Minimum to get round an Ironman

2»

Comments

• It's so hard they're putting floating cocktail bars in the swim now, and each swim wave will only have 2 other people in case you bump in to each other.

•  can do it, then so can I - sadly that principle doesn't hold for an IM.  

it needs a recognition that an IM is fucking hard work; some are more gifted than others; many are more committed than others; and being a wannabee is not the way to approach it.

i think i would have to deem myself a wannabe - purely because i havent undertaken an attempt at an ironman.

do i think it will be hard work? of course. do i plan to get round? of course. do i think i am the most gifted person? not in the slightest but if i follow a plan and stick to it will that be the bare minimal for me or the maximum?

• Who knows?

That may not be the most helpful answer, but it's true nonetheless. As an example, I think I'm right in saying that WildWill did his first IM in Frankfurt 06, the same as me, so we have about the same amount of long-term base. Nowadays he does some far bigger sessions than me; over the years, I've learnt that too much training will break me, whereas it works well for Will. If we followed the same training plan, he'd probably be undercooked and I'd be crocked.

And this is why I'm opposed to the current vogue for slavish adherence to Fink. Not only does one size fit no one, but it teaches you nothing about how your own body reacts.

• fat buddha wrote (see)

and that sadly is where a lot of people are deluded - they really have no idea of their ability, or lack thereof.  they see X friend doing one and think - if they can do it, then so can I - sadly that principle doesn't hold for an IM.  

it needs a recognition that an IM is fucking hard work; some are more gifted than others; many are more committed than others; and being a wannabee is not the way to approach it.

i had a chap in my place today and got talking about what he does and i mentioned the double iron, after i told him the distances he turns round and says - yea i think i could swim that far - i was a life guard and swam a mile before, he used to bike a bit so thought he might be able to do the 232 miles in the saddle and the run he definately could do because he used to go to the gym 6 days a week. i left it at that image

• There's no "one size fits all" answer. I finished my very first IM race in 15:51 back in summer 2000 and have never been able to finish another.

• I'll agree completely with the, one size doesn't fit all, I know someone who did no more than 8 hours a week to complete their first IM and someone else who completed the same race on over 20 hours a week, there you go, stats prove everything

• Crash Hamster wrote (see)

Who knows?

That may not be the most helpful answer, but it's true nonetheless. As an example, I think I'm right in saying that WildWill did his first IM in Frankfurt 06, the same as me, so we have about the same amount of long-term base. Nowadays he does some far bigger sessions than me; over the years, I've learnt that too much training will break me, whereas it works well for Will. If we followed the same training plan, he'd probably be undercooked and I'd be crocked.

Are you trying to give me a reputatition as someone who trains? image

• Doner Kebab wrote (see)

i had a chap in my place today and got talking about what he does and i mentioned the double iron, after i told him the distances he turns round and says - yea i think i could swim that far - i was a life guard and swam a mile before, he used to bike a bit so thought he might be able to do the 232 miles in the saddle and the run he definately could do because he used to go to the gym 6 days a week. i left it at that image

Based on what he said, there's every possibility that he could finish a double.  Problem is, he has no clue about the amount of training needed to do it, even starting from a reasonably fit base.  That's where the delusion lies.

I know there's a bit of a vogue for going straight to IM, even as a first triathlon, but for me I'm glad I did the Vit first because it left me with no illusions about how much training would be needed for the full distance.

• WildWill wrote (see)
    Crash Hamster wrote (see)

Who knows?

Are you trying to give me a reputatition as someone who trains? image

I might be, Mr 7k swim set person image