Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• One of tha chaps last night was so happy he'd broken 18 mins, but according to the results, he hadn't. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

you chuckled a bit didn't you Tim, admit it image

• Good results night again chaps. Hoping the greatness will rub off.

Similar thoughs with regards to timing on a timetrial. Start with frontwheel hub over line in road and counted down from 30, 20, 10, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 go. As wel as holding on to the handlebars I alsi have to start the garmin. And at the end, when I am trying to breathe through every available orifice, keep the bike upright, avaoid traffic and yet still 'kick' for the finish. And then press stop.

Then the results find some extra time somewhere, especially if you've upset them.

Aiming to go for a very easy run on Sunday. Weekend looking very busy.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Taking times at a relay sounds a complete ballache of a job.

Presumably they just have a running clock starting from the first leg starting, and just record the clock time of every individual, and then work out their individual time later?

The classic, one person writing times, and one person writing race number?

It must get congested though, as each runner must be looking for their next runner to tag or something?

is that how relays work, or is there some kind of baton?!?!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Touch of hands usually, though in the Round Norfolk Relay we carry a baton. It goes nearly 200 miles. 

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Reminds me of the dodgiest expression from footy days, when requesting your teammate to pass to you quickly

"touch me"

Always made me laugh that one.

• Stevie G . wrote (see)

Taking times at a relay sounds a complete ballache of a job.

Presumably they just have a running clock starting from the first leg starting, and just record the clock time of every individual, and then work out their individual time later?

The classic, one person writing times, and one person writing race number?

It must get congested though, as each runner must be looking for their next runner to tag or something?

is that how relays work, or is there some kind of baton?!?!

RicF wrote (see)

Touch of hands usually, though in the Round Norfolk Relay we carry a baton. It goes nearly 200 miles. 

Last 2 years I've done the LLLR 6 hr relay as a team of 4. Everyone has a individual chip which does the timing. The baton was a snap band that we whacked on the next persons arm.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

No one around today?

Getting set for tomorrows race. Its going to be rather warm at 11:00am. 

Preparation for heat wave running: Fully hydrated from the day before, drink at least 100ml on the start line for each mile to be raced. Sun block, everywhere exposed, it helps keep you cool, top of the head included. Water soaked sponge and sun glasses.

🙂

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Marathon or 10k Ric ?image have a good one. Hopefully you've not been out for some big mileage this morning. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Well, me and Phil were over at the Runnymede relays at Windsor today.

Wasn't entirely sure how it'd pan out, bearing in mind this last month I've basically done 2miles at 6min miling, and nothing quicker.

It felt blimming hot too, and suddenly I must admit I was wondering whether a 5 1/4 ish mile lap offroad with a niggle was a genius idea.

However, however, I knew it'd be a cracking team day out, so off to Windsor it was.

Had a vague direction. "Sheet street, and turn right". First problem, you couldn't get to sheet street as some damn parade meant the police roped the road off. image

So had a little pissabout round the area, before ending up exactly in the same spot 10mins later, but luckily they were now re-opening it...so off we went, left into Sheet Street., looking for this right hand turn. Instead, I went past Windsor Castle and was going the wrong way...

30mins later, after ringing loads of people, and making all sorts of stressy wrong moves, I ended up in the right place. At 12.08, first leg starting at 12....image

Luckily, it was delayed a bit, and being 3rd leg it wasn't a panic.

So....getting there had been harder work than needed be..what about the running?

So, watched the first leg start, and it all looked very furious...so pottered off for a little jog.

2 clubs were leading, and we were 3rd come the end, with Datchet in 4th. This is pretty much how it remained until I started my leg.

I watched a Watford chap pick the baton up about 5secs before me and monster into the distance, and basically sat about 100-150metres behind for the whole 5.35miles! He flattered me by turning to look around every 1/2mile, but I was never catching him!

I'd started furiously with a 5.46 and 5.42 first 2miles, which offroad, with trail/gravel and some ups was probably a bit strong.

The killer came when there was about 1.5miles left. You can bloody see the finish, but have to go the long way round, come back on  yourself and try and ramage in with about 1k in a straight line.

Watford were going into the lead, but the guy in 2nd while still ahead, was faltering hugely, as he'd had a massive lead to start the leg off.

