Starting again from the beginning!

Comments

• Went for 5.8m this evening, was really hot so felt like hard work but managed to get round in 59m so pleased with that.

happy running folks

• Gammineez wrote (see)

Went for 5.8m this evening, was really hot so felt like hard work but managed to get round in 59m so pleased with that.

happy running folks

Just got in from work but well done mate, at the moment i can only dreamimage

• I agree with BTB its all about form I think - the way you run determines how your feet hit the floor and if everything is lined up nicely then its all good. I have been trying to run with better form and its more efficient and feels smoother

Having said that I have "runners block" you hear of writes having it when they cant come up with ideas etc. Well, I have it with running at the moment, struggled to get out yesterday - didn't want to go - even though I have only been once this week.

At one point I deliberately left it late then hoped I was to late to go but due to circumstances I found I could so pushed myself out

Been happening for 2 weeks now lacking motivation. HELP !!!! I can feel the same feelings when I have given up before. What keeps me going is knowing if I stop next time I want to go out it will hard as it was over 2 months ago

But this happens to me a lot, by tomorrow will probably be bursting to get out !

To be fair theres a lot going on at home and that should be sorted in a few weeks. I feel guilty sometimes going out and that doesn't help. I go on hols in 6 weeks need to loose weight fit into my budgie smugglers !!

• Been looking at youtube videos last night about chi running, thats about form but doesn't look easy to do.

Anybody on here practice it?

• Thanks Gammi I shall check him out. Well done on the run as well!

Kev - I dont think you would want to go anywhere near mine! Lets say they are a little "tired" image Yeah I pratice Chi and Pose. It takes a long time but it has changed my running and my life!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/599578_10151105914780309_2011925610_n.jpg

3:30 - motivation is the toughest thing of all! I find it really hard sometimes as well. Try a different route or try something stupid image ha ha ha

I find reading really helps me, grab a great book for days when you feel a bit down and it will make you want to go running again!

Right lets do a book list people, stuff I have read so far....

Born to run, The ultramarathon man, Run! 26.2 stories of blisters and bliss, eat and run, what i talk about when i talk about running, the ghost runner, the looniness of the long distance runner, chi running, how to run fast and injury free, running on empty........

Probably more but thats what I can think of now!

I also find that blogs can be brilliant as well, I follow a couple...

My blog (see what I did there? image ) cardiosaurus.blogspot.co.uk, lukeashton.blogspot.com, barefootted.com, bourbonfeet.blogspot.com

Kev - well done! I practice both chi and pose and sort of use both when running image takes a long time to get used to but well worth the practice

• Thanks b2bimage

need to read more about it, it doesnt look easy to learn though.

how long did It take you to learn and where did you start learning from?

• What about 'plimsolls on and eyeballs out'?  Haven't read it yet but I love the title....

3:30 it can be hard fitting it in around families that's for sure ( I think that's why many people run in the am) hang in there though, you've done amazingly in the last few weeks (12ms?!)   I listen to the Marathon Talk podcast, it's really motivational.  Was listening to it on my way round yesterday.  The voice in my head was saying 'you could have a little walk' but I was hearing about Geraint Thomas doing a few tour days with a fractured pelvis!!!  I thought, 'right, if he can do that I can get up this hill!  The other one was 'if you're gonna eat donuts you can get up this hill'......it's very hilly round here image 

will check out some of those blogs B2B

well done on wk1 done Kev

• Gammineez wrote (see)

What about 'plimsolls on and eyeballs out'?  Haven't read it yet but I love the title....

3:30 it can be hard fitting it in around families that's for sure ( I think that's why many people run in the am) hang in there though, you've done amazingly in the last few weeks (12ms?!)   I listen to the Marathon Talk podcast, it's really motivational.  Was listening to it on my way round yesterday.  The voice in my head was saying 'you could have a little walk' but I was hearing about Geraint Thomas doing a few tour days with a fractured pelvis!!!  I thought, 'right, if he can do that I can get up this hill!  The other one was 'if you're gonna eat donuts you can get up this hill'......it's very hilly round here image 

will check out some of those blogs B2B

well done on wk1 done Kev

Thanks mateimage

• Thanks b2bimage

If you dont clean them up first i dont want them Lol

need to read more about it, it doesnt look easy to learn though.

how long did It take you to learn and where did you start learning from?

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Hi all, will have a proper catch up with the thread later tonight. Finally got out the door this week for 4.72 miles with the wife. Very, very hot run...

July... 4.72

2013 - will update later

• Kev - ha ha ha there is no cleaning these puppies, they stink! image It took me the best part of a year to get it really. Just read the book and studied youtube a lot then it was just practice practice practice! Its a long road but you have to ask yourself how long you want to run for? Do you intend to run 1 year? 2 years? The rest of your life? If your intention is to run for as long as you can then you have a long time to get it right! Train hard, run easy!

Gammi - not read "eyeballs out" yet. I think JR and Grendel have. Its on my "to read" list along with "feet in the clouds"

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Right, a quick catch up with you all….

