Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Just woken up and, wait what's this? a relay victory for SG. Brilliant.

Relays can be awkward; unless like SG on this occasion you happen to be the fastest runner, "mow em down", or in my experience "be the mown down". Pace judgement exercise. Successful here, 'Well done!'

🙂

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Woken up from another sleep. So more carbo loading and drink to deal with. 

As you were guys.

So another 12 miles sorted. The policy of keeping over hydrated at all times appears to be paying dividends. Obviously inconvenient at times but better that than the alternatives.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Nice early posting Ric, and ta folks!

Watch strap is being fixed, so my 9miler was done to the route I think is that distance rather than the precise measurement. Made sure I did 1hr 03 to make sure it was over rather than any risk of under.

Didn't feel the knee so hopefully that was just a random brief thing that arose.

Load of deadlines today, so best catch up with here later!

Stevie S, how sure are you on Watford next Wed? I feel like I can't let you be within 20miles of me without meeting you!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Metros are holding a marathon on a running track on Saturday.

Drinks will be provided, Northwick Park Hospital just across the road. Men in white coats in attendance.

Madness!

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Indeed! I hope they reverse the runners direction every few hundred laps so they don't get dizzy image

Just recovering from a dosw of overnight stomach issues, so hoping to go out for a short, easy run in a mo....

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Well done all the track racers, even you all seem a little frsutrated.  Dean, the sub-2 will come I am sure, but maybe at the moment you just aren't used to an extended period of MD training/racing?  SS, I am looking forward to that sub-10 finally, it must be the most overdue target on this thread.

Well done to team Sandhurst, sweeping the board at the relays.  SG, what's all this turning up to club relay events all about then?  Are you getting back into a club mindset?  I tried to have a look at the results to see who we fielded (I think Mark S and Lance were there), but don't think they're up yet.

Good training by Bus and good to see Ric ploughing his own furrow so well.

I've been sick for the last few days.  This week's marathon training is a write-off.  Starting to feel a bit better-ish, but in all honesty I shouldn't have come to work today.

• Good race SG,

Shame about the track Dean - we all have off days. Learn from them and get stronger.

Bus - not related to your recent OW swim?

Sunday's run was too far, and Tuesday AM run I could still feel the achilled. I now know that at the moment I have to be up and active for a few hours before I can run. Today's 6km lunch run depsite being hot was not a problem.

Off camping with the kids tomorrow.

GWS Dachs!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dachs, more that I put a fb album up of past trophies, and thought I best put some more stuff in it!

Those were your top boys on the night, both 1hr 15 or capable of on peak, but obviously no you or Zattu. I'm sure it can be hard for a huge club to get runners who have their own agendas out for these at times.

My plan was meant to be a 3k and 5k in June, and the 2 relays in July. The 3k&5k were wrecked by that temporary easing off of hard work to get the pelvis back fine, but luckily got decent runs in at the relays...

• Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

2.5 mile tempo @6:00min/mile. Felt horrible. A few days rest now to claw back some energy.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

SS - I think a fair few of us are suffering energy wise at the moment. The heat and humidity is a bit insdious I reckon.

Iron - don't reckon it was the swim, as probably too long between - possibility though I gues. Hope that achilles starts to improve, but at least you ar back running , even if it takes a fair while to wrm up. You've picked a good time for camping! 

Dachs - hopefully your illness will have cleared for the weekends race. It might prove a blessing in disguise and provide a bit of a break in hard-pressed legs? Either way, better to get it out of the way now....

5M for me at lunch, with 5 x 0.25M fairly easy reps off 90 sec rec in 1:17, 1;19m 1;18, 1;18, 1;16. Hamstrings a bit sore again today, but I put that down to 6 hours of sitting down in training sessions yeseterday rather than todays run. Another day off tomorrow, but a proper one this time with only a couple of short bike rdes to the train station and back.

SG - what have you got planned race wise at the mo?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Stevie, sounds a good effort when worn out, so much so you missed my question on the prevo page image

Bus, fairly blank canvas, what you got for me? Should probably do a 3k and 5k soon though!

I did have vague ideas of finally getting to south wales to do this mental 1mile steep uphiller, the Murder Mile. It seemed actually doable this year as my mate Handsome Pete is semi-moved to Bristol, which is 20miles away...so could have been a stopover.

But he's working, so it's back to being a dream!!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps sorry Dachs missed the illness..is Sunday in doubt then? Hilly hot halfs in good shape are hard, if you're ill, might not be a good plan, unless you just fancy running it for old times reasons and at easy pace as a compromise?

• Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

Ha I totally missed it. I ;literally am losing all functionality! Yeah I'm doing Watford next Wednesday (most likely). Come down and see Caldwell 3K history! I'm 90% sure but will make a firm decision Sunday depending how recovered I feel.

The mix of training, the heat and it being the end of term (finish on Tuesday) is a tiring one.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Another pot to the collection SG, congrats. 

Hopefully the rest will see you right Stevie. 

I was due to run the Sale sizzler tonight but after recieving 3 phone calls today off the lad who I was supposed to be travelling over with (74 mile round trip) he eventually pulled the plug 15 mins before I was due to meet him. He wasn't keen at all in making the trip and running in this heat. I then ended up mulling it over for far too long before eventually just doing a session with my club. 

