Sub 3h15

Comments

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

The GFA system is a massive improvement, I'm in and hotel booked, when I'd normally be waiting on the snail post and hoping my entry hasn't got lost.

Shame you'll miss the Coastal Poacher, looks like a scorcher.

8 miles D&D, that's it, no more running before Sunday

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Total respect to SJ - hell of a thing to do sir.

Frazer, probs a glory grabber, see you at the finishimage. I will prob turn up for the start too though

• I have absolutley no intention of getting anywhere near Slokey Joe's IM time. My target is to complete, not compete.

Therefore, 8.4 miles run. Just over 8m/m. It felt harder and faster, which shows that I'm not as fit or as light as I think I am. Or as young.

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Slokey, that is a bloody fantastic effort, the long tri wasn't too shoddy either. I'd love to give one a go but the time management with all the training would be difficult, I would get some serious ear bashing from 'er indoors.

Never say never though.
  • Brilliant report Slokey. I can't believe you swallowed Pierrepont water with no ill effects thoughimage

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

image I'm still ticking over Speedy with no ill effects. I have iron guts. All those years of eating out of date prawns!

To all those thinking of giving it a go I'd highly recommend it. The process and the event itself is incredibly rewarding. I appreciate the nice comments but with your endurance backgrounds it really is within all of your grasps if you want to do the IM specific work. Plus, seeing the look on ordinary (I.e non endurance athletes) people's faces when you tell them the distances that you are racing is priceless.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

SJ - what a cracking campaign and well executed race, very nice swim and bike times for a novice too. You could improve lots more (if you so wished) with another year or two under your belt. Excellent stuff.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

one day SJ....one day

• A huge well done SJ - amazing dedication and attention to detail.

As for the actual race it sound like it was a great experience. You must be ever so proud of yourself, and justifiably so. Hats off sir!

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

SJ - absolutely stunning achievement. I really enjoyed reading your amazing report - I think you've successfully put me off ever even considering taking up Triathlon! You are officially a thread legend.

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Brilliant report SJ. I loved reading about the swim and bike build from total novice to IM level. 

13m @ 7.14m/m for me this morning. I want to experience running on tired legs this weekend. 

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

SJ - Astounding effort and achievement, well done! Loved your report, was hanging onto every word. I watch the IM series religioulsy and would like to think that I may have the guts to attempt one, one day!

10k race for me last night and I shall not be composing any sort of report after SJ's but suffice to say it was sh**! All my concerns about the temperature were for nothing but it was the wind instead, 2nd 5k into a 20mph headwind with sand blowing off the beach into your eyes, not fun!. Finished 4th in a poor 40:32. Having successfully kicked the smoking habit into touch for the second time and recently recording a 18:55 5k on a hilly course I thought I was ready to step up to the next level but didn't happen and am very disappointed, now back to drawing board.

• Ah, how lovely.  This is my first check-in here for ages, and it seems to have been well timed.  Fantastic stuff, Slokey.  I really enjoyed reading that.  So, was that about a 4.5 hour marathon?  I assume this is where you're aiming to gain at least 30 minutes in your next attempt?  Hopefully the home friction has eased and your "noticeably different" body shape and Mrs Slokey are now very happy together.

Ant - welcome to sunny Southport.  Where are you based?  If you haven't already done so, then head through the pinewoods towards Formby, or through the sand dunes between Ainsdale and Birkdale.  Or on the trails between the Hillside & Birkdale golf courses.  All good running routes.  Most half marathoners will have run the local half last weekend, so won't be heading to Lytham on Sunday.  I mean, what sort of mentally unhinged lunatic would want to run both?

PMJ - Stop pretending you're travelling to secretive and mysterious locations.  We all know you're really sitting in your garden shed playing Dungeons & Dragons.

Happy birthday Jools.

5 miles yesterday, 4 today.  All being well, I might reach 20 in a week for the first time since, oh, way back when. 

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Nice work SJ.  That's a great report and a great event experience.  It sound like you thourough enjoyed it, which afterall is one of the main reasons we all do this.  Sounds like a tough run though.  Training for the last third is what we need! You have reminded me that there are many epic races in the UK.  I just hope I'm not going to be in a hotel room alone anytime soon - oh no - I am

I got the diagnosis on my leg that I have periostitis (the connective tissue sheath on the surface of the bone is inflamed and painful).  Thankful for that as it could have been much worse.  So 4-12 weeks of non-impact stuff is the prescription. However conventional medicine attitude prevails and they only want to identify and fix the symptoms.  Finding the cause is left to me so I'll be going back to the private physio once I could start running again for a debug.

