Starting again from the beginning!

Comments

• Good luck B2B, sounds like an interesting run!

Well done on your fastest 6m Grendel!

Well I went for my run without the moulded insoles and my knees felt a lot better. My left knee only started hurting right at the end on the run (managed a quick 4miles), but to be honest I think that's because of it hurting on sundays long run with the insoles in, plus my stamina felt so good today that I managed to run up and down all the hills I came across non stop (normally have to walk at some point)!image Needless to say i'm going to take the insoles back at the weekend.

Swimming session tomorrow to hopefully strengthen my knee again and try to put right the damage done image

• WK2-R2 completed.

Took the advise given by b2b and used a more upright posture, slowed my pace and took shorter steps.

Felt much better, no pain in shins but noticed a bit in the knee and i could breath more easily instead of gaspingimage

Roll on fridays run

• Hello all,

well done on getting out everyone.  Nice one for finishing wk2 Kev, hope the knee sorts itself out Lisa.  Grendel, I love that you just buy whatever's on offer in the shoe department image, I wish I was relaxed enough to do that.  Now I'm just wearing my old New Balance shoes that I bought 8yrs ago.  Physio said, they're muddy but they're alright!

ran a hot 5.9 tonight in 1h, no pressure, just out to enjoy being out, it's tropical lovely here at the moment.

right, for the year so far.....

2013 158.34m

• Lisa E - did you buy the shoes and moulded insoles at the same time ? did the shop advise you to use the insoles with the shoes? if so they gave you wrong advice take them back and don't leave until you get your money back on the insoles.

Grendel - nice to see you posting again - you seem to be going really well. Dare you think of a time for your marathon ?

Kev - form is everything as B2B says, I try to keep good form with my feet "skimming" the ground and run upright no slouching - have to concentrate on form as tiredness creeps in but it works

Gammi - well done on getting out -  after being out in the heat Monday and Tuesday I gave tonight a miss !

Plans for week include 5 Thursday and Friday and 12 Saturday - hopefully if I can do that will have 32 for the week keeping me on target

Keep on keeping on all

• Grendel - Madness I tells ya! image Wow well done on the 6! Unfortunalty I have seen the forcast and of coarse its gonna be a scorcher! 28 degrees!!! image Might need that capri sun image

Well done Lisa progress!! image

Kev - well done! yeah you may find to start with that you may get little niggles here and there as its a new way to run. Take your time and try not to get carried away.........like....well......me! image

Well done Gammi! Its all go in here eh?!

330 - I havnt seen a 32 week for a while! It all feels a bit strange really!

Went out for a 5.5mile walk/run with "mummysaurus" tonight. Went really well and she is up to a 2 minute run now! Woohoo! She seems to be taking my training pretty seriously so I shall keep you guys updated of her progress too.

Not sure I can really add any of the miles to my own bank as we maybe only ran for 10 minutes all together....maybe I shall add one to the challenge....a pity mile if you will image

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

B2B - you are welcome to the capri sun, but I wouldn't think about drinking it - it has been refrozen so many times now I think primitive life may be forming in there.

Well done on another good run Lisa, certainly sounds as if the insoles could be the root cause of the problem - I have invariably got some little niggle which I attempt to run off. (not that I recommend that to anyone else, I will always recommend someone else rests an injury - the trouble is identifying what is an injury and what is a little niggle!!!

In that respect Kevin I think your knee pain may just be you trying to adjust the way you are running - I am sure someone with more knowledge on that subject will be able to confirm (or deny) that.

3;30,  marathon time  target? - only in my head not for public consumtion - but the target is to enjoy it as much as possible because in my past life I put myself under so much pressure I want to take the B2B relaxed attitude to it.

Gammi - I have been running for nearly 20 of the last 30 years now and I pretty much know what I can and can't do. I was once told by a physio that I pronated and needed orthotics which were going to cost me - I pointed out that I had run pretty much trouble free for 16 years at the time and the injury she was treating was directly caused by doing a hill session in a pair of trainers that were not sutiable for the session - I never went back.

Oh well 5 miles done this morning - tired after yesterday but enjoyed it - drifted along - was stopped by a local holiday maker - he was pushing his baby daughter along - he wanted to know how far I was running - he then explained that his daughter was teething and he was trying to get her off to sleep - ironic, as I think his daughter probably had more teeth than he did!!!. Happy Days.

• Just called sweatshop and told them about my knees hurting when running, they agreed to change my shoes for some neutral ones and refund me for the insols. 

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Hope that helps, Kevin. The Sweatshops are normally pretty good - they should be having been founded by Chris Brasher - They certainly know what runners need.

• Grendel - mmmm lifeformy! image Relaxed is best! image The more relaxed I am the better I run WIN!

• I have only been running properly for about 2 years but I have studied like a beast! image

• Grendel3 wrote (see)

Hope that helps, Kevin. sweatshops are normally pretty good - they should be having been founded by Chris Brasher - They certainly know what runners need.

They recommended the ones I have but getting painf knees cant be right footwear surly?

• Kev

If your knees hurt wearing support shoes AND moulded inserts I wouldnt just plumb for neutral shoes

I would get a gait analysis again. Wearing support shoes and moulded insoles has caused a problem you have established that. But doing away with both the insoles and support shoes may not be the answer as you will be going from "double" support to none at all

Maybe you do need support shoes but not the insoles as well (already mentioned moulded insoles should be worn with neutral shoes as the insoles provided the support)

Costly business shoes so get a gait analysis again see if you really do need neutral shoes

• Grendel3 wrote (see)

Hope that helps, Kevin. sweatshops are normally pretty good - they should be having been founded by Chris Brasher - They certainly know what runners need.

