Sub 3h15

Comments

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

1 fake Bolivian passport later....

• Spam free here.

67 miles biked, over the Severn Bridge. I thought I was the dog with 2 tails, until this geezer breezed past me and nonchalantly mentioned that he was going from Cardiff to London. That's 150 miles as the carbon crow flies.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Hurrah, spam disappeared - glad Keir saw it, too, so that my post doesn't appear totally mad!  

150M, even on the bike, is a fair old way.  Especially in this heat...

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Well spotted Moof! TCR is the ride of choice. 

Good luck to all of the racers tomorrow! Give it some beans!!

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

I've persuaded the Mrs that Ecotrail de Paris is a good idea in March!!!! Yay. Flights being booked tomorrow image

• FrazerelliFrazerelli ✭✭✭

Keir/Jools. Had vaguely wondered what you two were on about there....

impressive miles from Blisters and the anonymous show off

menna. Haven't got a number yet. Will be in turquoise vest,  black shorts, shades and yellow trainers if that helps. Hopefully that helps. Do you ave any distinguishing features? Warm but not too hideous here just now 

quick work SJ. Did you use all your seductive powers of persuasion - put the  Barry White on, dim the lights and whisper sweet nothings ? 

TR.Not sure if that was a compliment or an insult that SJ looked like a runner doing a tri...

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

I took it as a compliment! 

My seduction powers have indeed been applied for my evil purposes.... Bwahahaha!

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Ah, that brings back memories Blisters. Cold January Sunday mornings, grovelling on the back of the group over the lumps around Lydney, phlem landing in my face from the faster riders, just about holding on with the cross winds over the bridge, blowing up seeing stars and gobbling Mars bars and Coke at Thornbury, just about getting back to Gloucester on my knees!

When older I used to extend the ride to go via Ross, down the Wye valley and when over the bridge come back via Chipping Sodbury and Nailsworth. 

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Keir - just that Sj had his running kit over his Tri-shorts, Give him 2 years and he'll have calf guards, Newtons, a tri top, visor and a fuel belt instead to go with his Tri shorts. 

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

You're mixing me and Fraser up TR. I'm the one that looks like a 1 yr old, Fraser is the one that looks like a dog. image

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Keir - oops, sorry.I bet you're getting nice and fit again now ? keep a lid on it, the most important thing about the days training is still being able to back it up the next day, and the next day.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

SJ - nice pics. I still need to read your report.  Don't want to skim it so will put a couple of hours aside tomorrow. image

OO - will see you at some point tomorrow. I've just been on the coast and it's cooler and damp at the moment.  Lets hope that lasts till tomorrow.... 

• Up at 6 am, read the first part of SJ's report, 13 miles along the Thames on a glorious summer morning, back home, pot of tea, almond croissant and part two now done and dusted. Great report SJ, if I ever mention doing a triathlon just kick me in the soft parts repeatedly until I concede it is a bad idea. For me pre-marathon preparation is lying down in the changing tent out of the sun and conserving energy, not swimming the channel and riding a stage of the Tour de France (Ventoux this afternoon, need to make space in the cleaning and gardening schedule).

• Morning all. It's been a light week for me as I have been nursing my heel niggle. I'm fairly convinced it's just bone bruising and nothing more serious, since it now only hurts when I have shoes (or trainers) on. So I'm just ignoring it. 10 miles on the treadmill on Friday (I wanted the option to get off if it was painful) and 17.5 miles yesterday morning (was meant to be 16 but we miscalculated). I did do some x-training on Thursday as well and it's only early days in the schedule, so I'm not too worried about the lost miles. 

This Wednesday is the next installment in the Notts Summer League. Currently I am top of the individual table on 6 points, and Literatin is clipping at my heels on 8 points. Dangerously close behind us is Jo from Notts AC on 11 points. She has improved mightily since race 1 (when she was ill) and beat me over 3000m last weekend. 

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

PMJ - good to hear you're safely home! Enjoy not doing the duathlon this afternoonimage
    Speedy - hope the niggle is gone in time for Weds.
    I'm now dog-sitting for a week and a half so posting may be sporadic.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Good to see you today OO. image

Coastal Run (Speedy you did it at Christmas with me) I had a bit of a shocker time wise, 1:54 which is about 6 minutes down on the last time I did it, when I wasn't as fit!  I enjoyed it and I didn't find it hard but I just didn't have any speed in me.  It wasn't too hot - a sea fret kept the sun off for most of it, but there was a headwind all the way I noticed.  I carried an iced electrolyte drink that I didn't need and also two gels that I didn't bother to take.  So basically a good training run over beach, trail and road! image

Edit:  Its nice to be back running again!

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Hope the niggle goes soon, Speedy.

Minni: today was  tough day for running, whatever you say about sea breezes.  As you say, it's just great you're back out there running and racing again image

Roman 10k for me: hilly (incorporates parts of the Cotswold Way) and hot (11am start).  1st lady but the time tells the tale of the conditions: 47.22 (although I did stop to tie my shoelace!).  Still, it'll have been good for leg strength, and I think doing XC over the winter helped, so these trail races should be doing me good!

