Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Right, mini crisis averted. Daz from the Middle Ground thread made me remember I actually took out a £10 3 year insurance on it a year ago with Argos, (which I admit to thinking pointless straight after), and voila...a replacement!

Put the £10 back on to cover the next 2 years, and we're back in business.

• Great day today.. Day out with the Missus in the Peak District. Managed a track session before with 10x200m at av. 30s. Then 6m slow trails this eve just now. 

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

The pics were up when I first posted it but have vanished on mine now too. I'm not the best with technology. 

• Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

800, 200, 700, 200, 600, 200, 500, 400, 200 tonight, all off 90seconds. Started at 79s laps and got quicker. Ended on a swift 66s last 400, and 30s 200. Not bad in the heat. Anyone mad enough to race this weekend in this heat? Only a parkrun (being so early) would be feasible surely...?

Nice 200s there Tim, coming along nicely for an end of summer 5K PB.

• That's an interesting workout SS.. You'll storm that parkrun surely! Mid 16s?

I did my 200s fast but had long rests of 90s to make sure I could keep the pace. Cannot sustain those of 45s/60s or jogs.  Today's session was planned as a sort of sharpener. Did my longer intervals session on Tuesday. Racing 10k on Sunday; starts at 9:30 so hopefully not too hot. 

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Good to hear you're back running IC - here's hoping its a swift return to form.

Stevie - where did that session come from? Seems a right old jumble of distances - all fo whihc were bloody quick though image

Fast 200s Tim - nice set up to a good day by the sound of it.

SG - who'd have thought that an extended warranty would ever work out for anyone - result image

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

SS - great pace on those, I've never pulled out a 66 400 rep.

Yes, I'm foolish enough to be racing a 10 miler this Sunday.  Starting at 11 am, so could get interesting.

14 this evening at about 7:10 pace.  All along the Thames so the air was thick with those prick flies.  If it wasn't for those bastards it would've been quite pleasant.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

those what flies?

Dachs, sorry mate but that race will be savage! Good luck!

The session I did has decreasing reps but with a 200 stride after each 'long' rep. The 'strides' were all 36-37s.

Tim... no way a mid 16! And I'm not daft enough to race this weekend. I'm going into tempo mode now. I'm doing a 3K on Tuesday, unless the heat is like this then I won't bother!

At the moment cold water baths are amazing! image

• Trafford? I'm planning on being there too, although not planned very well with the 10k a few days before! 

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

SG - prick flies. Flies that are pricks. I'm in sweary mood.

SS - it will. But the New Forest 10 is always brutally hot, thats part of the fun. Used to go down every year to watch my dad run it, and i don't remember it ever not being a scorcher.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

10 in this heat sounds mental.

Slightly less mental than the Wycombe half next weekend in fairness.

The usual pressure to do the local race, not helped by local big names giving it large about how the "hotter the better"

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Tim & Stevie, assuming i dont go backwards with the injury i will be at trafford on tuesday.  800m for me, is it a 3000m for the pair of you?

fast 200s from tim and hyper fast 66s in a bizarro session from stevie.  is it off trend just to say tonight lads we are doing a sh*t load of 400's at vale?

another good run off road matt

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

woohoo on the running Iron. Slowly slowly catchey monkey

SS - 200m 'strides' between each?? Feckin tough session that. Have a good un at parkrun.

Tim - speedy session for you too. i still havent done a 200m session ever. Dont thik it'll pretty if i do.

Stevie see wrote (see)

Anyone mad enough to race this weekend in this heat? Only a parkrun (being so early) would be feasible surely...?

Got my summer A race this Sunday... a 10k over Essex way. Starts at 11am FFS. May have to forget the PB attempt if it's hot - hate running in the heat.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

According to FB, it's your birthday today SG? If so, many happy returns mate.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Cheers old son. First run as a 32 year old up in 20mins! Then 7x1k tonight.

Johnas, you only bagged a big 10k pb what seems like a couple of weeks ago, was this the main target? Heat might affect it, so at least you've got that in the bank, all depends on your personal ability against temperature

ps Ric, this lot are sorry for teasing you about your hydration, I've ticked them off! You can come back now. image

Got the Runnymede relay results out.

were 58 teams there, wow! Had guessed 45-50...but 58!

we were 2mins 33 from Datchet.

It's hard not to look at the results and see I was 1min 16 quicker than our star man Graham on the long leg, and if he was top form, he'd probably be something like that ahead of me...so that'd have pretty much equalled it out.

