Sub 3h15

Comments

• 200 miles forme today. Sadly inside an air conditioned cocoon of a car. Did I ever mention that I hate air-con? This is the first time this year that I've used it. I'd rather open a sun roof, but they are history. Windows usually suffice.

Training? ah well. no.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo wrote (see)

MsE - forgot to respond to the great news that you're returning to these shores. ANy firm time frame?

Not clear when or, indeed, if it will happen.  So I am trying not to think about it or get too excited about coming home.  Concentrating on getting as much ticked off here as we can for now.  And there is plenty to do. I will let you know if there is any news! image

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Good luck to SJ, Lorenzo, Speedy and Jools this weekend and anyone else racing I've missed.
    16 slow miles d&d this morning to round off another week's base training - 54 miles in total this week image

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

I'm with you in the anti-air con club Blisters.

Good luck to your son at the PR today Lorenzo

Bike it, I ran a lumpy off road 10k last Sunday (3rd = bottle of Biddenden Cider image ) but as I was slower than last year for 'punishment' I ran the 10m home in midday heat. Later went out for a 5m gentle family bike ride. The next my legs were fine, but my arse was saddle sore! If you've not ridden the bike a while your engline might be strong but the delivery system might be rusty.

Sounds like you are taking a very long term view AR. I find I can run big mileage without issue, but a bit of speed work certainly reveals all weaknesses.

10k pb for me last night. Surprised to knock 11 sec off (Garmin time) to get 37.08 6th place. I think it was all down to conservative and sensible pacing. 

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Well done, Keir.

12M for me last night and 17M this morning (probably not the best prep for a 3k tomorrow, but it's how the week has panned out).  Now extremely hot and dehydrated, so an easy afternoon chugging down fruit juice and water beckons!

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Top racing to Keir for entering  the sub 6 min/mile 10k race world. image

Hot long runs from Jools and Gul (maybe not hot at that time for Gul)

Did a bit of short stride high cadence shuffling yesterday - slow, but nice to be outdoors, and no problems with hamstring going into spasm this way even if I looked odd.

• 58 miles bike ride (are we allowed to talk about them?) Arse gets sore even if you ride regularly.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Well done Keir! Tantalisingly close to a 36:xx. 

Hope your arse is soothed by now Blisters...

• Nice run there Keir, sub 6 pace for 10k is another classic running hurdle and well cleared.

Nice run today, 6 leg relay with 3 seniors running long legs (just over 5 miles) and 3 vets running short legs (comfortably under 3 miles). I was running last leg and was passed the baton in first place with the second team 2.5 minutes back and the clear instruction to take it sensibly so that is what I did, never hit the stops and average just inside 6 minute pace to come home with most of the lead intact and a nice winners engraved plate thing.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Nice team prize there PMJ- very sensibly ran. And great running Kier, that's 10k time I'd dream of at the moment.

Hot parkrun produced 18:42 today and 3rd place in a big field. Last LSR tomorrow before the Coastal run next Sunday- one of my favourites.

Good luck to anyone racing tomorrow- should be a hot one image

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Well done on another piece of race bling PMJ!

I'm up at Gul o'clock cramming my face full of carby breakfast products. 

Race start at 6......! Excited image 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I had a lay in until six...image

13 miler planned then a long day of watching sport- tennis and F1, not hopeful that Brits will win in either

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Good luck to Slokey, I suppose he's on the bike now. It's gonna be a hot one.

Excellent 10k running keir, that is a great time.

20 miles for me this morning, thought I'd start getting serious for Abo. Plus 61 miles on the bike yesterday so a decent weekends work.
  • KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Nice running PMJ

good luck SJ. Drinking and furling will be key today. Lots of ice down pants!

Forget tennis and F1 OO and watch the cycling for some UK success. 

I also did 20m for Abo today Moof. 7.25m/m vase for flat steady run. Hot without a drink. Makes 71m for the week. There is something very satisfying averaging over 10m per day. 

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    8.30 m/m pace for me which was fast enough on a hot morning, I was sensible and took a drink for a change.

This gives me 57 for the week but that does include 2 long runs, I also managed 130 miles on the bike.

Looking forward to the Newbury sportive next weekend then I'll start getting some serious running miles in.
  • SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Quick check in - 11:28:50 and 127th / 1000ish (not sure if that's just in the fellas though so may get relegated) happy happy happy. image

baking hot image and a cramp fest on the run. 

full report later in the week!!!

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Awesome!

That's brilliant SJ. Really looking forward to a report when you recover. Well done!