I could feel a Datchet chap just behind, and I recognised him as being a guy i'd raced one, and beaten by some ridiculous margin like 2seconds. But I knew i'd been on hold for a month, while he'd been smashing it.

Therefore, I was never going to hold him off the last mile, so settled for bringing the team home 4th, probably about 50-100metres off the front 3...

We quickly moved to 2nd over the 4th leg, but the real decisive one was leg 5. Watford and the other club had clearly used their big men up already, so it was us v Datchet. On paper, we'd have the slight edge, but Graham has been nursing an injury himself, whereas Rob has been smashing it. Therefore, Rob was able to extend his lead if anything.

This was clear in the final splits. I came through with Sandhurst's fastest long leg time, 1min 15 or so in front of Graham, and if fully fit, that'd be the other way round. In fact Graham's gone under 30 here before.

I noticed the Datchet fella who caught me up did a 30.43, to my 31.32, so a decent margin indeed. Even Rob, Datchet's top man out did 30.40...

Therefore, not to spoil Phil's tale, we came 2nd overall, and I was chuffed to pick up a nice little plate trophy to mark the day.

Didn't feel the ache, and a trophy. Pretty good day. Will probably try and go back on the full schedule now...

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps, oh it's been a while since a massive SG race report image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

as no one else seems to be about, let's get a quick pic up

/members/images/104999/Gallery/Runnymede_Relays_2nd_place_2013.jpg

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Well done SG, really good result (nice FB photos too!).

Risborough 10k tomorrow. Just hoping to get some sleep as the neighbours are having a party in the garden a few doors down and it seems to be getting VERY livelyimage

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

bad luck Bus, hope it goes well. I remember some neighbour had a similar style party 2 nights before the Wycombe half once...and they say 2nights before is often more key than the night before!

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Nice race and journey report SG. Pleasing to see you've also bought some new Adios at last too!

Interesting Open Meet today - until 30 mins before start time, it was only me and one other for the 5000m! Thankfully a few others turned up and i overheard times of 16.30 being thrown around which was favourable - a competitive race was what I was after to get a decent PB.    

Not a cloud in the sky and it was hot, 24 deg. bought myself a white cap in prep and ducked into the loos right before the start and gave it a good soaking which ended up working a treat!  

Within 1000m I found myself out front and on my own image I was hoping to hit 78s per lap if it was competitive but at 1000m, settled into 80s per lap and focused on working hard and keeping the 400 splits consistent in the conditions.   I finished in 16.48 and won by a good 200 metres.

Slightly disappointed with the time but if there's any positives, it's that I ran a good race in the heat and without any competition - basically a solo time trial. Here's hoping next week's 10k is more of a race.  

Good luck tomorrow Ric & Bus in your races. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Tidy if you're doing 16.48 like that. But that Dulwich shows on the right day you've got a big one inside you (so to speak)

Maybe when I finally find a LFOTM 5k I can do, you might be able to make it too...with perhaps some others on the thread...making it a nice little meet up as well as a presumably good crack at a time...

right...for now it's sleep time. 12miler at 7am tomorrow

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps great to win either way! forgot to say that key detail! imageimage

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

bad luck Bus, hope it goes well. I remember some neighbour had a similar style party 2 nights before the Wycombe half once...and they say 2nights before is often more key than the night before!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

(why did that re-post!)

• OK, so let me do it back to front, here is the photo first:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-7lpjwYAZRvE/UdiPOXGd9cI/AAAAAAAAAMI/vgpA0R2twFo/s960/1000137_10151560942797449_395970187_n.jpg

You will notice that the size compared to SG's.

So, odd day due to bits and bobs. Daugher #2 turned 19 today so summoned everyone home to mark the occasion but then we had to disperse. Started out by taking #1 to the station so she could run in the UK women's athletics league match at Exeter and then into London to drop 3 bikes off at a charity sale (seems my kids are no longer kids so needed 3 new adult bikes and need the space in the garage to store the new ones). Finished this at 10 and race started at 12 in Windsor which should be easy if it wasn't for 30 minutes delay due to the Legoland queue back to the M4 (who thinks, "today is going to be sunny, nobody else will want to go to an amusement park and the queues will be short"). Got there at 11 so plenty of time.

