Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• 6+6 for me today. Easy pace. May throw in some threshold miles this eve. 

Keeping away from double digit mile runs this week as have 3 races in the next 10 days. Still nice and warm! Took the shade in the woods this morning though. 

• bus, what sort of plan are you following for Abingdon? I make it 14 weeks and 4 days so that is into the first phase of the usual P&D 18 week plan and that phase is all about building up distance and not worrying about speed. 7:50 is plenty fast enough in that phase and 17 at 7:32 is actually too fast. Plenty of time later to tweak up the speed but early in the campaign it is about doing lots of easy miles.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Having trudged a 12 out in the still boiling early hours I cannot even comprehend a midweek 20.

As is the heat and the tightness wasn't enough, the dodgily done up plaster over the broken strap burst open at 7miles, so I had to carry that.

Then at 10, the ipod just gave up, meaning I had a lovely 2miles, headfones round neck, carrying the now useless ipod too! Expect it was just under 7min miling, so all good conditioning.

However, will embrace a day of eating now, and then no running until Friday!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

I'm running a 10 mile race on Sunday, so I had to shunt the 20 to midweek, and earlier in the week if possible to avoid torpedoing my race too much.  Not a massive fan of really long runs on weekday evenings.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

fair play those on the mara schedule sticking in the mid week 20 mile runs. I'll regularly do up to 15 mid week when mara training but those extra 5 are a different ball game that I need to prepare for and psych myself up for!

And on that note, didn't finish my 8x 600 session last night. Got to 5 and packed it in - no energy, no inclination and no bother. Went home and had a beer instead.

• Hi All

Well I've just completed my pre holiday road/path speed sessions on a Tuesday I mentioned some weeks ago and I thought I'd give an update

Started 5 Tuesdays ago

11/6 - 4*1k off 2 mins recovery average rep 3.15

18/6 - 4*1k off 90 secs ave 3.11

25/6 - 5*1k off 90 secs ave 1st 4 3.12 then fell apart 5th 3.23 so ave 3.15

2/7 - 5*1k off 75 secs ave 3.13 but finished strong this week

9/7 5*1k of 60 secs ave 3.15 heat was draining but recovery at lowest

I'm also training every day and have replaced rest day with a steady 5 miler and seems to be helping calf!! on a current run of 102 days without a break.

I've also introduced some faster speed work on a Thursday doing 400-600m efforts on a path/road and speed ok did 5*500m ave 90 secs of 1 min recovery last Thursday!

Now plan to continue with 10 easier days from Sunday as away on holiday and then come back and start racing more image

Hope you are all running, training well did spot mid week 20 milers in this heat amazing keep it up guy's.

I hope to post more once I start racing more and feel I have more info to share.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Seb, no point worrying about a DNF, as you say it's one to learn from.  Easier to DNF on the track, at least you don't have to wonder how to get back.

Good session from Tim in the heat, and even better beer drinking from Johnas.  Glad to see SG is enjoying his runs.

Welcome back Rob, good to see you back into it.  When's the next race?  Not sure I could cope with 102 days in a row.

My race on Sunday will start at 11 am.  This is going to make it interesting if the temperature holds.

• Dachs race plans roughly as follows

3/8 Low key HM as part of a tri relay team for a bit of fun plan to do as a hard training run race between 6 and 6.30 pace!!

11/8 or 18/8 either Great Warford 10 mile on 11th or BMAF 10k on 18th probably not both

21/8 Capenhurst 5k

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Hi Rob - good to hear from you and that training is going well.

Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)

bus, what sort of plan are you following for Abingdon? I make it 14 weeks and 4 days so that is into the first phase of the usual P&D 18 week plan and that phase is all about building up distance and not worrying about speed. 7:50 is plenty fast enough in that phase and 17 at 7:32 is actually too fast. Plenty of time later to tweak up the speed but early in the campaign it is about doing lots of easy miles.