The worst thing is that it there's been a 5k on tues, wed and thurs this week and I've ended up not doing any. The next Sale one is in two weeks so another couple of weeks of training shouldn't do me any harm.

Running a half through an illness is a recipe for disaster Dachs. Especially a race. Then through this heat into the mix. :-/ 

• Hi Stevie.. You should take it easy for a few days, see how you are on Sunday, do a good run, then you'll be redy to tackle that 3000 next week. Sharon, my partner said you were on my shoulder for nearly the whole race so you are defo ready for the sub 10min pace.. Maybe all this hot weather training is taking it oit of you. 

I had an awful run yesterday if its any consolation. 6 this morning and a faster 5 this evening slightly better, but still not that great. 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

There seems to be a number of physical problems around at the moment. The general reasoning appears to be that the current heatwave might have something to do with it. From personal experience it has everything to do with it.

Here's something I came across a few minutes ago.

Jamie Pringle, an exercise physiologist, works with professional triathletes at the English Institute of Sport in Sheffield.

He says the fitter athletes are, the better they are able to cope with heat - and Tour de France leader Chris Froome is a good example.

"Training increases blood volume in the body and that's where you sweat from so someone like Froome will have 10-12 litres of blood in his body compared to six litres in the average male."

A serious athlete is going to build up high blood volume and can therefore sweat more and cool down more quickly and effectively when the going gets hot.

Pringle says we can all improve our ability to hold on to fluids by spending a week or two in a heat chamber and exercising on a treadmill.

The key is to listen to your body, Prof Havenith says.

"Most amateur runners naturally slow down when they get too hot, but there are always people who keeping pushing themselves further and that's when things go wrong."

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ric, most of us have a certain inbuilt ability to slow ourselves down naturally when the heat rises.

Chap at my old club wasn't blessed with this, and at least twice in marathons ran himself into the ground and had to be treated by the ambulance staff. Once I think he was hauled off to the hospital without finishing, and another time he spent about 2hours in a heap, before they let him continue and finish.

Sub 3 was his aim. Never did reach it, although he was on for it late on once.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

SG, it's one of the fact of life that some people consistantly over reach themselves.

A classic mistake ambitious runners make is to confuse 'loss of form' through 'over-training' with lack of fitness.

Had a guy in my club like that. Once he couldn't recover day to day he resorted to just speedwork and races. Subsequently just races. Subsequently the end of him as a runner in any capacity.

He could have recovered his form but his ego wouldn't allow it. 

Oh, easy 10 for me this morning.

🙂

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Thanks all, but I haven't made my mind up at all whether I'm running on Sunday.  It isn't a target race, so I shall just see how I feel on the day and take it from there.  There is of course the option of running it at marathon pace - I need a decent length MP run (it would have been in the schedule for this week), and running 6:00 mm pace may still get me a fairly respectable position (e.g. 4th last year).  Or of starting at MP and turning the pace on as and when I feel.

Of course, I did run a 10-minute PB at Wokingham last year after being off sick for most of the week...

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Sensible approach Dachs. A couple of my best races have been on the Sunday of a week when I've been ill. I've said it beore, but the forced rest can actually be a blessing in disguise, provided whatver made you ill has gone, and you've been able to eat and drink properly in the couple of days leading up to the race. Your Wokingham PB is an exceptional example!

The temperature for Sunday is looking a fair bit more pleasant for racing now anyway, and likely to be cloudy as well (though humidity could be an issue). 

• Run at lunchtime today, 7 in the bright sunshine. Nice but that is 4 runs for the week and 31 miles so I need 9 tomorrow and so will pad out the parkrun with 3 warm up and another 3 cool down to get the OCD 40 miles a week. Then off to USA, mid week 5k and then weekend 10k. Last time I raced out there it was over 100F so the last few weeks have been good preparation.

• Bluenose74Bluenose74 ✭✭✭

Dachs, you've got to do it, I was banking on you pacing me over the first 200mtrs before you disappear....

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Nice globetrotting as usual Jonesy boy.

Bluey, have him over 200metres, go on you know you want to!

Some irritation with the great Forerunner 405 currently.

Long story short, strap snapped off, bought a new strap, new strap won't go on, as some minor bit has snapped off the actual watch! Doh.

Looks like a new watch is the best option rather than sending it off and being without it for weeks and no guarantee it'll be fixed...

best 405 I can find is £122 next day delivery from Handtec.co.uk.

Anyone heard of them, or know of a cheaper one online?!

In the meantime i'm strapping it up with plasters! Annoyingly the guy in some watch shop I got to look at it, actually bodged the lower half of the strap too, meaning it now rocks 2 plasters!!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Never heard of Handtec, but you can get a garmin 110 for less than the price of fixing yours!

Philip - whereabouts in the US are you heading? What's the humidity like?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

not this time dash, seem to have a poor assortment!

Bus, you get used to the quality of the 405, although I realise I only use it for about 20% of the features, have never set a reps session on there!

• Just completed my entry for the VLM next year.

For some reason the e-mail says the following:

"Thank you for completing your 2014 Virgin Money London Marathon Championship entry."

I entered through GFA as def didn't get the championship qualification! Is this normal?

• Anyone see Mo beat Cram's 1500m record last night? 

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Tim - yes, apparently it's happened to everyone, probably because they only previously had championships entry online and have forgotten to edit the e-mail.

• Ah, ok, thanks Lit.. Got excited thinking I have been given a champ entry!