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Well done Slokey, brilliant effort, especially in this weather. It would have been better to have the swim last (apart from the drowning factor)

Enjoy your ice cold recovery drink.
  • No internet access to speak of, so just checking to report on the hottest HM I can remember doing, and it was here in Southport. It was scorching and there was absolutely no shade whatsoever...anyway so 1:33 and glad just to have finished tbh. Got to 10k in 42 mins and then the legs gave out!

Next week it's Lytham, if I can get there! Mennania and Frazer, where are you coming from next Sunday?

• TRTR ✭✭✭

well done SJ, a nicely executed campaign and race

Keir - nice miles, i did 124 in the whole of June. Although I did a couple of 18s and a couple of little picture races.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Well done, SJ.  Not a day for racing: 8M including 3K at Stoke-on-Trent for me.  Paid for the heat and ground out 11.06, despite hoping I was in sub-11 shape, but pleased I managed a reasonable pace on tired legs.

• After 6 hours squished into a mini-bus yesterday for the journey up to Glasgow my legs didn't feel like they belonged to me today. While it was no doubt cooler up in Bonny Scotland than elsewhere it was still around 26 - 28 degrees, which was frankly a shock to the system. Plus I wore my spikes for the first time in a race longer than 1500. That's the list of excuses over with! 10.59 (ie 6 seconds slower than my PB), but I did win the B string race. I managed to escape having to run the 4 x 400m. Thankfully the next meet is here. Well, sort of. Our track is too crap so we have to go to Derby to host it.

• Well done to Jools, Speedy, Ant and especially Slokey. Looking forward to the report SJ

A scorcher down in Surrey as well today for the Cranleigh 10K. Was hoping to get close to 40 and hit halfway in 20, but the heat took its toll and I ended up with 41:32 but that was still good enough for 10th place as others seemed to struggle even more than me.

Stiil, elder Lorenzito PB'ed in the 10K and younger Lorenzito came 2nd in the 3K race in 11:55 winning a £10 gift card in the process which takes him ahead of me in career prize earnings by, er, £10.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Top effort all round as I hear it is scorchio out there. Especially well done on the IM, SJ.  Tempted to get one of those tattoos on yer leg now? image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Well done SJ.  That's fantastic! I bet it was hot too.  image

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Keir - fantastic 10k - congrats on the PB.
    Jools - impressive miles and good effort on a scorching hot day.
    AR - good shuffling.
    Blisters - yes, no problem with bike miles, in fact I'm started to feel like the odd one out.
    PMJ - good racing - congrats on the win.
    OO - solid parkrun on a very hot day.
    Moof - good weekend's work.
    SJ - that's a cracking time and placing - you should be very proud. Look forward to the gory details.
    Ant - yesterday must have been a terrible day for a HM - well done on finishing.
    Speedy - very impressive result - kind of disappointed you didn't get to run the 4x400m.
    Lorenzo - well done on the top 10 finish. And congrats to the rest of the family too.
    Minni - nice early startimage
    Very impressive racing everyone.
    6 easy mile inc. 8x100m strides d&d. I've decided to stick at 54 miles for the last 2 weeks of my base training, before the final 12 weeks of my HM training.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Massive blister on my foot and due to run a 5 mile race tomorrow- any suggestion?

Is that 54 in 2 weeks Gul or each week? 

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

OO - is it a good idea to burst it and stick a plaster over the top? Sorry, no idea, I'm afraid. And sorry for the lack of clarity - it's 54 miles each week.

BTW - is anyone else signing up for the Magic Mile this year?

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Well done to every who raced over the weekend. The conditions were extreme and not the kind of heat we are all used to for racing in.

OO - I would use compeed blister plasters they work for me.

We have all bemoaned our lack of summer so far and it seems we either have rubbish weather or extreme heat which has an adverse impact on most of our times in races, even more so the longer the distance. I am now worried my assault on a sub 40 10k will end in disaster as I really suffer in the heat. It's on Thursday and looks like it will be 25c!!

10k runs for me Sat and Sun followed by a quick dip in the sea immediately afterwards. Sea temp is only 14.5c should be more like 16c!

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Nice result SJ - the conditions must have made it super hard.  Is there a next IM yet?

Nice surprise PB there Keir.  

It must have been tough racing this weekend.

The only thing I've heard for blisters OO is from Dean Karnazes who cut them open and stick together with superglue - it's just something I read in a book and isn't a recommendation

I had to return the only running trophy I've won this weekend for my local village race and sadly I could not defend it.

'Total abs' today and I must be getting stronger as the point at which I thought I might pass out has moved to 25 minutes from the start.  The PT who leads it commented on my lack of rotational strengthg and that I needed to strengthen up my rounded shoulders. So I've been siting bolt upright since I got back to the office.