Bitten / chased by dogs

Seems to have happened a few times now. No serious bites but nips and scratches and owners never give a toss. Shouted at owners to no avail.

Been considering carrying my phone and taking photographs of culprits - ?

Comments

• some dog owners are so dumb or ignorant! I don't use a cycle path now as it's turned into a dog walkers track with some running free and they are so surprised when a cyclists goes by. It's a Fu**ing cycle path FFS!

Running wise I've been pretty lucky but like dogs and try to make friends with them. Usually works but of course disrupts your run.

I've two of my own and when walking them and a runner goes past I always hold on to them. Pi**ed off others don't.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Well if a dog charges towards to me I simply stop and raise one leg towards it. This creates a 'no go' zone. The animal has a choice, either stop and show some respect or run full tilt into the base of my foot. All I have to do is stand still.

I have no real day to day problems since like most 'dog people' I have more or less the same habits be they time and place. The dogs I meet are familiar with me. They know they are likely to receive a tummy rub and back massage.

🙂

• waycatwaycat ✭✭✭

This really gets to me!

I used to cycle, but gave that up because of too many near-misses with cars.

Then when I started running outside, it was dogs!

Now I use a treadmill and I don't have any problems with people/cars/animals invading my space and disturbing my run!

But getting back to the question: I found it best to simply stop and stand still until the dog decided that I wasn't worth bothering with!  Some owners were really apologietic, some couldn't give a damn.

• SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

My old running partner was great with dogs; she is getting a bit old now so cannot always come out with me these days. You certainly notice the difference. The only time a dog ever went for me whilst running with her ended up with a bit missing out of its back leg. Interestingly the owner apologised and said her dog deserved it, even though she did not see what happened! But my running partner being a Wiemeraner does help her to get away with this sort of behaviour!

Last time I got attacked (no dog protection that day) the owner got stroppy accusing me of punching his dog and saying that the dog did nothing. He got quite aggressive!

Time before that I launched the dog into some brambles, the owner, again claiming the dog did nothing, seemed almost in tears.

+1 for out of control dogs on 'cycle paths' along with the dog mess; they are a waste of money and opportunity (the cycle paths that is).

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

I tend to chase dogs to be honest - I did get bitten by a rottweiler - which the owner promptly kicked - I had a go at the owner for kicking his dog rather than for his dog biting me -  But if a dog does chase me I will chase it - or on a couple of occasions encourage it to run with me  - now that does p*ss the owner off as they get quite worried.

I did get chased in Bulgaria by a bear - that was a different matter and far more worrying than a dog!!!!

• I suspect that if a bear had chased you he would have caught you. He was probably just shooing you off.image

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I always try to be friendly to the dog and usually they are fine.

Last week one started to chase after me so I encouraged it to run with me. The owner soon got it back on the lead.
  • This happened to me the other night in the park round the corner - it's a useful place to do some intervals or speedwork because the boundary of the cricket pitch is almost exactly 400m. Of course, it's also a good place for people to take their dogs. Now, I love dogs, and I tend to think most people who own them look out for other people - but this little yappy thing came at me in the middle of this session. I didn't want to stop because this was training after all; and I'm not really into hurting dogs. Neither my daggers looks nor my shouting 'keep your dog under control' seemed to have any bearing with this woman - I suspect, judging by her waistline, that she couldn't hear me because of the rolls of fat built up in her ears. What is it with some people? If he hadn't desisted when he did, the little furry bundle of fun would have got my trainer in its chops.

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

I never found out whether the bear was chasing or shooing - as fortunately for me it reached the end of a long chain - somehing I only realised when it snapped to a stop!!!

• It's called sharing the planet with other people / animals.

To be honest I've never had a problem with dogs while running. I go running with my own dog and when out walking they never chase cyclists or runners. My jack russell is quite friendly so will run up to people wanting a fuss now and again. I just call her back and there doesnt seem to ever be a problem.

If a dog ran up to me while running I would just avoid it and carry on, if it was aggressive then I would stop and have a word with the owner.

Saying that one time I had abuse off a women who accused me of kicking her dog as I ran by. The yelp that came out of the dog was due to her yanking it away from me as I ran past and almost had to jump over her dog as she let it walk out in front of me across a whole pavement. I definately didnt touch the dog though but she was adament with foul language that I had kicked her dog.

You get numpties everywhere just need to get on with it I suppose.

• Just remembered that I magnificently hurdled a dog during a cross-country race earlier this year. It went one way, then the other... so did I, until the only way to avoid it was to jump over it. Lovely action I have on the old hurdling.

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

I have a nutty springer spaniel and I make him sit down when any walkers, cyclists or runners pass when we are out walking. Occassionally he will still run after them but I dont just stand there shouting him to come back I go and fetch him. I expect the same in return. It's all well and good dog owners saying things like "oh, he is just excited" or "it's ok, he wont jump up you" but not many dog owners have their dogs under that much control. If a dog comes running after me I will have a quick fuss of it but if it wont leave me alone I am very quick to 'mention' it to the owners. The dog is just doing what comes naturally so it's up to the owners to deal with that

• I just do not understand why people own them. If you want a companion get some friends, if you want to go for a walk just do it (at least you will not have to carry around a little bag of poo).

plus they stink. image

• Won't be long before we get that dog DNA database and all those bites and feces can be traced back to the owner, along with a huge fine.

• DunkyDDunkyD ✭✭✭

Never had any trouble whatsoever and one of my routes is dog central. My father-in-law, who is scared of dogs, constantly gets chased...

D

• Sharing the planet with another animal? I hope nobody shares the planet with me and docks my tail, castrates me, puts me on a leash, feeds me solidified meat jelly and then complains when I fart like a demon. 

