Djokovic to win

2»

Comments

• Screamapillar wrote (see)

Well said RW - you need to get over to the Guardian website, there are some really miserable feckers over there that are determined to harsh the mellow.

There's a surprise!

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭
    Screamapillar wrote (see)

Well said RW - you need to get over to the Guardian website, there are some really miserable feckers over there that are determined to harsh the mellow.

I've not been on the Guardian... but if they're slating Cameron for suggesting a knighthood, I agree with them.

One day, he'll probably be a good candidate. But I really disagree with people like Murray and Chris Hoy and Bradly Wiggins being knighted.

They need to do years of putting something back to society... charitable work or work with youngsters in their fields.  Because, for all that they are great role-models, they have largely only been putting the effort in for 'selfish' reasons up to now. 

Honour them? Yes.  But OBE is enough at this stage.

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Andy Murray already has an OBE though so what next?

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

another major?

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    Run Wales wrote (see)
    Screamapillar wrote (see)

I've not been on the Guardian... but if they're slating Cameron for suggesting a knighthood, I agree with them.

One day, he'll probably be a good candidate. But I really disagree with people like Murray and Chris Hoy and Bradly Wiggins being knighted.

They need to do years of putting something back to society... charitable work or work with youngsters in their fields.  Because, for all that they are great role-models, they have largely only been putting the effort in for 'selfish' reasons up to now. 

Honour them? Yes.  But OBE is enough at this stage.

i disagree with it as well but the precedent has been set with a few examples you could argue are less deserving so it would look like a huge snub to Murray if he is not knighted.

• Murray is so ungraciuos when he loses..........now he has learnt how to win he should learn from many of the others  to learn how to lose .........without that he should never be knighted.

I didnt realise its been 77 years since 1977...........my maths skills must be crap

• seren nos - that is the single saddest post I have seen in 8 years on this site.

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭

apart from the fact I don't think he is particularly ungracious in defeat I don't get the gracious loser = knighthood equation.

SAF got one.

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

77 years since Fred Perry won.  1977 was Virginia Wade winning.

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    Maxpower North West wrote (see)

seren nos - that is the single saddest post I have seen in 8 years on this site.

I agree with that.

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    oirisheyes wrote (see)

Laura robson enters the world's top 30 and announces she intends "to get fit". Tells you everything

it tells you that you don't need to be fit to get into the Top 30 in women's tennis.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

isn't it just "AF" got one?
    There have also been female (british) winners of the ladies tour de france, although thats now defunct. Also won the (ladies) Giro. But its what gets the attention I suppose.
    Did you see Swanny joking that if we whitewash the Aussies they'll be clambering for knighthoods too...(he was joking...I think)

• Cinders wrote (see)

Who's SAF?

SAF is Sir Alex Ferguson - who is, indeed, the most ungracious loser on the planet. Personally I can't stand the man but you can't deny his achievements.

But yes, the honours system now seems to be for popularity rather than lifetime achievement. By those rules, if Adele deserves an MBE then Andy Murray deserves a knighthood. 

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Thanks Screamapillar image

Lå®Ð䮧€ wrote (see)

What the hell is 

Djokovic?

Who rather than what?

• Fred Perry was still the last English man to win. And let's face it, Virginia is South Africanimage

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

She was born in Bournemouth apparently!

• Cinders wrote (see)

She was born in Bournemouth apparently!

Cliff Richard was born in India; doesn't make him Indian!

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

What does actually define someone's nationality, parents, place of birth/residence?  

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    Cinders wrote (see)

What does actually define someone's nationality, parents, place of birth/residence?  

nationality of parents and the place where you are brought up in my opinion.

place of birth could simply be where your mum happened to be at the time and you might not even spend a week in that country.

although nationality is becoming a very confusing concept in a lot of cases these days as the world becomes far more mobile. you can easily have children being brought up in a few different countries, none of which their parents belong to and the parents may both be of different nationalities themselves.

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭
  • skottyskotty ✭✭✭

An example.

Phil Bardsley (Sunderland footballer)

His grandmother popped north of the border for a few days. Went into labour in Glasgow and had a son Tony. They left hospital within a few days and headed back south to Manchester/Salford area to be with the rest of the family (all English)

Tony Bardsley is now described throughout the media as "Glasgow-born" (accurate enough maybe) and "Glaswegian" (stretching it a bit). The point is this accident of birth has made him "Scottish" enough to enable his son Phil to play football for Scotland.

• when most of the top players are beating they do not come up with excuses everytime.they usually say their opponents played better than them on the day........

Murray always comes up with an array of different excuses........I have never heard him give praise to an opponent......

so while I am pleased for him and british tennis that he haes won......I do not think he deserves a knighthood...........but them i don't think that the majority of people who have had knighthood deserve it.

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    seren nos wrote (see)

when most of the top players are beating they do not come up with excuses everytime.they usually say their opponents played better than them on the day........

Murray always comes up with an array of different excuses........I have never heard him give praise to an opponent......

so you prefer banal cliche ridden post match interviews to some honest answers?

• is it honest to always blame a sore this or that.....every tennis player out there will have sore parts during the match...............its the one sport apart from rugby that sems to knacker the most number of places on your body at the same time.........it is going to hurt for all of them...but no one else goes on and uses it as their excuse

• I've heard Murray praise his opponents. He isn't effusive about it (because he isn't about anything) but he will give credit where it's due.

After losing the final in 2012 he said:

"He's (Federer) not bad for a 30-year-old. He played a great tournament. I know he had some struggles with his back, but he showed what fight he had. He deserves it".

After losing in the semi final of the Australian Open (his last defeat as far as I'm aware) he said:

"After last year, the year that Novak's had, I think there's a very fine line between being No. 1 in the world and being 3 or 4,” said Murray. “I feel tonight that I closed that gap".

No excuses or sour grapes there from what I can see.

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

"He's not bad for a 30 year old"....not sure if that's praise or not lol image

• Cinders wrote (see)

"He's not bad for a 30 year old"....not sure if that's praise or not lol image

He was joking, I remember the interview image

• I genuinely don't think he is arrogant or makes a lot of excuses - he just seems naturally shy and quiet; very good at tennis but not at the publicity bit, which many people expect everyone to have these days.

People said the same of Gordon Brown, that he was miserable.  Why must brilliant tennis players or people who run the country also be gameshow-host style masters of the soundbite and witty riposte?

I for one, like his tennis and don't expect him to be outgoing or charismatic - he never claimed he was.