Mentors and Mentee's thread 2014

Comments

• I'm available if needed. image

I've done 2 IM's and am doing my second attempt at the Double next year.

I took up tri's 3 yrs ago at the age 47, previous to that I had done 1 marathon and absolutely no cycling. I know what it's like to struggle on the bike and I still hate hills!

I met the pirates in Sept 2009 when doing Nantwhich sprint tri, thinking I might complete an Oly in the following year, They spun their magic, I completed Outlaw 11 months later. I had a fab mentor and can really recommend using one, She was similar in age and ability and that definitely helped.

To summarise; I'm female; old; slowish but happy to help

• I am available to any wear country newbies who want any advice be it training or technical I have 6 IN a behind me and am a mid packet PB 11:13 don't mind what level you are as long as you are fully committed and willing to work hardimage

• That's West Countryimage

• He's old ...  you have to be used to dealing with old people who cant drive a computer  image

• is an IN one up from a IM......maybe a IronNedimage

• I have been on a number of the Pirate trips since 2005, most recently in Lanzarote and am happy to provide my perspective/experience. I am contemplating Nice next year. I suspect that this would be of most use to those born before 1965 as I am of 1950s vintage and I have found that there is a need to manage your effort differently as you get older.

I do not come on the forum very often so best way to get me is to PM me. 

• Blimey Dermot !   You only usually appear when there is a race looming  image

• Indeed  - fair point. I have a bit of spare time at the moment and I saw this thread and thought there may be some more elderly members of the community needing assistance!

I had originally come on to see if there is a plan for Nice next year as was talked about after Lanza. I think this works for me.

• Nice is most certainly the plan for next year, hopefully you wont have to wait quite so long for me this time !!

• M...eldy you might have a cheeky pm... image

• Also willing to help mentor if anyone wants,  very much lower midpack finisher in 4 IM finishes,  will be racing again next year after an IM sabbatical.
    Like a lot on here,  juggling busy job & family life with my training.
    Surrey / Sussex based so mentees at this end of country would work best,  as I still like traditional communication methods!image

• You haven't phoned for months mate!image

• PSC wrote (see)

You haven't phoned for months mate!image

My sabbatical included not talking to you!! 

• I would be very gracious of a Mentor to kick my ass,

IMUK2014 is my target, started some training last 4 weeks with a background in distance cycling ( so need to increase speed there ) .

Lancaster based and willing to give you some awesome images in return 

( professional portrait and fashion photographer ) . 

• joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

I'd be happy to mentor someone, but as I'm tired and grumpy most of the time I might not be very good at it.

Credentials - done a few IMs and I occasionally go swimming with Meldy......

• joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Yikes - x-post with gazhilla - definitely not hankering after fashion photography! 

• Oh me neither. Definitely not!

*applies lip gloss* image

• Hey Jaffa, how about me as a mentee? If I don't decide I hate IM after my first one this year I'd like to a) improve b) combine with training for a 50 mile run and c) improve my marathon time to get somewhere close to my PB. Can offer home baked cakes and an ability to drink cider and red wine as an incentive?

• gazhilla wrote (see)

I would be very gracious of a Mentor to kick my ass,

IMUK2014 is my target, started some training last 4 weeks with a background in distance cycling ( so need to increase speed there ) .

am i the only one who now has the image of a pirate calender done in the form of calender girls........

Meldy wearing nothing but her hair and a pair of sunglasses

Barley just wearing his aerohelmet for modesty

Mr f would have to grow his beard a bit more

who wants to sport the pirate visor

and Plum can just sport the pirate buff........he has experience in that line

• I'm happy to help out - still a carp swimmer but getting towards mid pack, not too bad on the bike (but not up with OC these days!) and reasonable runner.  I'll probably be back to my routine of spring marathon & summer IM next year.

• I'm in manchester, like Jaffa, mid pack IM finisher, 3 times, happy to help out anyone northwest ishimage

• seren nos wrote (see)
    gazhilla wrote (see)

I would be very gracious of a Mentor to kick my ass,

am i the only one who now has the image of a pirate calender done in the form of calender girls........

Meldy wearing nothing but her hair and a pair of sunglasses

Barley just wearing his aerohelmet for modesty

Mr f would have to grow his beard a bit more

who wants to sport the pirate visor

and Plum can just sport the pirate buff........he has experience in that line

• joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Seren - is it too late to delete your post..........image?!

• I'll be looking for a mentor again this year, my aim is for IM again in 2014, hopefully Wales if it gets a license, intend to work on the bike over the winter with hill sessions being a paticular target, aim to get off the bike fresher to actuaklly use my running ability. Also like a under 38min 10k, and under 17min 5k, 1:30 half and 3:30 Marathon in the winter season, so was thinking of some tempo run work..... Anyone like a Badger to beat for a year. 

• HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭

TB I think Cheerful Dave might be a very good fit for you?

• I would reiterate what Meldy has said.
    We're still only part way through the 2013 season - some of us havent done our A races yet! If you want a mentor, I would advise you spend some time on the forums and get to know a few people. There are several very different, very successful formats for mentoring, but I think it works best when there is some degree of shared philosophy - or at very least you get on ok! For every successful partnership, I know of one which was a total disaster, but the ones which have been most successful have been based on a degree of friendship. It's not speed dating.

• Another potential mid-pack mentor here.  5 Iron-distance finishes from a just sub-12 at Outlaw (PB) to 14:25 at Lanza this year (PW).  Surrey based.

• H

Britrisky wrote (see)

Just to +1 for what Meldy said - I had a mentor last year, having first read a lot of posts and posted a bit and done an oly tri ...

I got Fink, read it over and over, spent a looong time with bits of paper saying "Swim" "Bike intervals" "Long run" and the like on, moving them around on a typical working week to work out where all the sessions would fit in. I got OH on board and to agree with my plans ...

Then I ran this past my mentor, who suggested a tweak here and there, and I was off. For me it really helped to have someone to offer a bit of advice about different stuff now and again, and sometimes just to tell me what I was doing was good. 

And then I did Outlaw, and want to do it again ... and a public thanks to Running Postie!

imageAAimage

Im happy to take on another mentoree!

• Hi Guys

liking the topic and would love help on my ironman journey.  My wife and i are both newbies, both in are 30's and live in the North West. So you will have both of us to push and take the piss out of! image

just a warning, I love a challenge (in 4 weeks I have improved my swimming from 50 meters to 2400 meters finishing in 50 minutes)

Plus I'm still playing rugby (union) this season, just so I can keep my beer drinking to a competitive level In preparation for PSOF gatherings.

• Happychap wrote (see)

TB I think Cheerful Dave might be a very good fit for you?

Thanks HappyChap.... image

I will PM with details ASAP.