Road running etiquette

If you are running on the road against the oncoming traffic and you approach a turn in front of you to the right and you are going straight ahead what is the proper etiquette. 

The reason I ask is that I had no cars coming out the turn and no oncoming cars approaching me making the turn so I ran across and a car behind me who obviously had to turn against the oncoming traffic to make the turn did so after I had gone past the turn but honked as if I was in the wrong for not checking behind me and letting him go in front of me.

I want to make sure I'm not in the wrong before I throw eggs at his car next time I see it image

Comments

• I take it there were no pavements then ?

I actually think you were in the right and he should and did gave way to you.

But - I'd have checked behind before the junction. There's no point in being technically right if you've been hit by a car. There are a lot of bad drivers around so you need to be more aware. Don't rely on others for your safety.

And I'd not egg the car either.
  • Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

In that situation I tend to assume the very worst of the driver for my own safety, even to the extent that I will run up the right turn for a few yards until the driver has passed, and then turn back. 

In theory I think you had priority as you were already crossing that road as a vulnerable road user. But that is cold comfort if you got mown down image

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Why didn't you check behind you?

• You have priority in this situation. It's their job to look, and their problem if they have to wait.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Avoiding death would be the priority. 

🙂

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Having witnessed a pedestrian knocked down on Monday morning by a drunk driver, and still in intensive care today, I would say always check and give way to cars. The pedestrain will invariably cvome off worse in an accident.

• If you were on a pavement Im pretty sure the car would have priority - you werent but you were on the wrong side of the road (i know its the right side to walk/run on though) so suspect the car may still have priority.

In reality its one of those occasions of who gets their first I would guess. Though as others have said - its not worth your skin to gamble on it.

• Cinders and RicF are correct.  It doesn't matter who has priority if you're lying on the floor with blood oozing from your ears.

• Why would you "egg the car" Loz?  I see your "hooligan" tendencies haven't subsided.  Have you been on another trip to Benidorm recently then image

• Chris.52Chris.52 ✭✭✭

Don't go unless the driver waves you on.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

If you are already crossing the road, you have priority, but many drivers don't know this and think you should just get out of their way.

Being right won't bring you back to life, though.

• runlozrunrunlozrun ✭✭✭

Hey Andy I find it difficult enough to run with a water bottle so I'm not exactly going to have eggs on me am I, I mean where would I put them? image

Thanks for the link Intermanaut.  I take everyone's comments about checking and not dying image and to be honest I must have done as I wouldn't have just started crossing without doing so but I must have thought the car was sufficiently far behind me for me to get over.  It was a straight road, I was wearing bright colours and he/she must have seen me for a good 1/4 mile which is why I was so shocked when he beeped his horn.  

• Also-ran wrote (see)

In that situation I tend to assume the very worst of the driver for my own safety, even to the extent that I will run up the right turn for a few yards until the driver has passed, and then turn back.

+1

I try and avoid stopping if it all possible, and as it's only a training run would rather detour a few extra metres to avoid any doubt.

• SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

If you assume car drivers are arrogant tossers who do not understand the rules of the road you will rarely be disappointed... = + 1 for screw the rules, self preservation is more important.

This is a country that dishes out  fines of a few hundred pounds to drivers who kill because it was 'just' a momentary lapse of concentration!  You need to look out for yourself!

Interesting that 6 people dying in a train crash gets international coverage; an average of 6 people die on the roads every day in the UK and no-one gives a s**t, unless it is a friend or family member of course.

Here I go, off on a rant! It is sort of relevant! (I have just got home after nights!)