Long time subscribers

October will mark the 20th anniversary of Runners World in the UK. Have you been a subscriber, or a regular reader since we started out? If so we'd love to hear from you. Drop us a line at editor@runnersworld.co.uk

Comments

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

I just cancelled mine I'm afraid Annie it doesn't  present value for money based on the content any more

• As above .. been on the forums a fair while but the magazine subscription ran out a while ago

• 19 years and 11 months of carbs, carbs, carbs and in this months edition you tell me not to eat carbs!!

• Same thing month after month, just different title. Cancelled subscription a few years ago due to this.

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Still got my sub going but am betting I'm reading the same type of things my dad did when he read Today's Runner!

• SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭

I think it's great for beginners but don't think it's worth subscribing to for more than a year. The same articles are rehashed time and time again and I get really tired of all the random stats showing how running is beneficial. I can see how sometimes it must be challenging to find new things to write about. I'd like to see more about club running and different training methods and much less about losing weight. 

• Same here - the first year as a beginner it was useful but articles all rehashed - got fed up with the same old advice for getting out on trails and shoe/equipment reviews.

Switched to 'Running Fitness' - cheaper and much better - much more focus on 'real' runners - elites/old pros etc, lot of technical anatomy/injury information - just different altogether.  The new style of RW just finished me off - too much bite size info- I can cope with wordy articles RW!

• Torquay runner i too read running fitness magazine like you say alot more interesting content and much, much cheaper!!!!

I use to subscribe to runners world but cancelled due to the cost and repetative content ...sorry

• I cancelled too. 

It simply doesn't 'fit' with non beginners. There is nothing in it to interest someone who isn't just starting out. And I can't bear headlines like 'Run Strong Forever' and 'Beat Injury' that I can see in the ad just to my right over there

How about some REAL articles like 'injury is eventually inevitable but this is how you deal with it' or 'when you really hate running and you've only just realised you're falling out of love with it'? 

I'll even write them for you if you want? 

Just stop pretending that all runners look like your cover guy. Put some of us on there, covered in sweat and crying at the finish line.

Then I'll buy it.

• Recently cancelled after many years of reading largely repetitive stuff. Great for beginners but the 12 to 18 month cycle of info was wearing a bit thin. As is the forum to be frank.... The last few months of development errors and spam are making it all a bit dull which is a shame as there are some wonderful people on here some of whom I  name as friends. We don't seem to matter though to the publishing group who treat the whole enterprise as a callous and commercial operation to the disadvantage of your most faithful followers. 

• LIVERBIRD wrote (see)

Just stop pretending that all runners look like your cover guy. Put some of us on there, covered in sweat and crying at the finish line.

Yep, they'll be flying off the shelves then! 

• That's the point Pudge. It's all a big lie.

• LIVERBIRD wrote (see)

That's the point Pudge. It's all a big lie.

Sadly though, I sure wouldn't buy it if there was a picture of me on the front cover...and I'm pretty sure I speak for the nation there too image

• I know Annie was probably hoping for loads of us to step forward and say 'we'be been buying it since 1993 and its still great' and is now a bit disheartened by the replies that she has got, but the truth is RW isn't listening to the runners. 

If you want to be a magazine that people buy for 12 months and then never read again, you're doing a great job. If you want to build up a core base of loyal subscribers you HAVE to listen to what they're saying to you.

But you don't. And we all voted with our feet. And you lost our subscriptions. 

Ho hum. 

• LIVERBIRD wrote (see)

But you don't. And we all voted with our feet. 

Pun intended?

• No! But I'm going to say 'yes' now to sound funny image

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

I've have been a subscriber to RW for just over  a year and in the time it has been a great source of information and motivation. However, I too have started noticing the same type of articles starting to appear. Reading the above comments are making me feel that I will be wasting my money if I continue with my subscription. Does anyone know how I cancel it ?

• Stop the DD. 

That sends a strong message image

• If you're still finding it useful, then I would urge you to carry on. It's not a BAD magazine. It just suits a time in your life that fits the bill when you're fairly new to running. 

I don't buy Practical Parenting anymore or Brides for the same reason. My children are weaned and potty trained now they're in their teens and I don't need to know the latest trends in wedding frocks.

Actually....I've just had a GREAT idea! 

A magazine for raising grumpy, zitty, hormonal little gits who think they're adults! 

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Yes I subscribed for many years  but stopped a few years  back getting too costly and having to make cutbacks  is  too repetitive  nothing  for the non beginners and too much marathon focussed  Jan -April/May every year

• That's because THE marathon is in April Pammieimage

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I subscribed about fifteen years ago, cancelled the sub about thirteen years ago.

The last issue that I saw was several years ago, and what I noticed was that it was full of large pictures and not much text.

• Perfect for most of the kids round here then Wilkie? image

• GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭

Full of weight loss articles, daft things like 'lose weight with curry', 'recovery faster' with cake, more weight loss articles, the insanely irritating and pointless Tonky Talk, too many lightweight bite sized pieces with stupid graphics etc. I think it was lose weight with curry that made me cancel my subs. To be fair, I don't even scan through it in Tesco now because I know I won't buy it.

Some proper articles about, oh I don't know, say a long term goal of dipping under 3 for a marathon, the local XC or road relay race scene, something about racing and running rather than running to lose weight. I don't know if it's still in, but there used to be a half page piece where a coach looked at somebody's typical week, pb's and then suggested changes to their routine, I enjoyed that. It was useful.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    GraemeK wrote (see)

'lose weight with curry'

*subscribe*

• Tonky Talk. Irritating and pointless is a perfect summary GraemeK

• Can only echo the previous sentiments.
    As a relatively recent reader (last 3 years or so) I noticed the quality dropped off significantly after the 'redesign'.

What happened to the race reports? Running off road is not a new invention. Core exercise sections seem to have disappeared as well. 

I now buythe trail running magazine.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I bet poor Annie wishes she hadn't asked! image

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

I was wondering that too!