Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

happy bday SG

ric, no offence taken mate.  Just a difference of opinionimage

Great session SG. For what it's worth I think those type of sessions are where the improvements are.  Also worth trying to go above current pace but have longer recs.

a 14m at 6.50 pace for me today.  I did a 8m yesterday at 6.20 pace so was surprised by today's pace as I was targeting 7.15image  but just let the miles fall out at whatever pace felt good.  That's 48m since Monday so is already the biggest mileage week since early may without this weekend to add to it.  I guess being injured so I can't sprint means I just throw out bigger mileage and a slower pace.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dean you're in a nice place, those 6.50s are starting to roll off your feet at a canter.

Will you try adding some MP/HMP tempo stuff in? I reckon you'd enjoy one of the thread classics,a  45min continuous sesh alternating in 5min segments between MP and HMP! If you nail that at the target paces, you know you're in a good place.

• Bluenose74Bluenose74 ✭✭✭

Dachs... Didn't, he come third in last years HM... Have you had a look at the entry list?  You must have a chance of winning...

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Ive had a look, but i'm not too familiar with the local names, so i'm not worrying about position. No, was another Frome runner in 3rd last year.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

sg, I had a wake up call that I have Hm in sept but I'm woefully under prepared for it.  I haven't done a Track session with reps over 400m since may And no proper tempo so  the thought of trying to hold sub 73 pace doesnt feel close.  But i want to get my targets on the track so maybe that half will be a bit under baked.

stevie see.  Don't know if you have seen the north staffs Xc, winsford is the day before Robin Hood half and park hall is the day before Leeds abbey dash.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

sounds sensible. if I was doing your track reps and races I wouldn't even have a half marathon in the pipeline. Although obviously there is that greater injury risk with smashing the short stuff!

• .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭

Happy Birthday SG!

Good luck Bus @ Parkrun and Dachs' 10miler and anyone else racing this weekend.

Dean I might have guessed your competitive side would show through at a school sports day. Sounds like it hasnt caused you to back off training much!

Nice fell run Mattl, must have felt good not to take a watch. I cant help but always look at it and it probably spoils some runs.

Fast 200's and long midweek runs seems the order of the day round here, last three weeks I've subbed the long midweek run for a 50mile bike ride and a 5mile run. Nice to be doing a different form of exercise for a change.

No racing till next weekend for me, doing the Crowden Horseshoe fell race, be nice to get out on the proper hills again.

This weeks quality training included 5 x 1 mile LT (5:41)with 60/secs recovery on grass and  a speed session, 5 sets of 200,200,400m with full recovery. avg. 32s and 67/68s so faster than I wanted and lightly tweaked a hamstring. not eased up training its just a feeling at the moment. Mileage looking big too (for me). Trying to follow a half marathon plan for October but its seems a tough one, Supposed to do Intervals tomorrow also!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Hello Seb - wish I had a fell race in the pipeline!

parkrun this morning. Bit hot, and a little too much beer and curry last night and tired legs resulted in my second slowest time on the course, with a bit of quality retching in on the line for good measure!! 18:40 for 4th place. My boy did his first parkrun too. Not sure what his time was, but he did OK. His mate, also 9 did really well in 26 mins as per last week. Bit of a natural it seems.

• Well done Bus jnr (peoplecarrier?)

MrsCat5 PBd again at parkrun. Now down to 38:22 for 5km. She's almost as fast as me now. No parkrun for me due to manflu &hayfever. Hope to make it out tomorrow.

Johnas' link last week made a very interesting read. Daniels/Pfitzinger seem to recommend holding the distance for 3 weeks before increasing mileage or adding a day. Going to take weeks to get back to even a small base. For those that have come back from injury what was you previous weekly milage & days/week, and what did you return at?

For me it's a case of where do I make the decision to keep mileage the same but throw in the 4th day.

• Stevie G . wrote (see)
    Got the Runnymede relay results out.

we were 2mins 33 from Datchet.

It's hard not to look at the results and see I was 1min 16 quicker than our star man Graham on the long leg, and if he was top form, he'd probably be something like that ahead of me...so that'd have pretty much equalled it out.

That's the game though, and no doubt Datchet could point to a host of others who'd have run faster than their starting 6 anyway! Whereas we pretty much had only 1 other who'd have made our 6.

6th fastest on the long leg out of 174 runners. One of the 5 was the guy i was trying to catch, and another was a guy who caught me up! I was on a hiding to nothing on that leg!