They recommended the ones I have but pain in the knees when running and contant aching and stiff when not cant be right footwear surly?

If I remember rightly I didnt have knee problems last year when running in my mizuno neutral onesimage

• 330 or bust wrote (see)

Kev

If your knees hurt wearing support shoes AND moulded inserts I wouldnt just plumb for neutral shoes

I would get a gait analysis again. Wearing support shoes and moulded insoles has caused a problem you have established that. But doing away with both the insoles and support shoes may not be the answer as you will be going from "double" support to none at all

Maybe you do need support shoes but not the insoles as well (already mentioned moulded insoles should be worn with neutral shoes as the insoles provided the support)

Costly business shoes so get a gait analysis again see if you really do need neutral shoes

This Is all very confusing, I thought going to the shops and talking to trained people was the best way forward. 

Why is nothing ever simple!

• Kev - Its confusing because everyone will have a very passionate opinion when it cames to running! The trouble with a lot of people trained in shops is that they are taught to sell shoes. Physio is maybe a better option as they look further. 

Footwear is and always will be a fiercely debated subject because we are all different. 

Grendel can pick up any old shoe and most of the time be fine due to his form.

JR on the other hand needs the orthotics to balance out the 8mm length difference.

Me? Flat sandal with no jazz image

If you have no idea what to buy, start simple. Zero drop with a wide toe box.

Work on form and take your time. Question everything. Even what we have to say here! If it hurts, why? The answer will normally come back to form. 

• O.k after advise from you lot, the wife, and giving it some thought, i have decided to take the moulded insoles out and replace with the originals.

After another week if no sighn of improvement i will take them back and swap them for some neutral ones, the girl in the shop says they will be happy to change them and even refund for the insoles if i dont want them.

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Give it a go Kevin and see what happens. 

• Got a refund for my moulded insoles. Sticking to the new trainers but with the normal flat original insoles. Swam tonight but only managed half my normal distance, think the knees need a few more days rest. Looks like i'll have to wait til Sunday for the next run image. *impatient* but I guess it will hopefully be better for me in the long run. Well done everyone else on your runs!!

• Kev

Think that's a sensible approach - use the support shoes without the moulded inserts just the original insoles

If you get no pain then, that good. However, if the pain is still there then could be you need neutral shoes.

But as B2B says shoes shops are there to sell shoes. A physio or an independent gait analysis maybe a good bet - normally lots of ads in the back of RW for good places

A sports podiatrist maybe another consideration and they may recommend custom insoles, but these can be pricey

6.64 for me tonight, again very hot !!

• 24 little hours to go peeps!! image 62 mile picnic! image For those who want to follow me I shall be tweeting along the way https://twitter.com/cardiosaurus

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Good Luck Tomorrow B2B - Rest Day accidently didn't happen - 5 miles run gently though so that counts - hopefully will get my fat a*se out of bed tomorrow at 5 and get an early 12/13 in before it gets to hot -

• Thanks Grendel! Big jump between 5th and 6th on the challenge eh?! Up in the 70 crew already, well done Grendel thats impressive! Im bringing up the rear at the moment ha ha ha. Should hopefully jump into the top 10 tomorrow all going well.

I read a really interesting artical regarding cramps last night. Have a read and let me know what you think...

http://www.irunfar.com/2013/07/cramping-my-style.html

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Thats pretty interesting stuff there B2B

• B2B

Good luck and will follow you on your blog

Grendel - That's an early start !! will try to be out around 7.15 myself - may have to drag out the old water bottle and belt - haven't used it for around 6 years - goodness knows what condition its in, hope I remembered to empty it !!

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Hope for your sake you did remember 3:30 -

Have so much stuff to do at the weekend it is the only way and I really like to get the longer run done on a saturday morning as it doesn't hang over you for the rest of the weekend - does that make sense. From a more relaxed point I do have more time on a sunday - (I would still go out at 5 though) 

I think my problem now is how slow I am running - in the old days 20 miles would take max 2:15 and we didn't bother to take water or any form of drink as we weren't out long enough, but now I am running that for 13 miles I should really think about taking some form of water (or runing laps and leaving a bottle in my garden) for my longer runs especially as I push up towards 20 - (thats next year though)

• Grendel

Makes perfect sense. I like to get the long run done and as my wife normally works Sat morning all the better

Your problem is the same as mine, speed or lack of, - my run the week before last was 12 miles in 2:02 - that's 4.26 marathon pace. In the glory days 20 would take me around 2:20

But I think were in the same boat, you originally said you wanted to be at 15 by xmas and I said I wanted to be at 10. So we are way ahead of what we wanted

Could be that maybe I should have built slowly to 10 by xmas and then may have been quicker - perhaps went for the big miles to early ?

In an ideal world I want to be looking at 12 in 1:45 ish and even quicker over the this year and next

But am getting older I am afraid

• Grendel - ineresting artical eh?

330 - yeah just keep an eye on twitter image

my marathon is 4.45, I know im not fast but its not to bad if I could do that back to back on a 50 as 10 hours would put me in the top half! image

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Getting older too - and B2B my only goal is to finish the marathon within 2 hours of by best time so am looking to run sub 4:41!!!

• Good luck tomorrow B2B, sounds like an interesting run, am following you in support of your progress! I cant think past doing a marathon at the moment, but who knows maybe one day (although I think I'd have to do an ultra in halves and camp over night?)

• b2b

Good luck m8, Not that you'll need itimage