My thoughts exactly Philip, though not sure I'd necessarily agree about the 17 at 7:32 as that was mainly flat and the leg speed felt very comfortable (as opposed to the heat!). 

I'm not following a specific plan, as I can never make these fit my own circumstances, but have devised my own long run schedule, starting early to both give a better build up and to allow for any issues later that might mean I have to miss a long run. The only other adjustments to my regular training will be to introduce a mid-week long tempo in place of the interval session, and perhaps strecth one fo the other runs to be a medium LSR.

This weeks was done early as I've got Wycombe Half a week on Sunday, so wanted to give plenty of time between.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Actually the P&D schedule has some pace built into this initial phase too, including marathon pace within long runs and LT sessions. The MP sessions are particularly nasty, for instance next weeks plan has 18 with 10 @ MP.

Rob, sounds like a good month of racing.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Fair play, that does sound nasty  - though my schedule has a 15 next week with 13.1 at HMP image

Funnily enough, my own schedule has a couple of 18s and 20s with the last 5 at MP, but the difficulty I've got is how to finish off with 5 miles flattish, living on top of a hill image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Well...HM intensity at least image

Bus, the solution is simple...drive somewhere to make it doable!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Those 1k sessions look like you are getting back to full power rob.

lots of long midweek miles all over the shop From just about everyone else.

just a 8m at 6.32 ave pace at lunch today. But the real fun was my kids sports day. Didn't want to do the dads race as my Achilles still isn't upto sprinting but my boy explained I didn't have a say it.  I decided to go easy but after 20m I caught my boys eye and my competitive spirit kicked in and I blasted on to win . at the finish line all the families were sitting having picnics etc but only 10m or so back, I couldn't stop, flew into the crowd, dodging a couple on a rug, then hurdled a row of chairs behind them, to great laughter from all who witnessed.  The outcome is I've hurt my Achilles again, it's currently being iced in a bucket but I have hero status off my boy.  who won his sprint race too.  image

• Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

Dean... where do I start? Ha ha! Injured showing off on a kids sports days! Hope it's all okay though, I'm sure it is!

Rob, nice to see the definite progression in those sessions and that your stringing solid weeks together. Where all those session on road/trails? If so they are even better. I bet the calf appreciates the lack of tartan track action! 102 days straight? With no rest day?

• Dean I'm saying nothing about "sports day" you already know yourself It's not big and its not clever image

Stevie all except one was on the whitegate way and the other on road from Abbey Arms to Delamere Station including coming back up the incline!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Dean - that adds to the long list of people I know with sports day injuries (me included!). Got to be done though and yours sounds like a very special effortimage

SG - car is rarely an option for long runs as the Mrs usually needs it at some point for chld taxi-ing duties...

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ah of course Bus! Complicates it!

Darn shuffle won't work now, so am using today's rest day to try and charge the 3 dead Nanos that haven't worked for ages...

Could be my yearly July Ipod buy!

Can't believe the Shuffle stopped working...no screen to die!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Get yourself a Sansa Clip - mine still works fine after years of sweaty use! It sounds good, clips onto a waist band, weighs nothing and is lot cheaper than an Ipod (course, if you've got all your music on iTunes you'll have aproblem!)

Double today, with an easy 5.5 xc to start. legs felt pretty heavy, but not surprising after 20M run and 30M bike in the 2 days previous.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

keep fresh for tomorrow Bus remember...

The ipods are so easy to use and run with though. I've tried other stuff and they skip and all sorts.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

sg - I have seen ipod come back from the dead by putting them on a sock or tea towel etc on a hot radiator (or leave outside in this recent sunny weather). as you say its only a flash drive with very few parts to malfunction so its probably sweat/water damage of some sorts.  the radiator trick might solve it  The reason i buy IPOD shuffle is they are cheap and 18months daily use is good return. 

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Another way to dry them out is to put them in a bag of rcie for 24 hrs....

