IMUK 2013 Bonkers!

Comments

• SR - I am doing an organised event with my club The Endurance Store. The swim is at the 3 Sisters followed by the bike which is split in to groups, those who are hopeful of a sub 6 hr bike and the rest of us at 6.5 -7 hrs and over those over 7hrs. 40 people have registered so it should be good.

I am going to go with the sub 6 hr bike group and see how long I can keep with them before I get dropped. They won't be hanging around for any slackers.
  • Mrs FunkinMrs Funkin ✭✭✭

Joddly, I'm looking forward to cheering you on image I am looking forward even more to something that might happen the next morning...!

We went up a couple of weekends ago for a recce ride for funkin. There are a lot of beautiful places on the ride. I found a nice tea shop that did good Victoria sponge too heheimage

Beware the buoyancy shorts, I'm pretty sure they are on the "banned list"..!

• SR said -

I've been going out in the Flaswithout my wetsuit for the last couple of weeks and it is a whole other sport. It is easy to forget how much the wetsuit helps, especially on the longer swims.

Thanks for that mate, just what I wanted to hear.

Seren - Closer for those brave boys and girls attempting the L100 (105 miles) next weekend, it will be killer if the weather is like this. I'll be thinking of them at 70 or so miles climbing Fusedale. It will be interesting to see the drop out rate at Mardale Head.
  • joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Mrs F - great to know you'll be around! I didn't realise Funkin was playing. And as for the next morning, presumably you're talking about breakfast....?image

• Just recived this email from my open waters swim at Pennington

The temperature is currently ~ 23 degrees, and the Ironman could be a NON wetsuit swim.

You maybe aware that Buoyancy shorts are allowed.  You can purchase online at MyTriathlon or we will have them available to purchase at Pennington Flash from next Thursday .

I'd better start practicing without my wetsuite!

• Ok just read your post Woody and thats definitely sent the biggest panic through me so far.  Not in a non-wetsuit mental place, I wasn't tooooo worried about the swim now I am absolutely bricking bricks

• Just checked imuk website and it says....'wetsuits are mandatory' , that have not put anything about temperatures, so is this written elsewhere?

I

• joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

TT - go and have a bit of a swim about tomorrow without a wetsuit. You'll find it isn't as bad as you expect, just quite a bit slower. I was having the same panic, but once I had a go (last night), it has eased my mind a lot - though we'll be talking closer to 2 hours than I was budgeting for.

(Read back a page for the comment re wetsuits)

• non - wetsuit swim in the morning then, but the panic has taken hold now, ......I can't stop it!   Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!

image (non-wetsuit green face!)

• Sorry TT I'm sure will be ok, if it is none wetsuite everyone is in the same boat er... er I mean bouancy pants image

Think I'll change my plans for tomorrow and cycle to penny falsh swim the distance in tri shorts then straight out on the bike upto the loop for one lap, then home via sheephouse.

• Keep the faith everyone. It will cool down from late next week and rain is forecast which should help.
  •  I wouldnt worry about not wearing wetsuits. Worry about running a marathon after swimming 2.4 miles & cycling 112 miles image

"Wetsuits may be worn in water temperatures up to and including 24.5 degrees Celsius/76.1 degrees Fahrenheit. Athletes who choose to wear a wetsuit in water temperatures exceeding 24.5 degrees C /76.1 degrees F will not be eligible for awards, including World Championship slots. Wetsuits will be prohibited in water temperatures greater than 28.8 degrees C/84 degrees F."

& like mentioned earlier. Rules and regs for Bolton have said wetsuits are mandatory anyway. 

• joddly wrote (see)

Mrs F - great to know you'll be around! I didn't realise Funkin was playing. And as for the next morning, presumably you're talking about breakfast....?image

Yeah, I kept it fairly quiet (not bad for me seeing as though I entered it in October last year).  After riding the 'loops' a couple of weeks ago I was very impressed with the bike course.  Really nice with lots of variety.  I'm looking forward to visiting the hurt box in a couple of weeks time.

• Good info sausiedog, calmed me down........, 

it did take my focus of worrying about the bike and run, so I guess I can go back to back to that now!

Cant wait to be honest!

• No sea swim with or without wetsuit today, there's a stormy sea out there and a thresher shark in the bay.....dun dun..dun dun......dun dun dun dun!!

• SossigeDog wrote (see)
    & like mentioned earlier. Rules and regs for Bolton have said wetsuits are mandatory anyway. 

