UK Citizenship Test

A few of us in our office have just taken the UK Citizenship Test. I would say that we are a fairly intelligent bunch of people but none of us have passed the test. Give it a try and post your score and comments - http://www.ukcitizenshiptest.co.uk/

Comments

• What bizarre questions - who knows most of that stuff aparts from politicians and statisticians?

I passed the US one though, it's dead easy  image

• BarklesBarkles ✭✭✭

Erm... I'll get me coat.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Anyone who's read the special book they give you to revise from, I'd imagine. I got 16 (would have been 17 if I'd read the questions properly) so I'm not worthy either, but in general the ones I got right were practical stuff about how things and institutions work, and the ones I got wrong were guesses about dates and statistics.

• Some of the questions are misleading. For example

"'In the 1980s, the largest immigrant groups were from the West Indies, Ireland, India and Pakistan.' True or False?

Is false, the correct answers being Americans, Australians, South Africans and New Zealanders.

If you read the question as referring to ethnic origin of the population, it's true, if you read it as referring to who immigrated in the 80s, it's false.

Shite question.

I got 50%.

• I got 54% and mostly guessed.

• Leave the country, all of you.

You're not worthy of being here.

• 58% - most of those questions are subjects most brits are just not interested enough to find out

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

12/24  Fail.

And I don't agree with some of the answers either. Some are badly worded.

Also, prescriptions are free to all where I live. Perhaps the people in London don't know that.

That is one terrible test.  It just tests if you're any good at learning a pointless handbook (what year did divorce come in? Er... who cares?

How many Muslims in uk?  How many under 19s in UK?  

I wouldn't mind if the multiple choice options were wildly different... that would test if you had a feel for the UK.  But, for example, having to choose between 15 million, 16 million, 17 million or 18 million  Under 19s... can only be learned by rote.  I'd rather they said 2 million, 9 million, 16 million or 24 million.

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Why have multiple choice at all ? Someone could pass the test by not knowing any of the answers and guessing everything

• I didn't! image

Seriously though, have a look at the US one, it's ridiculously easy by comparison. Not quite "Where does the president live?" but almost...

• so a test of how can learn some basic facts.........

if the questions are the same each time then they just need to learn the pattern of answers.a,c,,a,b,d etc.........they won't even have to learn english to get top marks

• I failed (16/24) so obviously it's a stupid quiz.

Half a dozen questions on queuing etiquette would probably be more appropriate.

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭

63% - fail. 

I mostly guessed the answers, although I did know some of them. I have no idea how/why knowing that stuff would make you a 'worthy' citizen...

• Well I'm pretty good at guessing but still a failure. 17 right in 7mins 20secs or 18secs per question. At least I got the single carriageway speed limit question right - about the only useful and relevant fact to know..

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭
    Peter Everitt wrote (see)

Well I'm pretty good at guessing but still a failure. 17 right in 7mins 20secs or 18secs per question. At least I got the single carriageway speed limit question right - about the only useful and relevant fact to know..

But even that was a bit ambiguous.  There are huge portions of the network where single carriageways have 20,30,40 or 50mph limits.    It just seems to have been written in a slap-dash way.  I know it could not have been 70mph, so it just had to be the 60mph answer, but they should still have said 'unless otherwise designated'.

It should say speed limit - unless otherwise designated.

• If they keep people out on the basis of this test (15 for me, for the record), the country's going to be empty before long.

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

I didn't do too great and I honestly thought I knew the answers to most of them.  As others have said, when I looked back over them again I noticed that some of the questions were designed to lead you to a particular answer.

• Peter Collins wrote (see)

If they keep people out on the basis of this test (15 for me, for the record), the country's going to be empty before long.

Perhaps the questions were drawn up by UKIP - I bet Nigel Farage knows all the answers! image

So, anyway, the upshot is nobody knows anybody that passed?

• I did, well I had to last year image  They have updated the test a bit now but it's still nuts.

• A friend of mines partner just has she says I have to leave to make room for him

• I hate to be smug but 100% pour moi

• Screamapillar wrote (see)

I got 54% and mostly guessed.

Me too image

• carterusm wrote (see)

A few of us in our office have just taken the UK Citizenship Test. I would say that we are a fairly intelligent bunch of people but none of us have passed the test. Give it a try and post your score and comments - http://www.ukcitizenshiptest.co.uk/

I thought you were a policeman, don't you work with policemen, have you changed jobs?

• My OH is a policeman image

• "Fairly intelligent bunch of people but none of us have passed the test" I would have thought law of averages might have kicked in and at least one passed if all were really fairly intelligent. Might have to reconsider recruitment policies eh?imageimageimage

• Captain Always wrote (see)

Hmmm, fail for me, but did just pass our work on line health and safety test with 98%.

P.S should there be some sort of law that prohibits people having to work on days like to day? 

Yes, yes there should image

• I think that this would be a better test:

1. Are you planning to integrate into society (whilst retaining your cultural and religious identity, if you wish, assuming it is compatible with British law)?  Y/N

2. Are you planning to learn the language fluently, thereby negating the need for £200m worth of translators and multi-language pamphlets? Y/N 

3. Are you planning to work and pay the correct amount of tax, in accordance with the law? Y/N

4. How many names were in the first published telephone directory?

5. Bonus question - where is my intentional grammitcal error?

That should do it!

• Screamapillar wrote (see)

My OH is a policeman image

So what, you believe the police aren't just government gimps? Sorry to burst your bubble.