Sub 3h15

Comments

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Eh! I've just been caught by my boss, looking at grown men covered in mud, cuddling each other.

Not sure what that makes me. I'll start with slightly embarrassed.

Great idea with the tandem, Also-ran.
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Lorenzo in particular I think will be interested in this: 

I received an email a couple of weeks ago from none other than Charlie Spedding inviting me to take part in a research study with Newcastle University: ''Impact of antioxidants on exercise induced oxidative stress in athletes''  image Its a four month project which involves lots of eating of blueberries and testing (every two weeks).  As part of it I get a VO2 max test, (I'm going to see if I can also get LT test), ECG, dietary analysis etc.   It starts in a couple of weeks time.  image 

I told a little white lie when asked about the amount of alcohol I drink so I'm currently drying out..... image

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Yes I was just thinking you were a bit of a wimp Minni image

Any event that involves mud or obstacles is of zero interest to me. But I know some club members who did it and really enjoy this sort of stuff.  Personal choice I guess.

Gul, they are my wife's poles so I thought it would be a bit more energetic than a morning walk and borrowed them. Apart from feeling self conscious and dreading seeing any of my running pals. they were great fun to use and you can really can shift with a bit of practice.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Minni: I'd be happy to be force-fed blueberries at someone else's expense in the name of science!

3k at open track race tonight.  Legs are still pretty mashed from Sunday, so should be interesting...

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Good luck Jools.

Is it just blueberries or also other forms of 'super fruit' Minni? I reckon it would be worth it just to get Charlie Speddings signature on his autobiography.

I think sometimes the problem with running / cycling / triathlon is that it is easy to get caught up in racing - either a mate, rival or just trying to beat a course pb. Some of these 'tough' style events are a good alternative where getting round either as an individual or as a team is the objective. Certainly the 2 events I have enjoyed the most this year were the Tough Mudder and the LDWA - both of which I ran round with others rather than trying to get the most out of myself. I also found that after completing both of these events my enthuasim and motivation levels were refreshed.

However I do agree with PMJ about the marketing of 'tough' to the masses and that events like Tough Guy and Tough Mudder charge a premium price for what is just an adults obstacle race. That said, SJs event looks nuts! image

• Minni - I am sooo jealous. Blueberries are well nice, and free testing too. No need to dry out though, surely? Mr Spedding dreamed up his training plan over a pint in the pub. 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I'll drink to that image

• Mud - yes. Obstacles - no. But each to his or her own, so I won't be judgmental. As long as people are out there having fun, who cares what they're called and what people's motivation for taking part is?

Minni - mmm, blueberries. Could definitely be tempted. Can I take part in the test from a distance?

Good luck tonight Jools.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Stupidly forgot to start my watch and although I tried to do maths in my head from our coach shouting out splits at the 200m point my brain gave up.  I know I went out a bit hard for 10.5x (84s first lap) and suspect I paid the price for that: 11.00.8...  Still a teeny PB (it was 11.01!) but a bit gutted, especially as I had to run in lane 2 for a bit as I was lapped (mixed race).

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

skipped my run this morning- 4.5 miles skipped with poles. Getting a bit quicker 13.20 pace today.

Nice PB Jools- just take it

• Keir wrote (see)

Certainly the 2 events I have enjoyed the most this year were the Tough Mudder and the LDWA - both of which I ran round with others rather than trying to get the most out of myself. I also found that after completing both of these events my enthuasim and motivation levels were refreshed.

LDWA and Tough Mudder are as far apart as you can get. I am looking at doing a LDWA marathon this September, http://www.chilternmarathon.org.uk/, and it is £5 in advance, £7 on the day, and includes food and a certificate at the end. May interest AlsoRan.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Tough talk, guys. Me, I'm a wimp. And PMJ has just reminded me that my car's MOT is due. Oh no, that's DVLA!
    OO - I think it was TAR asking about the poles - not that I'm not interested, you understand!
    Jools - congrats on the PB. Sub 11 next time.
    4 recovery miles d&d.

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭
    Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)
    Keir wrote (see)

Certainly the 2 events I have enjoyed the most this year were the Tough Mudder and the LDWA - both of which I ran round with others rather than trying to get the most out of myself. I also found that after completing both of these events my enthuasim and motivation levels were refreshed.

LDWA and Tough Mudder are as far apart as you can get. I am looking at doing a LDWA marathon this September, http://www.chilternmarathon.org.uk/, and it is £5 in advance, £7 on the day, and includes food and a certificate at the end. May interest AlsoRan.

Probably not for me in September PMJ - think I am down for Maidenhead HM that weekend.

Talking about events as far apart as you can get, whilst my mind is FUBAR, I may take up a grand stand treadmill at the gym and try a sub 3 marathon while the cricket is on.

Gave up on the chiropractor - wanted to manipulate my jaw so I just decided to run and run

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Hmm.  Have just received notification that, for the half I'm running at the end of next week (which is admittedly a hilly trail one - organised by the same people who did last week's 10k), it will be mandatory to be able to carry 500ml of water, so I'll either have to carry an empty 500ml bottle, a 'donut' or run with a small rucksack.  I kind of get the point, after a guy collapsed at the 10k (presumably due to dehydration) but kind of don't, as it is only a half marathon and there are water stations.  Part of the point of entering a race rather than doing a training run was precisely because then I don't have to carry water for myself!