They wont be mandatory in the event that the water is above 24.5 degrees - the rule you have stated regarding temperature will be enforced and will superceed IMUK's preference to require everyone to wear a wetsuit.
    I really dont think its worth worrying about though. You'll find swimming in a lake without a wetsuit is exactly the same as swimming in a pool without a wetsuit.
    I would be wary of rushing off and buying expensive buoyancy shorts though - these are classed as "buoyancy aids" and are therefore prohibited.

funkin (5.) wrote (see)
    Yeah, I kept it fairly quiet (not bad for me seeing as though I entered it in October last year).  After riding the 'loops' a couple of weeks ago I was very impressed with the bike course.  Really nice with lots of variety.  I'm looking forward to visiting the hurt box in a couple of weeks time.

Hurrah! Me too!

• joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Flyaway & Funkin - well done for keeping it quiet! Flyers, I did wonder what your A race was, and you are obviously in great shape at the moment. 2 slots in your AG?

TT -  wise move - you don't want your leg bitten off just now image!.

The long term weather forecast is looking cooler in the North now - so now I'm off to dig out my neoprene cap and thermal rash vest.

• Did a lap at our local place without wetsuit.  It was much slower and I kept freaking myself out by suddenly remembering I didn't have a wetsuit on.  Not sure what I think is going to happen (ie I'm hardly going to drop to the bottom of the lake), but I am just used to knowing the bouyancy from a wetsuit is there should I start to feel a bit unhappy in the water.  

It's a bit cooler in the east today, although I know west is hotter and the temps forecast for next week are hot.  I'm hoping some thunderstorms and a last minute break in the weather might see us alright, but for now am just telling myself "it will be non wetsuit and so get used to it" and if it's not well big bonus (massive bonus).  

To be honest without a wetsuit I'll be really suprised if I make the cut off, but hey got to give it a go!

• i'm gonna try and catch the shark circling torbay at the moment...bring in up...release it into pennington flash then we should all swim round at a pretty good speed!

my panic about swim has gone cos evryone seems to be saying different stuff, yes buoyancy shorts...no bouyancy shorts...24Degrees manadatory, optional until 28degrees.   so i now have no idea whats right and whats wrong so panic over...worry about it on the day!

• Haha TT but then we'd be to knackered to carry on

Well I did 2 x 1100 mts in Pennigton flash this morning and tbh I recon I wasn't that much slower. Maybe a bit tougher on on your legs, keeping them near the surface but does make concentrate on maintaining an efficient stroke. you will probably gain in T1 some of the losses in the swim by not having to remove a wetsuit or Buoyancy shorts. I'm sure we will be fine and any worries are in your head not your ability.

Questions

Trusty pump only never used gas. Thinking I'm not likely to run out of  elbow grease, and pumps rarely go wrong. Having said that the bit you push on dropped off somewhere in the Big Woody. Trying to get to 80 psi pushing on what, would be best described as the point of a stiletto heal, was a bit painful, so I found a bit of wood in the gutter and managed with that.

Notifications have always been dodgy on here you can't rely on them.

• Good stuff woody, having not managed to get in the sea today, your swim sounds like it went well.

my bloomin track pump seems bust, just doesn't clamp on the thingy, maybe a bits come out of it or something.

i think my body has decided it is ready for tapering, last push for a 4 hr bike in morning....come on body, you can do it!

• joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Hi team, I hope everyone's had a good last weekend of big training. It's downhill all the way now - avoiding germs and eating well are the priorities!

I'm relieved to be feeling well again now, and did a respectable hilly TT this morning and short run off, so starting to feel good. Planning a bit more work on the swim next week, but otherwise I'll be using my extra spare time for catching up on housework!

Just to add a bit of excitement, I've just had an email confirming a roll-down slot in the Hyde Park World Championships in September. It'll only be my second Olympic distance and I really do need to learn to swim by then. I'm happy to admit it'll be a real buzz to race in GB kit, even if at the back of the pack!

• Well done Jo, Team GB eh!  Brilliant!

• great news Joddly..well earned

• Just looked at a 16 day weather forecast.......i'm not gonna say what it said but.....i'm not looking at anymore forecasts until Sunday 4th!

• Can't believe it's less than 2 weeks. 

TT - that's great thinking not worrying.  Whatever will be will be and we'll all deal with it then.

Another thing not to worry about - training.  If you haven't done enough now, anything you do in the next two weeks probably won't make a difference, so why waste energy worrying?

Just trying not to get ill or break a leg now image

• Mrs FunkinMrs Funkin ✭✭✭

I am looking forward to waving at least 3 people I know off to Kona on the Monday morning...won't that be exciting image  Well done on your other roll down, too, Joddly. Yay for Team GB kit - as for the back, yeah, whatever...!

• Right wetsuits...Just gone one better, I've phoned them!!! Wetsuits are compulsory up to 24.5degrees. Between 24.5 and 28 degrees they are optional but if you wear one you can't qualify for Kona etc. Over 28 degrees they are banned. That is not an official statement though!...so still almost as clear as mud

Chris

• I can get on the forum again!  what happened?????