Frankfurt Marathon 2013

Sup. 

Anyone done this race & have any good advice/recommendations for the weekend & race itself?   Would be interested to hear about hotels in particular.

Thanks.  

Comments

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Hi Murpheous.  I've entered this one, my first time too.  I know a couple of people who have done it and it is apparently flat, very well organised and the finish is indoors!

I am staying in the Hotel 'An Der Messe' which is here..

Westendstr. 104, 60325, Frankfurt am Main - Westend

It is very close to the start/finish area so anything in this area will be handy.   

• Thanks Wardi, that hotel is a bit pricey for me, booked into the the Concorde near the station. 

Anyone else signed up? Finish looks....interesting.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Yes, the finish is what swayed me!  I did London 11 years on the trot and fancied a change.  Al P from the sub 3 thread is booked in & Slokey Joe from the sub 3:15 thread is tempted so far.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Hi all, I'll be doing this image looking forward to it! Not sure about hotels - I have a few friends that live there so will try to crash there.
  • JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

I'm in too. Staying at the NH Die Villa Frankfurt Messe.

But to be honest, trying to forget about marathons for the next few months now VLM is over!

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Nice one EmmyJohnas, welcome aboard. 

If you look on the results section from last year nearly every runner has a personal video - quite useful for a few snapshots of the course (not to mention the finish!)

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Thanks Wardi. Just had a look on the videos and there's actually one of the whole course (speeded up obviously). Not the most scenice of courses but mighty flat!

• PCleasbyPCleasby ✭✭✭

Nice to see a Frankfurt thread. I was too shy to start one. I'm in too. Also staying at Frankfurt Messe. I know Stephen Malcolm will be joining us too. Johnas, I wish I could be as traumatised as you with a 2:42 mara and an 8 min pb! You ran a fantastic race. image

• PCleasbyPCleasby ✭✭✭

Emmy you can be in charge of choosing the post race bar.

• Hello everybody,

I'm joining you lot on the streets of Frankfurt too in October.  I do  like to run different races in different places and am working my way round the big marathons in Germany.  I've done Berlin, Munich and Dusseldorf in the past and Frankfurt and Hamburg are still on the list of ones to do before the legs go.  I do like something a bit out of the ordinary and the indoor finish on the red carpet is certainly different.  The Germans also get uber excited when they are supporting and running there tends to be really good fun if none of you have been there before.

I can't remeber where i booked (that concorde place sounds familiar) but got a really good weekend deal of 3 nights for about £100 in a 4 star hotel near the start and the finish which I thought was fab.  I've been to Frankfurt before and its a really nice place to go for a few days and if someone was to send me to work for months or years I'd snatch their hand off it looks a fab place to stay.  There isn't that much to see compared to Berlin or Munich so a weekend is about long enough. I wouldn't go for a fortnight if you really like sightseeing.  I'm going to go on a bit of a road trip after the race and head to Luxembourg via Triere.  Its amazing how far £300 and a few airmiles courtesy of the leccy bill folk can get you for 7 days.  If anybody is taking the family with them although it looks handy for the start avoid a square about 4 streets east and 4 streets north of central station as there is a pretty big and sleazy red light district which is pretty much confined to that area.  Don't worry if you have booked in that area like most German cities it is safe to walk about anywhere in the city centre but its not really somewhere I'd like to stay with the wife and kids if I had a wife and kids!!!

Thankfully its a few months off to Frankfurt.  I'm having a bit of a break after running London last week which was one marathon too many without a proper break.  Think I'll have some fun stuff for a wee while and run a few 10ks this summer it feels like ages since I've done that as I've lurched from marathon training to marathon training for about 15 months solid now.  A 10k will hurt my lungs but feel like a rest.

See you all about for the next few months image

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

KW and Stephen Malcolm in the house... better remember to pack my drinking boots then!

Emmy - pub criteria must include KW's favourite tipple - Jagermeister.

Welcome Caniggia. I think you've just described the area my hotel is in! Can't be as bad as when i stayed in the Reeperbahn in Hamburg though.

• Don't worry Johnas you are well away from the red light district at NH Die Villa.image

Even if you were its not really a problem and goes hand in hand with staying near the central station of most cities it just came as a surprise to me when I booked a hotel right across from the train station the last time I was there to find I was right on the edge of hookersville.  Its not unsafe as there are so many folk passing through that area to and from the station just not what you would necessarily want to have your kids wandering through or looking out their hotel window at!!!!

