Options

Birmingham and Black Country Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options

10am for me.

I do hope the diversion is sign posted well as looks tricky if you don't know the area.

• Options

Yes..finally some information...but has anyone else got the wrong starting time?

• Options

10.15. So sod's law that I had plenty of time to travel up on the morning without boking a hotel and I'll be finished a fair few hours before I can get on my train home. So I'm wasting time and money - and generally speaking I have little of either to spare. Now all I need to do is hope that the racepack turns up today or tomorrow as I will have left for work way before the postman arrives Friday and am travelling up straight after work... I still think that such late notification is inexcusably poor.

Still the forecast is sunny, it's a lovely route so fingers crossed that the previous reviews are accurate and that this event is worth it.

• Options

9am for me image Nice and cool in the morning, in Brum for 10:45 ish, shower, then pubs open at 11..............sorted.....

• Options

Geeking, my number implies 9:15 but website says 9:00. nothing to worry about really.

• Options

I have received my pack today but the pack had come open, i cannot see the chip is it attached to the do not remove seals on the back or as it been lost? I would be grateful for any help on this.

• Options

Yes, but I entered the elite race and have got 10.45am!

• Options

Can anyone point me to a google maps view to the diversion bit, it sounds very complicated and I'd like to see a map of it first.

• Options

There was literally a number in the envelope that arrived. My understanding is that the timing chip is under the 'do not remove' stickers.

Got a start time of 9.45am. Seems early for my ability, but then I cant remeber the estimated time I put on the entry.

• Options

Matt

I am sure there will be marshals or clear direction markers to get people through this diversion.

But I thought the same as you so I just searched Google maps for Bayer St, Tipton.

That gives you a good view and you will see where the blue canal becomes a thin grey line - which is where it goes through the tunnel. Bear in mind you are running from top to bottom.

Then you should be able to make sense of the directions in the Race Information Pack. i.e. School Street, Bayer Street, (Bridge Street), Central Drive and back to the canal.

Mark

• Options

Hi Mark,

Thanks for that, I'm sure there'll be signs & marshalls; I just like have a bit of an idea where I'm going before I start image

• Options

This diversion will take our minds off that nasty dark and long tunnel.  Im sure it will be an adventure for us all.

I cant wait to get to Brindley place and have a well deserved chill and a few vinos in the sun imageimageimage

I remember a few year back, the Bean factory was in the process of being knocked down and all the runners were coming in covered in soot.

• Options

I doubt it KAKS as the diversion is right after the tunnel - 'Once through the tunnel head up the (steep!) steps'. image

• Options

Had a look at the diversion today and would say about 1/3 mile on road, but be aware stpes are very steep and a lot of them, about 85 at a guess.

• Options

85 steep steps! wow! this will be a different feeling after running on the canal and through the tunnel! hope its well signposted etc

good luck everyone

• Options

From what I can see you just keep to the right, look for Central Drive on the right, go over a railway bridge then turn right back down to canal.

85 steps eh? That's going to make it interesting image

• Options

OMG ! 85 steps (that must mean circa 85 down as well), sounds like a bottle neck situation to me, especially as it by the dreaded tunnel image

Noel you could be right "interesting indeed"

BBCHM assault course here we come LOL

• Options

This thread is making me seem a right grumpy bastard. The race pack supposedly contains my number and a luggage tag. 2 items, well at least I have a race number...

• Options

2wheels, I am not sure of the source of your grump. The luggage label is a small tear off strip on the bottom of you number. 

• Options

Anyone else still waiting for their race pack..?? Getting pretty worried now since others on here seem to have theirs. The post is usually pretty reliable in my area so I don't know what happened. Does anyone know if event usually have spare timing chips on the day? 

• Options

Apologies - in my post above I put Bayer St, Tipton. It's quite near to Tipton but the postal address is actually Bilston. I think it would probably come up under either.

KAKS wrote (see)

OMG ! 85 steps (that must mean circa 85 down as well)

KAKS

No - I don't think there are any steps at the other end at all. 

Using Street view on Google maps it looks as if the roads take you gradually back down to canal level.

Hope I'm right on that.

Mark

• Options

Thanks Mark, me too image

• Options

still no race pack,but i know my start time, which is most important i guess at this stage!. first time doing this, and even with the detour, sure its gonna be an enjoyable run!

Only travelling from stourbridge so havent had the complications with late notice some of you guys have had but lets hope the race makes up for it.

Just need to concentrate on trying to avoid hearing the lions result until i get home when i can watch it on Sky + image

best of luck to everyone running!

• Options

Race number has arrived, Hurray!

Nasty blister probably isn't so going to clear in time so looks like I'm not running, boo!

• Options

What's the deal with bag transfer? Does any one know? 

I'm assuming there's no cut off time as we're setting out through the morning and that there are regular deliveries of bags to the finish so the first wave don't have to wait ages?

• Options

Can somebody let me know if you get free lift back to Wolverhampton? Whats the deal?

• Options

Stefik, you need to make your own way back. The train station is quite nearby, or park at the finish and train to Wolvs (which is my plan)

• Options

Yep, you have to make your own way back.

I'm running there are getting the train back to Wolverhampton.

• Options

I often see peeps (at about mile 11 when I am spent) who have already finished running back to wolves :0/.  (smugglies lol).

Good Luck everyone image

• Options

There is the Metro as well. Will be using it myself to get to Wolves and then back from Birmingham.  £5 approx for day ticket.  In my case works out much cheaper than train tickets.

Feeling bit nervous about how hot it is going to be tomorrow image

Good luck everyone image