Can't do tomorrow evening now SG I'm afraid - Mrs is out first part of evening, so I'm on childcare duty staright after work image

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

How do you people find out this stuff?!

Dean, excellent, love the description of the sports day, very evocative.  If ever an injury can be called "worth it" it's this.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Nice one Dean, and it was your recommendation that saw me move to the Shuffle from the expensive and constantly ruined Nanos!

Will try the radiator job tonight.

Bus,. you goon, I definitely need an ipod working now!

Looks like Phil's in Russia so he's out for a bit too!

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

been without t'internet as I've been up in t'dales for a few days. Looks like I've missed quite a bit. 

Hope you're well on the mend Iron and hopefully yours is nothing too serious Dean. Good pace there RobT and i myself will be running at Capenhurst. The rest of you make me ill with your big long runs midweek although I had probably one of the best I've ever had on Wednesday.

Decided to get up early and drive over from the caravan and run two of the 3 peaks. Went up the tourist route on whernside then descended that and followed the race route to Ingleborough and went up and down that then back to Ribblehead. Didn't take a watch, forgot to take some water (had a pee at the top of whernside and it was verging on brown. Not good with well over another hours running to do.) was really humid and the sun was trying to get through. 

This is at the top of Whenside. (2,415ft)

http://webkit-fake-url://62BED82F-E05D-44BF-9469-3FF9825204A6/imagejpeg

this was taken from the descent of whernside. Ingleborough just above the clouds was the next stop. the route up is pretty much straight up the right of the dip in the middle. Roughly where there is a little hump in it. Then up and across to the top. 

http://webkit-fake-url://025B2A27-A9FF-46FD-A938-14D8AD319708/imagejpeg

Then had a brief stop to take this and then asked someone to take one of my ugly mug. Probably one of the most enjoyable runs I've ever had. Hardly anyone about as I was at the top of Whernside of or 9am in the mist. 

http://webkit-fake-url://3963BADB-F910-4756-B5E9-58C6EEC79E00/imagejpeg

http://webkit-fake-url://9D62942E-6092-4793-8AFB-B221DFE07051/imagejpeg

• Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

I'm also running Capenhurst!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Sorry SG (I blame the Mrs!)

You can't go putting your rad on in this heat!

Matt - sounds like a great run (chronic dehydration aside!). Can't view the photos though (might just be my work pc).

Right, need to go and get ready for the second of todays run home - legs feel mashed, so will be interesting...

• Nice run Mattl.

I am on the mend, and ran almost 6km today in the midday sun. I'd like to say it was the heat that made the run hard but that would be lies. It also took an inordinate amount of time. Hoping for a sub 30min 5k at Parkrun this weekend image

SG how do you destoy these things? I have an ipod video with a HDD that has lasted years. Never run with music though. As technology has improved I have music on my phone (whodathought!) which is good for the gym when travelling.

Nice one Dean - take care of that Achilles. I was worrying about the kids' sports day but I will be in Germany. No pressure to sprint or win. One of my fellow duathletes from the Europeans asked on facebook if it was the done thing to wear GBR kit to sports day...

This heat has brought out the hayfever to a point of a very sore scratchy throat and a permanent cough. Maybe a summer cold but a good curry will solve that tonight. I shall also rehydrate well in deference to Ric.

Where are you Ric?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

I have an ipod video with a HDD that has lasted years.

IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

. Never run with music though.

That'll be why old son!

I've got 3 different version Nanos all sat here screen dead, snow did one of them, heavy rain another, ruck knows the other...

Shuffle was slightly misbehaving the last couple of weeks, but nothing really, then just stopped yesterday. Unsure if tucking it into my shorts rather than holding it (as per every other run ever) contributed, or is mere coincidence!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps, an open invitation to any lurkers, if anyone would like to send me an Ipod, in return for all the pleasure this this thread gives you, get in touch image

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Good call SG.  Lurkers, I would also like $100,000 in used banknotes.