Pub criteria should also include it not being that "pub/local brewery" that only sold that bouffing apple wine stuff.  It tasted absolutely rank!!!! image

• PCleasbyPCleasby ✭✭✭

Leaving Mrs J at home will no doubt improve everyones prospects of avoiding the hangover from hell. image For a nurse she sure knows how to inflict pain. image

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Apple wine sounds dodgy, I think I'll stick to the Clausthaler for my post race tipple!

I will be just turned 56 come Frankfurt so I think the new VLM codgers sub 3:20 GFA time will be my initial target.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

alcohol free Wardi? i'm not sure that's allowed.... On a separate note, you've got some speed for a 'codger'. Nice target

Caniggia - I'm kind of partial to the Brauhaus. Love a good German beer me.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Cripes Johnas, I'd forgotten that Clausthaler was alcohol free, well reminded!  One of those enormous steins of proper lager will be the order of the day once I've finished.

I ran 3:03 as a 50 year old but sadly old father time has slowed me down in recent years.  Looking forward to this one though.  Your 2:42 sounds nippy, how were the splits?

• Hello! Johnas, I'd forgotten about the shots, oh dear. I'm staying in the NH Frankfurt Messe, across the road from the expo. It'll be good to catch up with you, KW and others pre and post race. Thankfully it's a good while before thinking about training for this.

Emmy, seems you have been appointed entertainment officer!  Can I second Johnas' request for a Brauhaus?image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Keyboard_Worrier wrote (see)

Emmy you can be in charge of choosing the post race bar.

The one closest to the finish? image

Johnas wrote (see)

Emmy - pub criteria must include KW's favourite tipple - Jagermeister.

I'll give it my best shot!

Hello all! I'm still not getting notifications so i'm never sure when it's being updated or not. How is everyone's training going?

• Training is off Emmy.  Legs sore and tired after Goofy Challenge and London a couple of weeks ago was just one marathon too many.  Plenty of time until Frankfurt. The creaking will hopefully have gone away by then!!!!! image

I seem to remember a very nice wee pub on the corner of the Romer and enjoying quite a few fine German beers in the sunshine.  I had a wee week off with nothing planned after the edinburgh marathon one year and got a return trip with ryanair for tuppence.  I had no great desire to go to Frankfurt at the time but as it was costing me 1p each way I thought why not.  My legs gave up on me in the vacinity of that pub and the more I drank the less inclined I felt to take my leggies back to the hotel.  I'm a reformed character these days. image

The notifications don't seem to be working properly these days.  The only one that still works is my edinburgh marathoners past and present one which I have bookmarked from years ago but I don't think you can bookmark them anymore.  The followed thread ones don't seem to send any messages at all these days but having said that I will probably receive 1000 e-mails in my inbox tomorrow morning!!! image

• PCleasbyPCleasby ✭✭✭

I'd forgotten about the shots too! image

Training - I am at the carb loading stage which is a bit worrying as there are 5 months and three weeks to go. image

London is taking it's toll on my recovery, just a few short runs here and there with a couple of Park Run's to try and maintain some semblence of speed. 

• PCleasbyPCleasby ✭✭✭

Refound my running mojo oddly coinciding with a return to enjoying a few beers. A new 5k pb of 18:19 came as something of a shock

/members/images/522703/Gallery/A_little_shocked_photo.jpg

Anyone got a worse running phot than that?

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

100 days to go!

/members/images/496080/Gallery/frankfurt.jpg

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭

But where have all the dancing girls gone?? 

Did a hot 18 miler last weekend, good to get the first long one in the bank.

• Paul, I have many worse than that..............

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Wardi - you're out the blocks quick! Training starts next week for me

Stephen - i dread to think...

• Hi all,

can you collect your race pack on the day and if not does anyone know what time you have until on the Saturday to pick it up? It's just that I was planning on going on the Saturday but now I am not sure I will have time to pick up my number.

• No idea Herr Logik but if you find out and can't make it in time then I'd be happy to collet it for you and meet Saturday evening in Frankfurt. I'm at the Mercure hotel which is close to the start area. I did the same for another runner in Berlin 2 years ago and it's no great hassle.

Caniggia - How the hell are you? Not seen you in here for a while which is probably more about me than you but good to see that your going to be in Frankfurt.

I signed up many months ago now and started early with training. Already up to my 60th session and hoping to break 2:30 at last but will settle for the club record of 2:31 something and then go again at London next year for 2:30. 

I'll check in from time to time and look forward to post race beers at some point (oh, and dancing girls)

• Thank you very much MC Dave that is very kind of you but it's all sorted now and my friend is picking it up for me.

• No worries. If your plans change and you need me then give me a shout