Transvulcania 2014

Anyone else thinking about this? After watching the programme on C4 last weekend I'm now thinking this might be next year's holiday - a fortnight in a lovely location and a cracking looking run into the bargain.

The race isn't expensive to enter, but the flights and accomodation will require a bit of saving, I reckon.

Comments

• shawkshawk ✭✭✭

Have done a bit of research on this one today and I'm very keen. Direct flights look like weekends only but you can fly to Tenerife in the week for about £250. Tenerife to La Palma is a short flight for about £40 so could easily have a few days in Tenerife (climb Teide!), fly to La Palma Thurs/Fri, race Saturday, back to Tenerife Mon and back to Blighty Tues/Weds. Shouldn't imagine booking odd nights in hotels would be difficult or expensive.

• loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭

Ive wanted to run this for a while now...2014 could be the year image

mount Teide is lovely , a while since i went there!

• Ran it this year, highly recommend it.

After landing at Tenerife South I jumped in a taxi to the port and got a ferry across to La Palma.

• Oh I so want to run this. Cash is the only stumbling block though. I'll be entering WS again and UTMB so I think this will have to wait. I'd hate to book this up and my WS entry come in. Couldn't afford both.

Loulabell. I'm going to be running on Mount Teide on Boxing day. Haven't had chance to check out routes yet. Is it possible to run up and down it in a day? 

• I think I will be there and also TransGranCanaria in March.But will start next year,like every year,with GC Marathon in January.My OH is from GC and I just love the islands.

• loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭

Dill, im jealous!!!  yes you can don walk/run in a day but i think you need to look at the altitude perhaps , deoends how you are with mountain ascent ? also a friend of mine hiked it years back and im sure i remember him saying there was a case of needing permission if you wanted to go past a certain altitude point. i may be wrong but it may be worth checking out first .image

• Thanks for the heads up Lou I shall check it right out before I go.

Family holiday over Chrimbo and New year. I would have been up there Christmas day but I have had to compromise on Boxing day.

My wife keeps talking about winter sun etc. I'm just thinking I can run every day in a beautiful and warm place.. Hope she takes a good book.

• How hard is it to get a place in Transvulcania?

• Not hard at all Ben.  You just go on and register and pay your money!  No qualifying races etc like say the UTMB and CCC.  

I can't wait.  Not done and ultra in ages for various reasons so really looking forward to this.  It looked amazing on the tv.

• loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭
    cragchick wrote (see)

how refreshing to have a race that isn't all about points qualification.

I really love the look of this but not sure about logistics at the moment so may have to be a 2015 thing!!

CragC, i want to do it too but like you , logistics and time to go etc may mean 2015 for me as well- shall we pencil it in ?lolimage

• Followed this race for tlast last couple of years and definitely on the list of 'to do' races.

May not happen for me next year but certainly 2015.

• loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭

imageimage* sulks with cragc*

• loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭

Cragc, we will def make it to an event together with a collection of children no doubtimage

• Think this could be my 2015 race looks a great race. better start saving image

• GertieGertie ✭✭✭

Saw a program on this yesteday on eurosport.  Would be interested in the 2015 race.

Better find some hills

• I can safely say I won't ever do this. Good luck to you all.

• loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭

so looking at 2015 we have :

Cragc

Loula

Lingster

Gertie

anymore?

• God it's tempting!!  My aim for 2015 is UTMB though, with attemtped qualifying points next year.  Looks amazing though.

Loulabell, I met you on the Druid's and also at CP 43 mile on NDW50, you mentioned you were tempted by the NDW100.  Have you entered??  As I marshalled for the 50, then that's what I'll be doing next year and also aiming at Winter 100 (which I'm marshalling for this year).

I shall pencil in the Transvulcania for 2016.  That'll cheer the missus up no end!!!

• loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭

hi Rich, were you taking the timings at Botley hill?

was it you who  told me you saw my Tshirt from last years ndw50?imageimage i will indeed be entering NDW100 for next yearimage. join the vulcania gang!

• loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭

image( we will all get round it by using the excuse that 'ITS A HOLIDAY ' to the rest of the family/wife/hubby/boyf/girlfs)- they will all love it once they are there!!!

• Yes Loulou that was me at Botley Hill.  Good luck with the NDW100, it clashes with a date I can't do every year sadly.

You're right about the holiday thing.  I've managed a holiday in Northumberland because of the Kielder marathon and also Mull of Kintyre because of the half marathon.  Both were totally worth it.  The kids have been nagging about a holiday abroad - well who am I to deny them - Canary Islands in May it is....

• loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭

Richyla, ah thats a shame you cant do NDW100 , i will see you at NDW50 then at least.

i think we are all going to end up doing vulcania at some point, it seems to be one im drawn to and keep thinking lots about. i have a feeling that once done its the sort that will have you going back for another go though!

• loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭

good article about it in Trail Magimage

• I've entered for next year.... looks amazing and should be fantastic training should I get lucky in the UTMB draw image

• Has anyone that has done this before managed to fathom out the registration process? I registered and received a paypal notification of my payment but no registration confirmation. Sent them a mail to confirm and they say that you can only track your registration on the site by logging in. Created a user profile and logged in but it doesn't seem to have linked my user account and my registration (even though both are using the same email address) and doesn't show any entry details.

I've sent them another couple of mails but nothing back yet. I'm a little confused image