That's the game though, and no doubt Datchet could point to a host of others who'd have run faster than their starting 6 anyway! Whereas we pretty much had only 1 other who'd have made our 6.

6th fastest on the long leg out of 174 runners. One of the 5 was the guy i was trying to catch, and another was a guy who caught me up! I was on a hiding to nothing on that leg!

• Many happy returns SG. You're old now!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

SG - happy birthday old son! Missed that one. And to think, you wanted to spend the evening pulverising me on the track to celebrate - I'm touched image

Sunday doesn't look too bad heat wise, as the forecast is cloudy and no more tahn 20 ish at your race times, so fingers crossed you should be OK sweary Dachs and Johnas - good luck either way! Besides, you've had a week to bcome acclimatised now image

Parkrun for me tomorrow (probably) followed by 2 hours for driving round the M25 in the hottest part of the hottest day to off-load the kids at their aunt and uncles - grrr!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ta chaps.

And Bus, good point on the acclimatisation thing.

Remember the Maidenhead 10miler a couple of years ago? The one i quoted disclaimers aplenty? It turned super hot with no warning, and the Friday race was the hottest race I'd had in 4-5years. I remember feeling dehydrated before the start, and despite being in big pb form, came out a chunk over the pb. Bad times.

It's funny though. I used to just enter the Wycombe half every year without even a thought to the weather...

One of those casual early day runner's things I guess, before every single aspect gets analysed!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Happy birthday SG. Only 3 years from having a pointless 'V35' next to your name.

Worked at home today so did a midday 8 at around 6:45pace, with 10 x 100 strides. Mileage starting to add up now.

I'm not too worried about the heat on sunday to be honest, i seem to do ok in heat. My 10k PB at shinfield was an unexpectedly hot day, and runbritain reckons my best race last year was a hly half marathon in fierce heat.

• Bluenose74Bluenose74 ✭✭✭

Happy returns SG... Think this is your prime year, but dont quote me...

Dachs... "A hilly half marathon in fierce heat"... Thats on again Sunday week, you doing it?...

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Ok. First of all, apologies to our top man Dean. My last post gave all the impressions of a personal dig when I was thinking generally.

Back in a while.

🙂

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Bluenose - indeed i am. Stupid idea. Are you?

• Bluenose74Bluenose74 ✭✭✭

Indeed I'm not... Will be trying to defend my MV50 over the 10k... Which am not too hopeful about, Gary Eagle is also entered... I think the HM course is slightly changed this year...

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ric, behave, no one took offence, just relax.

I even tried your hydration method tonight, taking on a gulp or 2 of water before my session.

Bluey, hope so mate, i'd like a peak year in the sense that it's my best so far...not so much in that it's the top of the mountain and the way is down after though image

Right, tonight was 7x1km off 90secs.

pb pace is 3.27 (34.30), so I vaguely thought 3.25-3.27 repping would make sense.

In the end came out average 3.22

2nd was a bit loose, but the next 5, I locked into a bizarrely nice pace.

Hopefully this training method, as opposed to the flat out/dead at end style, might mean that 34.30 has some fat on it. And if that does, I'm in happy days as that's the one pb I've really drilled down this year.

It's all relative this game though. Got home, and one of the Datchet big names mailed me his session this week.

1 rep more
    30sec less recovery

average? 3.01 imageimageimage

if he's not blowing the doors off 32 soon i'll be very surprised.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps cheeky Frankie asked if I've changed age category!

I'm taking that as a sign I've been on the scene for years, as I got that from one of his clubmates at a 5k this year too!

It's definitely that, rather than me having the appearance of a grissled wretch.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Bluenose - tricky proposition then. I remember Gary Eagle as being one of our top guys when i was a junior. In them days we had 2 or 3 30/31 10k guys, which wasnt too bad for a small town club.

SG, some birthday magic in that session! Like you say, in the heat, maybe that indicates there is some fat to be trimmed? I bet there is given the right race. Great session.

4 x 1mile @ tempo (2mins rec) tomorrow then an easy 4 in the evening. With the AAAs sandwiched in between! Lovely.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

SG - Miller?  Good paces on yours though, and there's no point comparing your sessions to others.  Hope to see a low 34 soon.  When't the next 10K pencilled in?  Fancy the last Yateley race?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Stevie, it was more the dull humidity than the outright heat tonight in fairness. needed to take water on before hand though

Dachs, sure was. Him and TS have really pulled clear of the other pack of quality Datchets.

Schedule is fairly open at the moment. Might make sense to get a 3k & 5k in as those were the races due last month that I had to sack off.