….Gamineez, a paid party may be on the cards next year lol. They boys had a great time but I was glad of an early night Sunday! I see the power of the thread got you out for an early one, well done. Well done on the near 6 miler, I ran in the heat this afternoon with the wife, she was not impressed with the temperature.

Kev, well done on completing week 1. Please remember, this is a marathon, not a sprint. We’re all (hopefully) in it for the long haul. No rush my friend! As far as the foot needing correcting, do you have an issue with it? With all due respect to sweatshop I would rather seek the advice of a physio who will instantly tell you if you have anything that needs working on or correcting simply by walking barefoot from one side of the room to the other. I have issues with old football injuries and my hip, which gives me an 8mm drop on one side. I wear custom orthotics to make my hips align, which in turn has completely eradicated my ankle problem and made my knee so much better than it was. I would love to run without orthotics, or even barefoot but some of us have genuine issues that do need correcting. I’m just not sure I would take the advice from a bloke in a running shop, unless he has medical qualifications.

330, you will never regret a garmin purchase. Maybe you could put a tenner in a pot with every 20 miles or something? You’d save up in no time and bank plenty of miles to boot. I too am lacking a little motivation at the moment. Missed two runs this week already, kept hitting snooze and the evenings just never happen once tea is done and kids are settled in bed. I am going to find another event to enter, whack it on the fridge so I see it every day, and get back out there. Plus 1 for grabbing a book, I’ll list a few at the end of my post.

B2B, dragging the family out for a run. Good man. Do you feel more relaxed about your upcoming race this time around? Although I wear custom orthotics and cushioned, neutral shoes, I have worked a lot on my form and a heel strike is almost unheard of now! Mid foot all the way for me! I keep my feet as close to the ground as possible as I try to run with minimal effort and maximum efficiency. Arms low by sides, and downhill is now nose over toes. Whatever you wear, sort your form!

Not read Plimsolls on, eyeballs out yet but its on my wish list. Feet in the clouds is excellent. Just started reading a running novel. Distance Runner, so far, so very good.

July - 4.72

2013 – 270.84

• Just Run

Apparently I supernate then mildly pronate as my foot hits the ground. 

Also I heel strike, so they have fitted me with cushioned stability shoes.

• hi everyone. well monday i wanted to go for a run but had no childcare, tuesday i could go but just had no motivation! wednesday I swam so finally yesterday I went for a 4.3 mile run (was short on time for childcare again).

3:30 I normally read my runnersworld magazine to get me motivated.today I have just bought runnersworld coach marathon training guide. B2b I will Google some of the books you've read tomorrow as they sound interesting! 

I also have races booked to keep me motivated, 

York 10k, St Georges in the Weald 10k, Tonbridge half, Ealing half and Basingstoke half!

Good luck over the weekend everyone its going to be tough in the predicted heat! 

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Hi Kevin, I have to be honest and question why your running shop think heel striking requires different shoes? Its a new one on me. You may find this read interesting, as may B2B, although he may not be convincedimage

Myths of running

• That's an interesting article JR.  I've also read that heel stricking isn't necessarily bad as long as its light.    

If the shop is perceiving heel striking to be a problem, by giving you special shoes for it they are treating a symptom rather than the cause, are they not?

I guess the issue is, are you getting injured? If you aren't, fine.  If you are, like you JR, I'd go to a physio for advice over the running shop. You have to look at more of the chain than just your feet.

It cost me £45 for a physio session, which isn't cheap BUT, I spent £95 on a pair of 'appropriate for my gait' Nike shoes from Sweatshop Exeter just before xmas.  I lost the receipt image.  They are the most awful pair of trainers I've ever owned.  I could have had 2 more physio sessions focusing on form for that.

happy running in the sunshine everyone

• No run for me so far today - was off out but got the usual look of disapproval, was told the dogs needed out - I am the only one capable of walking a dog in this house that at the moment has 3 other adults

My wife disapproves of my running. To her life consists of ironing, shopping, housework. That's it no one is allowed to do anything else - oh and she does a couple of hours work and constantly moans about that

May sneak out around 2am if she doesn't wake and catch me

Rant over

• You mean she's sleeping while your dog walking. 

Ask if she wants a fit hunk or couch potato Lol

• That sounds tough 3:30.  Can you run with your dogs?

Have to admit, when I first had my daughter (8yrs ago) Mr Neez was running a lot, he did Edinburgh, Nittingham, white peaks and London Marathon.  my running had died a death for various reasons (mostly child related), so when he announced that he wanted to run the Penine way, I threw my teddies out of the pram.  It was part jealousy and part, 'my life has totally changed and yours hasn't' and part, 'thats so much training, your never going to be here'  To his credit, he said 'ok, I won't do it' which is what I needed at the time.  I would like him to run the Penine Way one day soon though, maybe even do it together, as I still feel bad that I stomped on that dream.  If you don't share a love of something, it can be hard to understand and be supportive.

But.... Went out late today to avoid the heat, ran a beautiful 5.5m around Fingle Bridge, Devon.  It was lush.

• Gammi

Glad you got out and well done.

The dogs aren't a problem (I was being sarcastic with that remark all the other are perfectly capable!!) that was just something to say to put in the way of me going out.BUT my motivation is back.

