to old to learn

Hello I wonder if any of you runners out there be able to help me out. Is it to late to get into running/plodding at the age of 40 be honest with me I can take it. Lol. I've spent several years boxing but never been able to run very far due to achillies heel problems. I just wondered how old is to old an should I just accept I'm just past it. 

Comments

• Nope, 40 is fine. Not even old when it comes to long distance running.

• Don't be daft - Fauja Singh (look him up) took up running seriously at the age of 89!

Is this the Simpsons avatar thread BTW? image 

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

An achillies injury might put the kibosh on running; age certainly wouldn't.

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

Loads of people switch to running when they get too old for other sports.    And some do very well indeed (at distance running.. 10K to marathon distance is best). You do need to be ready for "failure".  I guess that in boxing, you felt the thrill of victory roughly half the time you competed.  But in running, you're very unlikely to actually win... and I know an ex-boxer who misses that winning thrill. After all, if 200 people enter a race, there will be only one man and one woman who actually wins it.

Lots of competitions are age-banded, so you can introduce a realistic element of competition... the main competition is between you, the course and your watch... and perhaps your running club colleagues.  You will probably need to gain satisfaction with achieving a personal best, or achieving a top 100 place in a race.  Put like that, it doesn't sound so satisfying...  but it is.

As also-ran says, you need to think carefully how to deal with that achilles. If it stopped you when you were in your thirties, why should it be OK in your forties!!   I'm sure lots of people have found a way round this... get some good advice.

• roebyroeby ✭✭✭

I did my first half marathon when I was 40, I had never run prior to training for it.Four years on and I love my running, try to get 30miles a week in ,prefer the longer distances and really only do fell runs as I find roads boring.Taking up running was the best thing I ever did and I,m getting better at it too lolimage.Go for it !!

• How long did it take you to train for that roeby you've made me more motivated than ever all I need to do now is get my lazy arse out there Thanks for great advice everyone. My achillies heel seems to be getting better too maybe soon I won't have to run like king Kong in slow mo.image

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

I was 42 last year when I started last year (and had 2 dodgy achillies at that time - still do image). First half marathon was after about 8 - 10 weeks. Just need to take it steady, build up the mileage slowly, and accept that recovery might be a little longer than someone half your age! Keep an eye on achilles problems, and try to keep flexibility in the calves, and maybe look at doing some strengthening work

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Took up running at 40 when I had to get an operation on a shoulder so couldn't play rugby. in the last five years have got into double figures in marathons, as well as a 40miler, along with various halves, 10k's etc along the way. Didn't intend to keep it up, it was just a means of staying fit. It got kinda addictive though, " I can go faster/harder/stronger. Next time....." image

Injuries? Yep, got a few, mainly hangovers from rugby. Have strained the odd thing here and there, still going.

We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw.

Or put more simply by Rosamunde Pilcher

You don’t stop doing things because you get old.
    You get old because you stop doing things.

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • I'm 48 and really only took it up consistently this year!  I flirted with running many years ago - and only ever stuck to it for a couple of months at a time.  Now I jog every couple of days and enjoy it.

You're not too old at all! 

• I've had the privelage to see Fauja Singh at a couple of races and he goes from strenght to strenght and a lot older than you when he started.

As long as your senisible if that's the right word for it and don't try to half kill yourself by overtraining at first and getting injured it doesn't matter what age you start. image 

• roebyroeby ✭✭✭

Hi homer, I started with a 5k , then moved on to a 10k in the summer , then did my first half in the March afterimage