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    DunkyD wrote (see)

Never had any trouble whatsoever and one of my routes is dog central. My father-in-law, who is scared of dogs, constantly gets chased...

D

I never have any trouble either, and I encounter a lot of dogs on my runs in a nature reserve.  Dogs seem to want to run with me, but they never appear aggressive.

There was one that used to run out of its garden and bark at me, but it never actually chased me.

Based on observation of people who've said they have had aggression from dogs, they seem to be mostly men.  Perhaps it's the testosterone or something?

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)

Sharing the planet with another animal? I hope nobody shares the planet with me and docks my tail, castrates me, puts me on a leash, feeds me solidified meat jelly and then complains when I fart like a demon. 

Don't forget the in-breeding that results in your skull being too small for your brain, and  trimming your ears so that they are nice and pointy, too.

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    Wilkie wrote (see)

Don't forget the in-breeding that results in your skull being too small for your brain, and  trimming your ears so that they are nice and pointy, too.

And thats just some of the owners !

• I frequently get chased by them, not yet by one that wanted to feast on my sweaty flesh but excited little boys and gals that want to play and probably have their belly caressed.

I'm a dog owner and I know that my stubborn wee fella suddenly develops terrible hearing when he's off the lead so we keep him on one.  If we cannot have full control over him, he shouldn't be off the lead.  As far as i'm concerned, this is an attitude everyone should have.

My worst dog run in wass one that bounded over a verge and straight into my path as I was in the teeth clenching throws of a tempo session.  The dog didn't half let out a yelp as my knee went into his chest and I was a tad stunned and hobbling after it too.  I turned to the owner, foolishly waiting for the apology that was coming my way only for him to thrown his arms into the air as if under arrest and mouth some words I was too far away to hear properly but something about a duck and anchor.  Somehow this clash seemed to be the fault of the human, running in a  straight line down a path, minding his own business.

The truth of the matter is, humans are horribly flawed and most of us are totally incapable of taking responsibility for our own foul ups.

• Yes I had meant to add that too Debraimage

• Steve Rand 7 wrote (see)

I just do not understand why people own them. If you want a companion get some friends, if you want to go for a walk just do it (at least you will not have to carry around a little bag of poo).

plus they stink. image

I generally find that people who don't like dogs/cats/animals in general, tend to have a cruel streak.............!!

I have more time for animals than I do for humans these days.  I've never been chased by dogs whilst on a run, even when I've had my dog with me (he is always on his lead so that I have control). 

I have more trouble with cyclists who come right up behind you and shout at you to move at the last minute - shouldn't they be using a bell as a warning?? And no, I don't run with headphones on.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Sweeping generalisation there, Beth!

I don't much like animals, but I've never wanted to hurt one (although I admit to throwing things at cats that are shitting in my garden, to scare them off). 

I could make generalisations about people who'd rather spend time with creatures who won't disagree with them, don't have opinions of their own, won't argue about what to watch on telly, and who unconditionally love whomever feeds them.

Let's not forget that it's dog 'lovers' who do all the things referred to above, in pursuit of the 'perfect' example of their breed!

• People who love animals are the ones that fill the rescue shelters with abused and unwanted pets. The RSPCA must prosecute far more animal lovers that they do the people who don't like them. 

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

On the occasions that I cycle, I yell rather than use a bell, as it tends to gain greater reaction.

I run on a lot of country tracks, fields and so on. As usual you get the "(s)he's only playing" and "they won't hurt you" from owners who don't have proper control of their animals. I'd not intentionally hurt one, but sometimes they need a swift kick. The dogs too...
    Been attacked by one dog - normally kept in some kind of cage as I subsequently found out: came flying out of a country house and took a nice bite out of my arm. Owners got a caution, I got about 15 stitches and nerve & tendon damage.
    Also had shorts/socks nipped by those yappy little f**ckers.

Still don't know why I should have to stop on paths where "dogs must be kept under close control, or on a lead" but yeah, if I see one bounding along then I tend to slow down. I'd expect a "thanks" from the owners. I hardly ever get one.
    Near the farms here, some of the dogs tend to bark a lot, run with you until you are passed their land and then run home. Scares the fk out of you the first time, but you have to get used to it.

That said, the majority of owners (and their dogs) are reasonably courteous and understanding, give and take and all that.
    In town, its those long leads that are a trip hazard, especially at night.

• Steve Rand 7 wrote (see)

I just do not understand why people own them. If you want a companion get some friends, if you want to go for a walk just do it (at least you will not have to carry around a little bag of poo).

plus they stink. image

For all you know, people might think the same about you?

And yeah, I suppose it's much better for all those elderly people whose friends and realtives are all dead to be lonely and miserable rather than having a pet. Perhaps they should all just get on with dying...

• Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)

People who love animals are the ones that fill the rescue shelters with abused and unwanted pets. The RSPCA must prosecute far more animal lovers that they do the people who don't like them. 

Well that's kind of an illogical conclusion.  How can someone who loves animals abuse them and not want them any more?  Shelters are full of animals who were bought by people who thought they loved animals and then find out that they don't love them enough to take care of them properly.

• "Shelters are full of animals who were bought by people who thought they loved animals and then find out that they don't love them enough to take care of them properly."

I think the point was that shelters are entirely devoid of animals bought by people who don't give a shit about animals and know it.

• Perfectly logical to me. 

• Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)

Perfectly logical to me. 

Good, good.  I like my small, Japanese looking green and balck cartoon.....actually, what is that thing?  To have the courage of their convictions.

Makes for a dissapointingly inert cyber-argument though.