Saw those and did some analysis myself. Two things:

1) Yes, you had a runner who performed under par but so did we.

2) I think Sandhurst were tactically naive with their leg choices. In a relay you want to be in touch so you don't want to start with a really bad leg but also you have to give runners a chance so having a bad leg at leg 5 leant that you had one leg to recover and that was too hard for anyone. If you juggled it a bit then you may have foudn that runners coudl have made up a bit each.

• IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

For those that have come back from injury what was you previous weekly milage & days/week, and what did you return at?

I came back pretty much at the same miles (about 40) and days (5 or 6) as before but the difference is intensity.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Phil, in fairness all our team performed as well as we had in us on the day. Yes,a couple of us had little niggles and might have done quicker, and Graham on top form would have been a couple of mins quicker, but like I said you had some top notch boys not even there. So a fair result all in.

I'm sure tactics play some part, but not sure it'd have mattered who we'd fielded where to be honest. Datchet and Sandhurst put their best runner (on paper) on Leg 5, but then our best leg came out on 3...so we'd have had a bigger deficit to make up on 5 anyway!

13 at 7 tomorrow if that's not too early for you. Having run a 6 today in the midday sun, I think the earlier the better tomorrow!

• Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

Nice for you and your boy to run together Bus. Plus you got to show him the standard dry barf!

Did 4 x 1mile (2mins) @ tempo to day. Midday prob' wasn't the best time as it was a tad warm. Reps were: 5:58, 5:59, 5:57, 5:55. Felt controlled, last one was tricky, the heat started to hurt after 2 laps. Just nice to getting used to tempo pace. Will progress next Sat to 3 x 1.5 miles.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

good effort SS, especially in the midday heat.

Similar sesh to one I gave my clubmate this week. Although hers were HMP, so she got a mere 45sec recovery. Which was stingy of me!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

people carrier image

Took me about 6 weeks or so to build up to similar mileage and intensity after the last big time off injured. I guess the total depends how long off, and what other training you've been able to do though. One to play by ear and just build positively but carefully...

Nice tempo Stevie - hard enough keeping that sort of pace up early at the parkrun this morning, let alone at mid day!

My lad didn't get to see me retching today as he was about 12 mins behind, but he's seen me go through enough finishes in the past to know what its like image

• Did you see Ben Livesey last night, 10,000 m track PB in 29:34

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

yep, and looks at the names, only 5/6secs ahead, Lemoncello, Overall! quite amazing.

He seems to have found a huge extra gear this last year. Finally putting in the training his talent deserves? image

• bus, I had a look at the parkrun results yesterday and it looks like a good collection of odds and sods. Winner was Ryan Brookling who must be somewhat local, guess Reading way, but is unattached and runs 16:15. Can never quite understand him, if I could run that fast I wouldn't do a dozen or so parkruns in a year and no raod races at all.

Also seemed to have Mr and Mrs Purple Patch Runners, http://www.purplepatchrunning.com/about-us, maybe worth introducing them to the concept of running for free and putting in time as a volunteer (£23 for Up flow, down tow half!)

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Just looks that chap's style to do 5-6 road races a year, and mostly do parkruns these days. Maybe he's building back up in 2013, as 17.07 fastest this year

Shame PO10 doesn't go back properly 20-30 years, as I expect he was smashing some great times then. I'm sure he didn't just arrive in 2010...

• Strange - if he has a PO10 profile then he is UKA affiliated.

Thanks Bus and Phil. Have been doing about 8hrs/week on the bike so still active. Will build it up slowly and see. I'll just have to be patient!

Slet 11 hours last night, plus a 1 hr nap in the evening.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Indeed. When I saw him set off fast I thought he looked like a chancer who would fade quickly, but he didn't and just got quicker! Certainly didnt look the build for a fastie, but that could be part of the come back!

Agree re Mrand Mrs PP Philip!

• Back from a 13 with SG @7;30 pace with stiles, hills, over grown paths etc so nicely pottering along. If your ears were burning it is not surprising, conversation covered most subjects.

Really main plan now is to get through the summer. Just back from a week in Russia, a week back at home then 2 in the USA, one in Cornwall and then two at home and another in France. That means early September gives me about 7 or 8 weeks to sharpen up for Cabbage Patch. Apparently 62 minutes is worth 80% WAVA so may have to concede to the hour barrier.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Like Phil says a nice social one today, gave Phil's legs and ears a right old going over.