Start was delayed till 12:15 to offset the queues and about 50 teams or so set off. The race is a 6 leg relay: 3 long legs of 5.25 miles and 3 short legs of 2.75 miles and only 3 seniors per team so normal tactic is vets short, senior long.

First leg was dominated by this guy, took a short route and cut a few corners. Good but not great. Watford were home second followed by Sandhust (SG's club) and then Datchet (my club) in 4th.

Second leg was a bit odd, army guy (actually running for Milocarian AC, never heard of that one before, http://www.milocarianac.info, seems to be some sort of umbrella organisation for the services) passed over to a senior lady, Watford a junior. Wool who lurks and posts occasionally ran for us. A few teams advanced well and at the end those first two were still top two and we were down to 7th but holding gaps.

SG has covered leg 3 pretty well, the three clubs who moved up in leg 2 disappeared and it was 4 teams. I watched part way round and it seemed that first  and second settled down to race each other. About a mile out they were shoulder to shoulder, then SG and us 4th, by the end we were 2nd.

Have to giggle a bit with the comical baton pass when SG dropped it, what did he say a few posts back about such things?

Leg 4 and Watford were in the lead and set off like a train, that soon became a steam train and puffed and panted and our runner passed him and glided round to bring us home in first, Sandhurst moving up to 2nd and the others out of the frame by a long way.

Leg 5 was Rob versus Graham and in form we would expect loose a minute or so but you could see Rob coming home and no Sandhurst in sight so things looked good.

I was passed the baton and told to run it sensibly so I never hit the stops and followed 6 minute mile pace up the hill and nicely onto half way. At this point the long leg does and extra loop and comes back and a young, fastish runner on the 5th leg rejoined just ahead of me so I tucked in behind him and we pushed each other round the last mile or so.

Team win, nice trophy, time was 16:12 and I reckoned 16 dead would be a good time so given I was never pushing hard and underfoot was hard and rough I was quite happy.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I watched a Watford chap pick the baton up about 5secs before me

It appears that SG pretended it was someone else who dropped the baton Phil.

Reminds of a guy in my club who turned up at a communal meeting place of the time (another runners house) and attempted to straighten a picture on the wall. The picture promtly fell down and in his efforts to save it, he tripped over some item of funiture, knocked over a free standing book shelf and rounded off the deal by grabbing the curtains on the way down, tearing them from the rail.

He was known as Captain Hamfist (Hamfist for short) for ever after.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Good report Phil, and a nice bigger shield!

It worked out better than you'd dreamed it, you getting the baton on the glory leg with a nice big lead, meaning you didn't have that horrible stressy feeling of knowing someone was hunting you! I was so in awe of you, you got not just 1 but 2 handshakes out of me!

And you got 5 of your 6 to the prize presentation, where as we got 4! I find it quite bizarre people don't stay for their trophies, especially when it's obvious you're getting one...unless you're a superstar runner it can't be that often you get trophies, so the least you have to do is stay around for it! (Hi Wool image)

As for that baton incident, certainly the second worst of the 275-300 of the day image

The only one worse was some chap finishing, and looking bemused with his teammate nowhere to be seen!

Interesting to read Phil's extra take on the day. Did seem bizarre how the top 2 teams fell away, especially after their first legs. But then it never pays to presume that all the 6 in a team will be equal standard.

Off for a leisurely 12miler now.

Good luck to all racing, definitely Bus at Princes Risboro, unsure if anyone else is giving it some out there. 

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Cheers Sg, cheers Johnas - just dug out my whaite cap and may try the water thing! Very well done on the race win too.

Party peetered out before 12,so not disasterous.

Philip - top relaying! Sounds like a grand day out anddoesn't get better than 1st!

Good luck today Ric (you are racing aren't you,I'm not just imagining it?)

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Told myself i'd take the 12 easy, but it came out at 6.56 average.  Definitely the hottest morning run of the year. Probably will need a water next time if it's like this!

Certainly makes me realise it'd be madness to even contemplate the Wycombe half in 2 weeks.. later start so hotter, and further distance. Not to mention much faster pace per mile! image

Bus, take it easy out there. It's so hot might be one of those get round and enjoy jobs.

