Outlaw 2013

Comments

• Swim

T1
    Get out.... Run 100 yards to outside the change tent.  They have some wetsuite strippers but you should be able to strip your suit off yourself.  You need this off before you enter the change tent

Find you t1 bag, find somewhere to get changed.   Add bum butter, put bike shoes on, add sunnies and race number.
    Some poeple have a towel, change into bib shorts etc etc - I just put a bike top on for extra pockets / protect my shoulders....  I use my tri shorts for swim/bike/run.  You dry out on the bike so just get going.....
    Put wetsuit, goggles etc in bag and drop with volunteer as you exit the tent and run to your bike.  Helmet on, gloves etc on and grab bike and go....

Bike

Drink water for 20 mins, then switch to sports drink.  Gel on 30 minutes, solid food on the hour (this is personal so alter according to how you have done your long bikes...)  When you re running out of drink, you pick up more at an aid station

•     ditch the empty bottle coming into the I'd station,
    •     slow down and grab a bottle of high5 from a volunteer you holds it out for you.
    •     You may be able to grab a gel or banana as well but that's a bonus
    •     dont crash

Ideally you should be self sufficent for food/ gels, but you can bring half/ grab half...  If you totally rely on aid stations what happens when they run out....?
    Aid stations also have a portaloo or 2 as well.......  you will need them at some point

If its really hot I take 4 salt tabs on the bike, 3 for the run in tiny zip lock bags (saltstick) and have one every 90 mins, but then I sweat like a stuck pig .....

If you re desperate you can have a special needs bag, but very few people use them

I stop eating solid food for the last hour

T2

Get off bike (Thank F for that!!!)
    Hand bike to friendly helper who racks it for you
    Run/ waddle into change tent and grab run bag from the numbered hook
    Empty contents onto floor
    Bike top off, monaco on, (or its already on - whatever), shoes/ socks off, new socks / shoes on.
    Sun tan lotion on if its hot, or add more clothing if it's cold.
    Globs of vaseline where required
    Hat / buff on, sunnies on.
    Pack bike kit into bag, hand to volunteer and go for a run!

• Run

eat what ever you can and not throw up.  I dont do solid food at this point, but others do
    I do 2 gels an hour, washed down with water / sports drink.  I carry 2 gels to start with and generally then grab gels as I go, always having at least 1 in reserve
    I swap to coke for the second half.

Go to the loo.....x times

If you have got the nutrition wrong, or gone too hard, then your stomach goes balistic.....
    If you have paced it well, hopefully all  is good and you dont stop very often.

Finish

Eat stuff in the finish tent
    Pick up post race bag, walk slowly up the stairs and shower / get changed.
    head for chips and burger and beer!!!! and support those still coming in

A personalised pirate t-shirt / hoodie is mandatory for you  / supporters otherwise no one knows who you are and you might get ignored.   Theres a link on the pirate web site somewhere. 
    Its obviously too late for that now - hey ho

phew!!!!

* all details are totally personal and there are hundreds of ways to skin a cat.....(not sure the cat is happy tho)

• Not enough loo tripsimage

• It's getting near that time.

Race strong Pirates 

(GWS Holgs).

• Cupcake. wrote (see)

Going back a few pages - Meldy - not entirely sure, may get up to the southern part of the bike loop and shout abuse from there, unfortunately on the Saturday night there is a mini beer festival happening about 100 yards from our front door, well I say unfortunately...

Iron Pingu wrote (see)

Ah, so you'll be there supporting Sunday Cupcake, beer festie hangover permitting? image

Supporting is always better with a stinking hangover

• My loo trips are starting already!

• OC is definitely short on the number of loo visits......the hardest decision of the morning is when to pull the wetsuit fully up instead of just waist high.as after then your toilet visits are restrictedimage

• iPhone now says 27C for Nottingham on Sunday.

