Sub 3h15

Comments

• Blisters?
    My approach: Pop it. With a big enough hole so that it can't refill with fluid. (No superglue then). Splosh with surgical spirit. This makes the eyes water, but just man up. Standard elastoplast for padding. Repeat the next day. Once the raw skin is hard you're back to full speed. 
    Some people swear by compeed plasters, but I found that they were like snails and just wandered off.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Gul, every time I sign up for the magic mile I end up on the brink of injury before an attempt so I'll leave it until the last minute!

MsE, no corporate tattoos here thank you very muchimage 

Minni, yes it was baking - around 26deg in the shade and the run course was in full sun with zero breeze so felt like an oven at times.

BikeIt, I quite fancy the look of IM Austria but to be honest, I'll probably do Outlaw again. Really couldn't fault the race at all. The precision of the Berlin Marathon but with a great sense of humour and the happiest marshals you could ever come across! 

• FrazerelliFrazerelli ✭✭✭

SJ. Brilliant stuff Sir. Will be very interested in a detailed report. Presumably an awful lot of self talk and internal min games occurs during that long cycle ride. The bar is now set for you! Well done indeed

Nice to knock off a midweek PB Keir. You slipped it in but presumably uh ou had an inkling you were running well in training?

Ant. I've booked a BandB in Lytham on Sat night. Logistics wouldn't work out for travelling on Sunday So I'm afraid I won't be available for any lifts etc. I think I've seen your mug shot (including bath tub soap'n'suds action) enough times I should be able to recognise you t the start. Any distinguishing features mennania or shall we gather around Ant as our beacon?

nice racing fromSpeedy in the Scottish heat wave - sounds like hard work!

• Every time I go to Scotland I take a heatwave with me Frazerelli!

SJ - can we have a full report please? How minging was Pierrepont lake in the heat? I bet the goose poo stank to high heaven!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

image thanks Blisters

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Take a bow that supreme, versatile, unstoppable endurance monster SJ. Cracking performance, and good racing by others too.

The superglue thing ain't as bad as the toenail removal some people have allegedly done.  Gaffer tape and Sellotape have their uses in foot emergencies too.

Minni I think the coastal number has winged its way, thanks for the contact.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

GM - hope it's not too hot on Thursday - it's bad enough at 5 o'clock in the morning.
    11 super slow miles d&d.

• I had hoped to post before Gul but my iPhone won;t let me pst so had to wait until now. 7 doen and dusted in far flung Russia at 6:30 local time, 3:30 UK time.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

The thought of pulling off toe nails or bursting blisters literally makes me drool, even at this time of the morning.

It was beautiful here at 5am too Gul. 6.5 off road for me and if I could upload photos from my phone to here I'd share the sunrise with you. 

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

If its a competition theN check out the sub 3:30 thread - I posted on there at 3:30 am! image

• Just seeing  if Minni balances on my head

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Try again PMJ....

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Legs it is thenimage

• I'm thinking I'm probably going to sack the Lytham HM. There's no public transport that early on Sunday, and the cheapest car hire would be 60 quid, plus petrol...It comes to a point when even though I've paid 17 quid to enter, it's just not worth it.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Ant - that seems the sensible thing to do to me. Enjoy your holiday/work trip in the sunshine!

5k lunchrun for me today, first 2.5k slow in 12:37 then 2nd 2.5k 10:57, just to turn the legs over in the sunshine, legs felt good. Hosed myself off on the beach afterwards and then sadly back into the office to shower and into the suit again.image

Gul - Cheers and I do hope so too. Great training as per usual from yourself!

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Fantastic result SJ. Looking forward to the gruesome details in your report.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I pulled out of the 5 miler in Newcastle tonight. The foot is still swollen and I need it fully recovered for the Coastal run on Sunday. Having to console myself with cold beer  

• Sorry to hear that OO. I was told I wasn't allowed to train on the track tonight because I have a hurty heel. I refuse to believe it is an injury. It is a niggle and it WILL go away. X-training tomorrow because I like it and who wants to run in the sunshine anyway? It's all hot and sweaty. No, the gym is clearly the preferable option. 