• bus, Risborough is Bucks 10k champs so i hope you remember to have ticked the box, always the chance of a county medal if the stars align correctly. I also seem to have missed your birthday so happy belated 45th.

ric, have a good one at Ealing (5 miles, Metropolitan series). I saved your posting a long while ago and have it on my TODO list but it looks like little to no chance of comign off the list.

SG, Runnymede Relays have a tough balancing act to carry out between the social and running side. It is a relay in the marvellous settings of Windsor Great Park on a Saturday in July. People bring families and friends and picnics. There is also a race going on with a wide range of abilities and as we finished out 6 legs (24 miles in 2:2x) there were a few teams who had just set off their 4th runner (so they had done a little over 13 miles).

It would be easy for them to award the prizes within a few minutes of the third team crossing the line but then the majority of the teams were still out racing. I have also seen relays where they set off all the remaining runners for all the slow teams but again they seemed to not do this so each team actually completed as a relay and not a summed time trial.

As for dream scenario, the big lead was my #2 option. Favourite day dream was to be given the baton in second place down by a 10 to 20 seconds, make up the time over the first part of the course and then overtake and pull away in the second. Nightmare was the reverse, slender lead and get chased down by a faster runner.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I think the right balance was struck. It was sometime not much beyond 3.45 when the prizes were given out, so that allowed a good 3hours 30+

Must be quite demotivating being in the later finishing teams, when all the hullabaloo has eased off and there's a tiny amount of runners still out.

Hope Bus and Ric had good run outs.

Did you stay hydrated Ric? image One question I've forgotten to ask you though, is if you're constantly having to stop for pee breaks on training runs (presuming you have no condition of any type), surely you're simply over-hydrating?

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Thanks Philip.

Just back - hot, hot hot and slow, slow slow!!! The "undulations" at Risborough are always a bit testing, but in unbroken baking sun today they were even more so, so realistically even a course pb wasn't going to be on the cards.

IHeat aside, it was a fairly uneventful race, with little in the way of a story to tell other than a very annoying Heathside runner, who was obviously  normally very quick, but was injured today. He kept running fast then pulling up, often just where he was with seemingly no regard those just behind him, walking for a bit (even going the wrong way a couple of times trying to decide whether to give up!) before accelrating past, then cutting up runners in front!!  To make matters worse, the bugger still beat me! 

Lost a fair bit of time in the last 1k, as a course pb was out of reach, there was no one pressing me and I wouldn't have caught the heathside guy, but finished 45 secs slower than last year in 37:30.  On the plus side, I looked at the prize list and Risborough actually has a V45 trophy/medal, so I stayed to pick that up (despite a V50 and V55 in front!!)

Didn't wear the hat in the end - warmed up with it on, but couldn't quite make my mind up and went for the old "don't do anything in  a race you haven't tried before" rule! Will test it on some tempos before Wycombe!

Nice chat with some local faces, including Cooray (1 min slower than last year) afterwards in the sun, so a pleasant morning out. No county medal - Cooray 1st, Charlie May 2nd, and Eddie 3rd, (1,2 and 4 in the race) so I was way off!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Another medal to both add to yours and the thread's stack!

Sounds a miserable day for racing, though glorious for sitting about!

Should have given Heathy the old Achilles stamp if he kept stopping in front.

Another medal for the OG man. He posted on fb his haul the other day.

After yesterday, I put together a fb album of most of mine over the years. Will have to put the Marlow 15shields on there to pad it out!

It's annoying some have been vouchers, boxes of jam (!) bandanas, or so bootleg a race that even 2nd place doesn't get anything!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

It was tempting, but he was bigger than me image

Kayaking on the Thames this afternoon - much more suitable in this weatherimage

Boxes of jam??!!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

yep, the infamous Chiltern Chase 5k win!  Got a whole hamper full of jam for some reason.

I seem to recall also getting some kind of momento, but i'm unsure if it was just something everyone got, or was actually a prize....will check it later...probably the latter thinking about it.

That's going in the album!

Best "just for finishing" trophy/momento I've got is from last year's Victory 5. A golden boot!