• seren nos wrote (see)

OC is definitely short on the number of loo visits......the hardest decision of the morning is when to pull the wetsuit fully up instead of just waist high.as after then your toilet visits are restrictedimage

Never thought of the wetsuit being half up. Was a bit concerned about the loo stop at end of orange cannons 2nd post with wetsuit on alreadyimage

I'm taking tapering well. Am sitting with my feet up and doing nothingimage

• I've just got the camping stuff from the attic.that seems easier than trying to tacklt the kit........

and I'm going to see blood brothers tonight and I'm busy cooking a sunday roast dinner.....

so should really get off the computerimage

• OC - cheers for the posts, brilliant information, hope it helps me!

not long now!!

• forgot to mention the mandatory pre race wee once you het in the water.

optional mid swim wee but I steuggle to do thatimage

• ... the record I believe is 9

Dont ask me how I know this    image

• Its the only [part that i get close to the top of the results........I go all the time......so don't draft meimage

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

I'm so sorry to be missing you all this year but I ahve other commitments.  Good luck to all of those racing, and don't forget to enjoy it too.

I hope all the supporters have started their taper now.  Its a long day for everyone so you need to be restedimage

I promise I will be back to hurl abuse and High 5 at you all next year.

• joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Good luck to all taking part and supporting this weekend.

I hope you all have a brilliant time image!

• OC , thanks for that, now we can all relax about the briefing and go for a swim at 1100?image.

Most of kit in car, aiming to be one of the first on the campsite at 1000am, kick back and work on the sunburn, whilst doing absolutely nothing, short gap then it's on to putting up other peoples tents, don't know why they ask as mine is always a hint of Pisa about itimage

Sorry to hear that some have been hijacked for this year,image no worries play the long game and start strategising for next year , it's sooner than you think!

• Car packed, just clearing the Garmin of data and all good to go tomorrow (via the LBC and Tesco). I have a recollection of someone posting a map that points out where the Pirates will be camping, does it ring any bells?

Aiming to be there and pitched by midday tomorrow.

Chomping at the bit...bring it on!

• TJ1004TJ1004 ✭✭✭

Holgs as other others have said your book is to blame and now you bail. Hope you get well soon.

God its getting so close now, everyone seems really organised and I am manic at work so busy that I will be lucky to be packed tomorrow night which was my goal.

• Good luck Stanners.

What is your race number? Cant make it over and I am sure we want to give you some virtual support.

• Stanners from the Bridge wrote (see)

Car packed, just clearing the Garmin of data and all good to go tomorrow (via the LBC and Tesco). I have a recollection of someone posting a map that points out where the Pirates will be camping, does it ring any bells?

/members/images/450712/Gallery/CampSite_3.JPG

• **Comes running in waving pompoms wildly**
    Good luck everyone. Especially those who are popping their Ironman cherry.
    See you there image x

• I've looked out some stuff but i've opted for a glass of vino instead of packing, and now i'm going to watch a film image  I shall pack when I get up.  thinking of leaving the garmin at home too, since I've not used it for my two long runs.....

Anyhoo, in case I don't get on here before I leave, i'll see you all tomorrow, woo hooo hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo image imageimageimageimage

• Iron Muffin wrote (see)

Good luck Stanners.

What is your race number? Cant make it over and I am sure we want to give you some virtual support.

Cheers Muffin. STiL said it was touch and go if you guys would be making it. Thanks for the loan of the Pirate Hoodies too. 26 degrees be damned, the girls are wearing them! I'm #536 on the day

• Rafiki wrote (see)
    Stanners from the Bridge wrote (see)

Car packed, just clearing the Garmin of data and all good to go tomorrow (via the LBC and Tesco). I have a recollection of someone posting a map that points out where the Pirates will be camping, does it ring any bells?

/members/images/450712/Gallery/CampSite_3.JPG

Much obliged!

• lie down , sit down , walk .................. nothing to see hereimage 

• Supporter tapering with vino looking forward to the weekend see you all tomorrowimage

• Ridgebackmax wrote (see)

Supporter tapering with vino looking forward to the weekend see you all tomorrowimage

Competitor tapering with a nice single maltimage

• Car packed.  Dropping eldest to school then rocking up at 2-3 pm I reckon.  see you all tomorrow!