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

That's really quite bizarre. Sounds like an excuse for (a) not having enough water stations, and (b) not encouraging runners to use their brains and take responsibility. 

On second thoughts, it's not bizarre, it's just p*** poor.

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

I wonder if this is going to be something which organisers insurers will insist upon if the temperature rises above a certain point. Perhaps we will all soon be required to run with camel backs.

This does remind me of an amusing moment on Sunday's run when the lady we were with said 'If either of you guys need a drink I have plenty in my bladder'

I wonder if you could get away with a plastic bag in your pocket Jools. After all, if required you could technically carry 500ml of water in it.

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

My sentiment precisely Keir, but the alternative is that without such stipulations and grossly risk averse interventions by said insurers they would simply refuse to insure and then we would lose hundreds of events. Doesn't make it right and it is p*** poor without doubt, but in this where there's a blame there's a claim mercenary ambulance chasing culture expect more of the same and races to start getting cancelled during the summer.

I take it they said you must carry a receptacle capable of holding 500ml at all times?

Convalescing quite nicely with a beer presently.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

A friend of mine who has a running shop said that the big thing for next year is squashy water bottles made out of similar stuff to the bladders, so they're not bulky when empty. 

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Minni, I did a half marathon in Africa a few years ago where the temperature peaked at 37c and they had those water sac's that you mention. They are easy to carry and it doesn't affect your form when running. I hardly ever run with water even in this baking sunshine.

Been taking some time out from work in this sunshine and starting to do some semi decent mileage again. 6.5 miles Sat, 10 Sunday, Monday off , yesterday 3 miles up a very steep hill and dip in the sea afterwards and 4 miles tonight at 6:55mm pace in an attempt to shake off last nights red wine and champers. Really enjoyed the run tonight but was baking hot. Forecast is looking great for the next few weeks but tough on racers. 5K race next Tuesday for me. Sister over from Belgium, boy did they get lucky with the weather!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Surerly they should advise or strongly recommend the water. Or like like the GNR provide a stockpile at the start for those who want. But compulsory sounds daft and unenforcable anyway  

• Evening.
    Instead of pratting about on the web I had mentally prepared myself for a decent run. OK at 30 degrees it was never going to be fast, so I decided to make it different. Just 15.5 miles and I took it to the hills. We do have half decent hills in the Cotswolds, my first at mile 3 was 1:5 and was a good half mile long. After that it was a question of finding 1:6 hills for fun. I must find out how much climbing there was, apart from lots. It was only after 14 miles that I suddenly realised that there was a disconnect between HR and effort. Yup, I was starting to overheat. Oh well, what do you expect for 2h30m in the heat?

Out of interest, I took 500ml of water with me, and bought another half litre after 10 miles. That was used up by mile 14 and I would happily have drunk another half litre.

If Jools really doesn't want to carry the weight (which would be a significant percentage vs her body weight), she could take the bottle and tip it out within the first mile.

• Map my run says 935 ft of climbing and 3 officially graded climbs.

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Talking of hilly Cotswold runs Blisters - I'm back in Glos mid August and fancied running this race. Have you run it / do you fancy running it?

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Keir wrote (see)

Perhaps we will all soon be required to run with camel backs. 

I, for one, would certainly get the hump.
    Good running from GM and Blisters.
    I might have difficulty making the Peterborough HM now, so looking round for alternatives. Grunty Fen (cracking name) is a possibility, except I said that I would be available to preach in the morning - so not sure yet. It's also 5 weeks earlier so that would throw my schedule into chaos. If neither of them work out then I might need to find a HM on a Saturday or try Norwich at the end of November (again not a good day though). Ho hum.
    Training continues in any case. 10M @ 6:53 m/m.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Gul -  You have a great base fitness and seem to be well on target for a sub 90 half. 10 miles @ at 6:53 pace is moving some. You sound ready to me now nevermind November. Hope you find an alternative that suits. With you also on the camel back debate!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

That's a very quick 10 miler Gul- didn't realise you were in such good shape.

I'll be leaving for a week holiday in Sorrento tomorrow- not plan to do much but the kit is packed....and the glasses image

• Gul - Please allow me to apologise on behalf of the thread.  Obviously, we've all let ourselves down and, quite frankly, I'm truly embarrassed by our ingratitude.  It's now almost 5 hours since your cute little gag and you still haven't received so much as a smiley face in appreciation. 

I hope that, in time, you'll find it in your heart to forgive us.

Shame your chiropractor was no help, Also-ran.  It's the only thing to have helped me, after 18 months of badness (different chiropractor, obviously).

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Great running Gul.

I was out on my run this morning thinking how no one commented on ARs planned sub 3hr marathon on a treadmill. I'm not sure if I could cope with watching cricket for 3 hours!

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Yes - need a new strategy, as watching some highlights during a 10k easy run with the aircon bust was challenging enough. I am relying on the cricket to zone me out, but perhaps there is some other sport in August that would suit better.

Was a nice pacey 10m from Gul.

TAR - well to be fair I haven't given the chiropractor a proper go. I'm a reluctant cynic, and 6 sessions of jaw fiddling while I eased off the running for a few weeks didn't push the right buttons.  Back to strengthening work for now.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

my pal turned up for a Sunday run recently wearing a camel back, we all took the Mick out of him relenentlessly (no least for the sloshing about noises he was making). Needless to say he hasn't worn it again...