Brings up a 72.5mile week for me this week with 2 sessions!  Nice! I'm still thinking, this pelvis is a bit tight, but I guess if a week like that is possible, then not in too bad a place. Still...I always view things on a cautious note, so will press on strengthening.

Rock n roll travel plans there Phil, you do well to stay fit with all that going on!!

• 10km here, just a smidge over the hour. I have cyclist's legs now.

I slight twinge, likely due to the jump from 6km Wed to 10km today, though I did find a masisve knot in the same calf yesterday.

The manflu obviously played part as my HR was slow to react, though the heat was brutal. I haven't felt like this since my last long MP runs in 2011. A cold bath was the order of the day upon my return.

Phil wins. I'm only in Germany next week, then camping with the kids for the weekend with the drinking, I mean running club, then the week off work on the coast with MrsCat5 and kids.

• Back from the We love manchester 10k.

Very disappointed. Do not know what happened, but came home in a rather less than impressive 36:47, 27th place. 

I had expected 35:30 if not faster at my current fitness.

started well.. 1 3/4 laps around the track which seemed strange, then onto the streets.

Thought it strange that there was no 1km marker, then noticed it at 4:36!! All the markers were like that so had no idea whatsoever where we were on splits.  Ran to feel, felt good, strong, but the time was dismal. I beat someone who went under 36 at the Great Manchester Run by almost a minute and everyone was saying it was long.  The winner, Mohammed Abu Rezeq came home in 30:39 I think, so that makes me think that I was just slower than I thought... Oh well.. 3k on tuesday. 

• Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭
    Tim Natrajan wrote (see)

Back from the We love manchester 10k.

Very disappointed. Do not know what happened, but came home in a rather less than impressive 36:47, 27th place. 

started well.. 1 3/4 laps around the track which seemed strange, then onto the streets.

Thought it strange that there was no 1km marker, then noticed it at 4:36!! All the markers were like that so had no idea whatsoever where we were on splits.  Ran to feel, felt good, strong, but the time was dismal. I beat someone who went under 36 at the Great Manchester Run by almost a minute and everyone was saying it was long.  The winner, Mohammed Abu Rezeq came home in 30:39 I think, so that makes me think that I was just slower than I thought... Oh well.. 3k on tuesday. 

Mo is a sub 30 min runner so obviously something is a miss. Do you not have a GPS Tim? I never rely on course markers as I've had a few bad experiences over/under compensating where markers were actually placed wrong.

But if you felt easy and strong in the heat and came home to a decent time I wouldn't worry.

• Stevie see wrote (see)
    Tim Natrajan wrote (see)

Back from the We love manchester 10k.

Mo is a sub 30 min runner so obviously something is a miss. Do you not have a GPS Tim? I never rely on course markers as I've had a few bad experiences over/under compensating where markers were actually placed wrong.

But if you felt easy and strong in the heat and came home to a decent time I wouldn't worry.

A very good effort Tim, more so assuming Manc has the heat that we do here.

This brings about the question of pacing. I typically rely on Garmin autolap on 1km but at Shinfield noticed Garmin was shorter than km markers.

The pack I was running all were manualy triggering the lap markers (wasn't used to being up there), I guess to get a more accurate lap pace and hence pace better.

What do the majority here do? I think SG manually triggers laps.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

85 mile week for me.

4 x 12 miles + 1 x 15 miles.

2 sessions: 20 x 400m -2 seconds faster average than last week & 40 x 200m (one per minute) av 38 seconds.

Added an evening spin on the bike for up to 60 minutes.

Considering the daily 6 or 7 hours spent sorting out gardens in the heat as well, not too bad.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Sounds a solid outing Tim. And you certainly have at least a sub 35.30 in you from your 5k. 16.48 wasn't it? Mine is 16.53 and I nurse a 34.30 after all!

Hot weather racing is never going to be a picnic, so like SS man says don't fret.

Iron, certainly manual for me. Otherwise you might go to check your split at a marker, and see 4secs staring back at you! Yes, they might be badly placed markers, but generally it's in and around, and that's enough. The ability of the former to screw your race makes the latter less of a risk in my opinion.

85, that's big Ric. You aren't packing racing in come October old son.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps Dachs how did you do? Like Bluey pointed out...possible swag for you there....

checked the 2011 results, and the guy in 2nd was a chap I beat at Wokingham by 2secs...so every chance for you with your heat running ability.