leave everything on there and the couple of mates who came weren't expecting to feel that sort of pain. They were probably in the thinking of just running more miles makes you quicker. 

Tim, a lad who I train with sometimes mentioned last week that Sale always tends to add a few seconds on. Looking at Johnas' link it seems to confirm it. I'd be wounded if I managed a 15.59 then the results came out at 16.01 or something. image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Blame some the geriatrics who hold the watch at the finish. I did some time taking on the track and these duffers were finding over half a second extra from somewhere.

The worst I find is on road relays where I purposely start my watch before the hand over and stop it after I've handed over myself.

That way you'rd believe anything you have on your own watch is slower than the official time. Want a bet?

At Milton Keynes the timekeepers found an extra 3 seconds on my leg and I'd stopped the watch when I was lying down finished.

🙂

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

My dad has just qualified as a timekeeper for track athletics, and has done some track County Championships etc.  He says that, unlike when he previously qualified some time ago (he's had a long break from officiating), there was no test of your timekeeping ability at all  - you turned up, did the course, and that was that.  You then have to move up the local/county/regional/national hierarchy by doing a certain amount of meets.

I imagine adding 3 seconds onto a County 100m final wouldn't go down too well.