I gave myself a little goal of 100 miles this month and so far only 10 so not a good start, I wasn't going to mention but putting it on here gives me a greater push !!

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

That's the spirit 330, now you HAVE to runimage

I have struggled myself recently but got out there this morning in what is already blistering heat. Left a drink in the hedge for halfway and headed west. Went just over 2 miles out, as far as you can at the moment where the canal is fenced off, and turned back with my pace nice and even at 10m/m. Everything felt great, the canal is beautiful, especially in the morning. Got back to my starting point, grabbed my drink and decided a two minute walk while taking on some fluids would be ok. Popped the remainder of my drink back in the hedge for the end of my run and headed east to run the other half of the canal.

The sixth mile of the run was awful. I could feel the temperature rising, I was getting hotter and my legs were starting to get a little heavy. My breathing was still fine and it was obvious to me that this wasn't hard, but maybe doing two out and backs and passing your starting and finishing point got into my head? Two lap or multi lap races may not be an option for me! Anyway, got that mile out of the way despite the temptation to turn back and starting grinding out the last few miles.

After turning around again and heading home I really started to feel it. I hit 8 miles and told myself there was just 20 minutes left but the legs were really getting heavy now. I felt better than this running a hilly 9 miles two weeks ago and last weeks run, despite being a bit slower, never felt this bad? The sun refused to give me a break and around the next corner......I stopped. I hit the lap button and walked for 1 minute before setting off again. 200 yards further along the path, I stopped again. 1 minute later I started off again and despite the last mile pace dropping to almost 11m/m, I finally hit the finish line, exhausted!

Despite the unplanned breaks I hit the line in 1:42:16. Almost 4 minutes off last weeks time, and I have to say looking at the watch with less than a mile to go I realised how much quicker I had been and that really gave me a boost.

July - 14.72

2013 – 280.84

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

I see someone went 15 miles this morning!!!!! 4th on the leader board!!!!!image

• Another little secret JR at the beginning of May I wanted my year total to be 350 by 14/8 when I go away on hols and still got 133 miles to go !!

You done well JR I hate running in the heat. Overcast and drizzly is my favourite  !!

Back out tomorrow will look into a 6 route

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Looking forward to a 5am cooler run tomorrow. No way i want to be going after work any day next week. I will use the weather as my incentive to get up early . My favourite running conditions.....light drizzle, just ebough to keep you cool throughout a run. 

• hey guys and girls hows everyone doing?

Just a quick catch up...

Kev - yeah I was running in the five finger for a while, they were great for small stuff but found because I have long toes I would pick up blisters. Wonderful for walking though and I still use them every now and then. Biggest downside with the VFFs is they STINK!image

Some great running JR! Congrats on moving to mid foot! image Reading over your old posts will show you the difference in your own miles and injuries. 

The article is interesting but it seems to be focusing on speed and energy not injury. These studies always interest me because the results can always be picked at from both sides. Barefoot runners with weights on their feet?! They don't normally run like that so I don't really get why the experiment of phantom shoe weight is needed. Totally agree that everyone runs differently BUT I don't agree that shoes (for the majority) should be used as a "magic bullet".

Take this as an example...how many Olympic swimmers do you see still using arm bands? Foam noodles? Floats? None! They train and work on technique until they master the movement, why is running any different?

The fact that people CAN heel strike does not mean we SHOULD heel strike. With that said I personally don't think I have been running for long enough yet to be 100% sure of anything. I also try and keep myself open to change that's how I got into all of this in the first place! image

I can only go on my own evidence and so far its all pointing towards continuing with the path I'm on right now. 

I agree with the others when they say about not listening too much to some dude in a shoe shop. Physio is a good way to go if you feel you have a medical reason, apart from that I truly feel that its the hard way or no way! Train, practice, read and repeat.

Never give up questioning the evidence presented.

Did a 5k yesterday in the hot hot sun! Was a tough one but got it done.

2013 - 358.69

milo - 114.08

JR - Yeah im feeling pretty relaxed at the moment, little worried about the heat but hey there is not a lot I can do about it image Ive hardly done any training this time but 50 miles 2 months ago is just whats staying in my head

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

You know you can do it B2B. Just keep telling yourself that and you'll be posting a new pb in no time. I needed that knowledge this morning on a little 10 miler, it got tough but I knew I could do it.

You're right, the running article can be picked at (as they all can). Give it 6 months and someone will have another claim printed. I think in the end whether they're selling you cushioned shoes, stability shoes or barefoot shoes they all have one thing in common....they're business people and they want your money!

As far as my injuries go, i'm convinced the 8mm step my physio added to my right insole to balance my hips has had the best effect yet. Very rare I get back pain anymore, my hip flexor doesn't give me half the trouble it used to, neither does my knee. Nothings perfect but I am able to manage things much easier. We're all different and require different things I guess.

One thing surely everyone must agree on though, form is everything! Strong core and strong form equals great running.

• Just come back from a 2.76 mile dog walk in my flip flops.

What i did notice IS a was walking midfoot and NOT heel striking!!

How come when in trainers i heel strike??

Maybe i should take up running in flipflops Lol.