Peanut Punch! - a good recovery drink?

Hello,

I have been looking for a tasty recovery drink that I can take with me places easily. I'm not a fan of chocolate milk. Today I was looking in the Caribbean section in Tesco and found a drink called 'Peanut Punch'. Has anyone heard of this drink before? I was wondering if it would be a good recovery drink following a run.

here is the nutritional info for a 240ml carton:

cal 200

Fat 8g

carb 27g

sugar 25g

protein 8g

sodium 140g

potassium 480mg

Any ideas?

Comments

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

sodium 140g image

Hopefully a typo? it is around the right ratio of carbs to protein  (3:1)  found in most recovery type drinks.

What sort of fat is it. 8g could be ok, or could be high. Most commercial recovery foods/drinks are low in sat. fats

• Yeah sorry, typo as Intermanaut's link shows - it should be 140mg of salt

Fat is 1.5g sat fat / 8g total fats.

I had one today after a run, it was delicious!

• 8grams of fat!!!! are you a recovering anorexic? get a pint of skimmed milk (or soya) and pour 50 grams of glucose in it and add any flavour/fruit  to taste.

• Sure, but not all fat is bad - peanuts are a very good source of monounsaturated fats, the same fats in olive oil and avocados, the type of fat that is encouraged in the heart-healthy Mediterranean diet. When you run hard and burn so much you need to recuperate fats just as much as other areas of the 'food pyramid'.......... Don't you? 

• I guess maybe its not perfect for a recovery drink. Though I may keep drinking it because it is delicious! 

Can anyone suggest any other 'over the counter' recovery drinks? As I mentioned, I'm not a fan of chocolate milk and I know you can always rely on lucozade and the likes, but was wondering if there was anything else that may work well. Something I could just pick up from a supermarket or corner shop.

??

Pete

• How far do you run?

• Hi Intermanaut,

I'm 10k training. Training runs vary from 15 to 20k with hills, long intervals and drills mixed in. 

My hope is that I can pick something up and sling it in my bag, as I run when I can.

Thanks

Pete

• Why are you running so far to train for a 10k?  Whatever, you don't need a specific recovery drink - take water.

• You do need a recovery drink if you want to recover as quickly as possible. If I was drinking those as a recovery drink I'd want at least 5 for 135 g of carbs an quotient of protein. Considering 600g of carbs a day is mentioned in the runners world book 135g is a bit meagre.

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

I think I may be a bit old fashioned - after running I have a spot of breakfast / lunch / dinner. I don't get too hung up on the 'must refuel in 30 mins after exercise' thing. Having said that, I dId treat myself to a Mars Milk on Monday after a marathon distance treadmill run at the gym image. Maybe recovery is the next thing I need to tackle - I have a carb rich diet but am a bit low on the protein.

Seth - is there a potein grammes figure  in that book - I would be interested to see where I am. Thanks

• Just to clarify, it doesn't need to be a drink, The ratio is 3 parts carbs, 1 part protein.

And 50 to 100g of carbs within 15 mins of finish. That's why a drink might be best.

As for day to day nutrition it recommends 2500-4000 calories per day for 68kg runner. 60% carbs. Elsewhere it compares a high fat diet to low fat one both had 12% protein, one was 38%fat the other 15% of calories. Giving 50,38,12 and 73,12,15.

So I guess that's about 120g of protein a day. You said you eat a lot of home made bread, stuff that down your gullet with a bit of milk to wash it down-

There is a book that recommends 80-10-10 ratio, I haven't read it but a guy who calls himself The Fruitarian on youtube follows it with good results.

• So the drink has the right protein/carb ratio (more or less) but isn't enough quantity to warrant a recovery drink. We're looking at about 75gcarbs : 25 grams protein as a rough guide 3:1. 

I try not to get too caught up in the amount of grams and  percentage intake. I just try to eat healthy, fruit, veg, cereals, meat and fish. However you can't help think "Is my performance/body suffering" when you read all this advice in books, magazines and (ahem..) forums.image

How much effect do you think it actually has in real terms for a non pro/elite/Olympic athlete? 
  • The idea is to recover quicker so you can train sooner, depends how often you train and what your personal recovery rate is. Most recreational runners, myself included, aren't pushing the boat out much of the time so who knows. Certainly won't harm following the advice though, I hope.

It isn't my advice just have a look in the Amby Burfoot runners world book.