A guy collapsed and needed an ambulance, so hope he's ok.  It's pretty rare in my racing experience, but always unnerving and meant that the prize giving was understandably postponed.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Minni it sounds like you stopped at The Ship, The Jolly Fisherman AND The Fishing Boat on the way image

Joolska that really is unnerving, seen it happen a few times - hope he's mended

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

You did well Minni, I was nearly 8 mins off the pace of last year with a1:35 (55th). Probably my worst run of the year. Seeing you at the start and finish was one of the few bright spots. Still a great run though, I'll be back next year for more.

I think I may ease back for a while- see if a rest does me any good.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Ah you're too nice OO but it was good to see you too. I know you've not had the best year but you're still looking very fit. image

• FrazerelliFrazerelli ✭✭✭

Well run Minni, OO and Jools in the heat. Might try that coastal one myself next yyear 

Glad the foot's settling Speedy

enjoy the dog sitting Gul. Are you experienced in such matters?

Distinctky average-to-poor showing from me at a slightly warm slightly windy lytham with a 1.24. Have cyberstalked a few of those around me this evening and looks like my sub par showing wasn't too far off most people's results however so feeling a bit less glum! Was a pleasure to meet up with mennania at the end. Always nice to see a forumite in the flesh.

That frickin 79.xx remains elusive for me then. Have committed to really pulling my finger out, no excuses for missing any sessions, and losing a few pounds in the 14 week build up to amsterdam now. Time to kick my own ass

• Well done to FrazerelliMinni, Jools and OO for racing in this weather. Not easy, even with a sea fret.

I was on the bike today for the Magnificat - a 200km ride starting and finishing in Newbury and taking in various parts of Berkshire, Hampshire and a bit of Wiltshire. Very, very warm, so goodness only knows how much liquid I took on - I reckon it was around 6L during the ride. 

Met up with Moof at the start and we rode together until the first feed station when he showed he had better bladder control than me as I needed to stop. Hope he made though all right, but he was looking very strong when he left me. 

Still, it's the furthest I've ever cycled in one go and not counting the stops at the feed stations, I got round in 7:21 at an average of 17mph so I'm feeling rather pleased with myself although watching Froome climb Mt Ventoux puts things in perspective!

Might have a rest day tomorrow. image

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Can I win the competition for slowest run?

TR wrote (see)

Keir - oops, sorry.I bet you're getting nice and fit again now ? keep a lid on it, the most important thing about the days training is still being able to back it up the next day, and the next day.

image image image

Well, I managed not to run an extra to run an extra 2 miles this evening to take my record 88m week into the 90s, so I guess that's keeping a lid on it.

And although I ran 27.8miles in the LDWA Hilly Weald Marathon today (extra due to getting lost and retracing steps) I did keep a lid on the pace (5hr 15mins).

But, I think tomorrow might be a rest day as I've only had 1 of those in the past 3 weeks and I quite fancy another.

Actually today was a really beautiful rural marathon, all on footpaths around the hilly weald of Kent. Very enjoyable company with David, an experienced veteran with 28yrs experience in these events and Eddy, a female ultra runner who is trying for a UK ultra bib at the world champs next year and has a 9.45hr Ironman from Hawaii to her name. Difficult navigating with slowly disintergrating and increasingly soggy A4 typed directions, but just about made every check point. We came home joint first, so I guess I can count that as my 3rd win and 5th podium place of the year. Also didn't take on any gels but an abundance of shortbread biscuits were consumed.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Gosh it's been a day of meeting up.

Fraser - that's the same talk I've had with myself today. Better to tell yourself than have frankenmoz say it. image  1:24 is pretty awesome. Get yourself into the Coastal next year. It's not really about times because the terrain can vary depending in the tides etc but its well worth doing. 

Lorenzo - giving it some on the bike there. Do you not just pee as you go??? How tired are you after something like that?

Wow jools - a winner! Brilliant! image

• moofmoof ✭✭✭

Hats off to all you runners today, it was way too hot for that. I, on the other hand rode the Magnificat Epic 125 miles.

Great to meet up with Lorenzo at the start, we rode together for about 20 miles before he had to stop at a feed station to visit the little boys room. Hope you made it all the way Lorenzo, it was bloody hot.

So 7 hours and 3 mins sat on a bike on a pretty hilly course for 125 miles is enough for me for one day. Had to stop at the feed stations a few times to refill the water bottles, so average speed of 17.7 mph including about 10 mins of stopping, I think isn't too bad considering this was my first attempt.

Marathon training really helps on the mental side, which we know is relentless and there are no easy miles apart from if you stop, which of course we don't. Really helped me at about the 100 mile stage, just had to dig deep. Lots of people all around falling apart.

Now time for some proper Mara training.

Slokey- I know I cycled a little further than you did last week (only 13 miles) but there was no way I could have got off that bike and run 100 metres lets alone 26.2 miles. Big respect to you.

Lorenzo- I didn't envy your car journey home, although I could have done without my 3.8 bike commute after the event.

I've had a few beers and a big slice of cake coz it's my Birthday! image

46image

take me too long to write a postimage

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Keir: big miles this week.  And that sounds like a very tough run - I only did a tough 10k and that was enough!

• moofmoof ✭✭✭

So if I don't include the feed stops 6 hours 54 mins, average 18.1 mph of actual bike riding.

I look forward to seeing the chip timed results, maybe ok or maybe shit.

• moofmoof ✭✭✭

Keir- that is a very decent run.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Happy birthday moof. Wow that is an incredible time in the bike. 

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Happy birthday Moof! What a way to celebrate it - riding a bike with Lorenzo! image