Sun protection for tri

Mrs. Paperman is doing the 3/4 tri at Swindon this weekend - half way between sprint and Olympic. Weather forecast is for a roasting hot day - anyone got any advice on what sort of suncream/sun protection is best for a tri? I would assume that most sun tan cream would just get washed off on the swim?

Comments

• lots ofseasoned pirates suggest P20 as it isn't easily washed off.........put on all over early in the day and then top up in transistions

It isn't cheap and some others have suggested a cheraper boots one

• Seren's right.  I put P20 on Sunday and spent the day on FS2 at Outlaw.  No burnt bits at all!  It did sting a little when the sweat was running into my eyes, but couldn't fault the stuff!

• I just use a factor 50 from somewhere like Boots/Superdrug that says it is for sport, i.e. water resistant.  Fairly cheap but can't remember price.  Used it for Outlaw and day before and all good, just topped up in T1/T2.  It was a fairly small tub, fitted into my palm, so I could put into the pocket on my tri top.

I burn very easily so prefer factor 50 to just make sure.

• It's also worth pointing out that (at last) P20 is available in factor 50 for those of us related to lobsters.  I used this as a base layer at Lanza this year and then topped that off post swim with some Soltan and then a further pre-run topup with some Ambre Solaire

• P20 ... who I think now do a higher factor as well

• I used my kids factor50 on Sunday for outlaw before the bike and put more on before the run and I didn't burn at all.

• P20 is excellent.  Very expensive but also found recently (yesterday) by other half in B&M for a tenner (200ml).  She bought Ipswich branch's stock for me.

• Prince Siegfried wrote (see)

I put P20 on Sunday and spent the day on FS2 at Outlaw.  No burnt bits at all!  

FF can not claim the same!! image

+ 1 for P20. I survived Lanza wearing it. As Meldy suggests, it now available is SPF 10, 20, 30 and 50.

• I had factor 50+ and now I have 2nd degree burns, so i'm off for a few weeks image

• I went out for the day on the bike last week on hols and used P20 factor 50 and toped up with a Boots waterproof factor 50 in a small bottle that fits nicely into my back pocket after about 4 hours and the sun didn't touch me, I usually turn neon pink after a whiff of sun so I was well pleased.

• PapermanPaperman ✭✭✭

Thanks to every one for their advice - P20 certainly seems to be the armour of choice. I'll look out for some. Cheers!

• Is it worth putting suncream on before your wet suit or does this all rub off leaving you exposed and your suit covered in gunk? I was thinking of stealing my kids waterproof once 50+ but only putting it on in transition, would save time if I can at least do the majority before the race starts.

• I imagine you'll have more luck it staying on f you can put it on in good time and let it all absorb in and dry (like you have to with P20), then top up again in T1.

Alternatively what they were doing at outlaw was slapping loads on in T1, presumably then any sun cream would do if the factor is high enough. Top up again in T2.

I just used an old pouch of something and some SAinsburys water resistant factor 30 for outlaw, appplied in T1 and T2 and avoided any burn at all image

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    Scuba Trooper wrote (see)

Is it worth putting suncream on before your wet suit or does this all rub off leaving you exposed and your suit covered in gunk? I was thinking of stealing my kids waterproof once 50+ but only putting it on in transition, would save time if I can at least do the majority before the race starts.

the beauty of P20 is that it's waterproof so won't wash off but always apply well before putting the wettie on so it absorbs into the skin.   some people put a coat of it before they go to bed and then top up with another when they wake up.  I've only ever applied it in the morning just once and never been burnt even in the hottest, sunniest IM events.

it might be expensive but it works

• PapermanPaperman ✭✭✭

Just to say thanks to all for the P20 recommendation - we went with that, and she completed a 1.1k/30k/7.5k tri in the sun on Sunday with no sunburn problems at all. Advice much appreciated.

• I got some P20 free at a tri on Saturday. Used it for a 6 hour bike yesterday and it worked like a dream. Excellent stuff.
  • I went out and bought a cheap factor 30 from tesco yesterday as I had forgot my P20, I did an 8 mile run yesterday arvo and most of it sweated into my eyes image

• AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

Another fan of P20 and went for factor 50 at outlaw and was fine, used factor 20 at the half and was fine apart from the bits I missed!

• i did an olympic on saturday on the hottest day of the year - no sun cream (as i forgot to pack any) however zero sunburn due to the fact that i was sweating like a fat kid in a sweetshop all the way through.

maybe i should bottle it and sell it image any offers?

• I cycled home from work yesterday without suncream as I too forgot it, but I was too fast for the sun to catch me image

• well that could be the other reason why i didnt get burnt on saturday seen as i was so rapid on the bike....

although that wouldnt explain why i didnt get burnt on the road!