If I say it often enough I may believe it.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Surely gym image is never a preferable option

• AVO, isn't there a thread? I've managed to cadge a lift off total strangers (potential axe murderers?) but it's been fine. Even try Fetch Everyone. ( I fear being cazzed here).

I'm rather off campus myself at present, but the thought remains.

• Safari lets me post so 7.5 miles done in the back of beyond at Gul o'clock. This place is seriously off track. Used to be a monastery but was converted to the Soviet nuclear bomb factory during the Cold War. 

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

PMJ - so what is the ex-monastery/nuclear bomb factory now and whereabouts is the beyond it's at the back of?
    Ant - that's a shame. How is Southport?
    GM - good luck tonight.
    OO - sensible decision. Hope all is well for the weekend.
    Speedy - definitely a niggle.
    Poacher - agree with you on that one.
    4 mile recovery run d&d.

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Are you at another place which doesn't exist on google maps PMJ?

• Gul Darr wrote (see)

PMJ - so what is the ex-monastery/nuclear bomb factory now and whereabouts is the beyond it's at the back of?

So I suppose the correct phrase is "it used to solely be a monastery" so there still is a monastery there. The bomb factory has supposedly closed down since the cold war stopped but there still is a huge nuclear research facility and the whole thing is within a closed city. I am outside it so cannot get in to say if there are active or not, nor, I suspect, can anyone else.

Where it is beyond the back of I am not sure, we drove here from Moscow and it took about 9 hours driving down minor roads with no signposts or any other indication if where were were. We could have driven round in circles as afar as I know, will only know for sure once I upload my GPS tracks.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I skipped the race Speedy but went out later (when it was cooler) for a 5 miler on the beach. Annoyingly my foot felt fine.

Take care PMJ!

• Blisters - Yes, thanks, I have checked all sorts of things and there's nothing. My last hope is the local running club, but I spoke to a couple of their members on Sunday and they knew of no-one who was going.

Gerard/Gul - Southport is great, thanks. We,ve been to Manchester (Museum of Football, Museum of Science & Industry, Hard Rock Café and Old Trafford) and the beach at Formby, done mini-golf and bowling and had two discos. Running is fanatstic around here and I go out most mornings about 6-6.30. The weather is absolutely sensational. Off to Liverpool this afternoon (Museum of Liverpool, Mathew Street, Albert Dock and Liverpool One) and Alton Towers on Saturday (gulp).

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Been absent but just had a nice long readback -

Keir - Top 10k running and SJs performance most notworthy.

Hope things are sorted out AR. Anything faster than half training breaks me. Two years on the run I have had issues and significant layoffs due to an increase in speedwork.

Ant - I am stopping in Lytham on Sat night, will ask around here to see if I know of anyone? Where you looking to travel from? EFC Col may be able to help. Sounds like you have a pretty full itinerary going on

Frazer - you settled on a race strategy yet? I was doing ok with a couple of 13s under my belt with a handful at MP and thinking of a competitive run but have had to layoff since sat due to ongoing abs issues. Will venture out late tonight and then set my stall out from there. Latest forecast is 16 with cloud and a see breeze.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Ant  - sounds like a fab trip and what a bonus with the weather. When do you leave the UK?

Gul - Thanks although the race is tomorrow night. Wind has really picked up now and forecast 20mph which will be a strong headwind for 2nd 5k unless it changes direction. Well least it will cool me down a bit. Can't believe it's been 14 months since my last 10k race!

PMJ - What's the temperature out there at the mo?

OO - Was it a fairly big race the 5 miler? Sometimes you just have to sit these out.

• Gerard, temperature here is not too hot, about 26 degrees, but it slowly builds up to 100% humidity and then it all kicks off and there is thunder and lightning and a downpour and it all cools off and calms down and then goes through the same cycle again. This morning was really nice run, rain had cooled the air down nicely and sun was just coming up.