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Great write up and a great achievement SJ. Inspired me to get out and have a little shuffle this am. Breast stroke is about all I can muster(the old lady, don't get my hair wet style), and my bike is rotting away in a shed, otherwise I'd give it a goimage

• Slokey - I am stil speechless, wandering around, shaking my head in amazement. Chapeau.

Jools - Belated birthday wishes - hope you had a good time.

Mennania - I've given up on the idea of going to Lytham. I'm in Southport which is a good hour by road, and no public transport to get me there on time. I did think of hiring a bike...No, I'm going to run part of the Sefton Coastal parh or the Leeds-Liverpool Canal.

TAR - Yes, those are the runs I love doing, esp the forest towards Formby. I also like going around Marshside and along the Coastal Road to the pier and then round the Marine Lake.. I'm staying on Norwood Ave - do you fancy meeting up for a run and?or a drink? I'm here till 31st Ju;ly.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

/members/images/646024/Gallery/web-AUTA0427.jpeg

swim

/members/images/646024/Gallery/web-AUTF0474.jpeg

bike

/members/images/646024/Gallery/web-OUTF1189.jpeg

run

/members/images/646024/Gallery/web-OUTA1252.jpeg

finish image

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear about the injury news BikeIt - hope it recovers quickly!

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

TR, your post has been rattling around my head all day.  I think I could take at least 5mins off the swim and 30min off the bike and maybe, just maybe 45-60mins off the run in the right conditions which could give me a 9:xx...... I think it will be harder to convince the wife though!

• Splendid photos, Slokey. 
    (I think we could probably have worked out the differences between swim & bike etc without the accompanying titles, but it'd be churlish to mention that.  So I won't).

Good luck in obtaining domestic clearance for Round 2.  But are you sure that referring to Mrs Slokey as "the wife" is likely help matters?

Sure thing, Ant.  I'll send you a pm, as we say around here.

Oooh, arranging to meet strangers off the internet. 
    And I thought my luck would never change...

• Hats and wetsuits off to Slokey once again.

No running for me.

3.9km swim this afternoon, without a wettie, as it was declared to be too warm. I'm a total novice, 1hr 45min. That'll do for me. At one point on the circuit my shoulder started to stiffen up. It's all to do with being a crap swimmer. Luckily the tightening only started 100m from completing the course.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Great photos SJ.

Flying visit. 16 easy miles this morning to round off another 54 mile week. 1 more to go before the end of base training. Good luck to anyone racing this weekend and enjoy the sunshine while it lasts.

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Great photos Slokey, is that a tcr you're on? I have one in black.

Lorenzo- are you still riding the Newbury magnificat tomorrow? I'm meeting up with a couple of work colleagues at about 7ish for approx 7.15-7.30 start. If you fancy some company let me know as it would be great to meet up.
  • KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Love the cheeky off the shoulder wetsuit look SJ. 

Looking forward to reading the report of: 'When Ant met AR'.

Good mileage Gul. You're building up nicely.

I have a Giant as well Moof. Great value bikes. 

Loving the Tour this year. There have been very few boring Tours (since Indurain retired) but I can't remember one being quite so good by this stage.

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Nice figures for the week Gul, unlucky on the 10k GM.

Off to sunny Lytham presently - Are you going to be wearing a carnation Frazer? Or just let me know your bib number maybe and I will catch up with you tomorrow!

Good luck to all runners and racers this weekend.

• Great photos SJ

Agree with you re the tour Keir - no shortage of incidents and intrigue.

Moof - yes, I'm still on for tomorrow. Was going to drop you a line, but you got there first. I was aiming to get there for 7.15 (which means leaving the house at 6.00!) and then get away at 7.30ish but I'll see if I can get there a bit earlier as it would be great to have some company. Message me with your mobile number and I'll let you know how I'm getting on. I'll be in an orange Euskadi Euskatel top and cycling glasses that look like lab specs until they react to the sun (cue plenty of jokes at home). Looks like it'll be a warm one, but I prefer cycling to running in weather like this.

30 mins out on the bike this morning just to check that everything was in order. Managed a couple of short runs while up in Scotland. 6 miles down to the beach and back in Aberdeen and then a blast over the Tay Bridge and back the the following day. Always fun to run in new places.

Good luck to those out there this weekend.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

great photos SJ, you looked the part, except for the run one when you looked like a runner doing a tri. Your swim time was very good for a novice, you could gain 5mins in a year easily. It takes a few years to build some bike legs too, so you could knock lots of time there too if you commit to cycling year round. I dont see why you couldnt gain 30min to 45 mins if you did the Outlaw again in 2014, if you train swim/bike/run year round. depends upon your goals and hopes really and if you want to run the best stand alone marathons that you could.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Ah, the smell of spam on a sunny Saturday morning!

15M around parkrun marshalling duties for me this morning.