Sub 3h15

Comments

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Keir - I noted it, I thought (to myself) that AR was injured the other day. But it looks like he cut it short by 20M so fair play to him.

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

TR - I think I have some problems communicating with you as I don't talk in match sticks. I've been talking about a long term weakness, and how to address it - not about specific injury.  At the moment I'm running no more than 10 miles per run for a couple of weeks.  Don't worry though, I will be sure to let you know when I'm back to being unsensible burning my matchsticks, and keep you updated on the niggles and injuries on the right side.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

AR - matches not match sticks. You mentioned a treadmill mara, and then Keir did and then I did. I kind of regret mentioning the noting of it now now anyway. Keir and his big mouth !

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

no problem - Matches it is. For treadmill marathon that will be in two or three Tests time. Need to invest in multiple waterbottles before hand. 20 miles at a casual pace was hot enough.

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    AR- why was the chiropractor fiddling with your jaw?

Gul- you are going great at the moment, get racing.

It's a bit hot innit.

Only 6 sweaty miles for me at lunch and a few on the bike after work. Planning 10 early doors tomorrow with some at threshold pace.
  • Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Moof - she didn't get to have a fiddle image Assessed that my hips are out of balance one way, and upper back and neck the other. Seems to reckon that most issues stem from my head/neck. At the moment I can't afford to pay out for several sessions without believing / buying into the treatment. I'm managing a tight achilles and hamstring that keeps going into spasm when doing the fast stuff, so any spending I do will be physio/massage In the short term. 

• Blimey you lot are all crook. I must have missed the major league joke on the thread, but I've started to get it now. Who ever planned to run for 26 miles on a treadmill whilst watching an innings of the test match clearly knew just how badly England were going to collapse. 3 hours was about the limit of endurance before the Aussies took over.

Camel back/ getting the hump? Sorry Gul, just not corny enough. You'll have to do worse than that.

Moof: I think that you've got that indefinable "it" as well. Arse- gear- door. Yup boxes ticked.

I may turn up here tomorrow, but will be off for training camp/de-training camp soon. My run yesterday was a tester, and happily the body passed. Just the head to fix now. I think that it may be time to panic with 8 weeks to ironman.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

OO - hope you have a great holiday in Sorrento.
    TAR - I knew I could rely on you to spot my subtle and sophisticated humour. And although I was grievously injured, I graciously forgive you all.
    Please, please, no more mention of treadmill marathons!
    Moof - sadly, the nearest thing I'll get to a race in the near future is a parkrun. Hope the tempo run went OK.
    Blisters - I'll try harder next time. Happy camping!
    7 slow miles for me this morning.

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    TR wrote (see)

AR - matches not match sticks. You mentioned a treadmill mara, and then Keir did and then I did. I kind of regret mentioning the noting of it now now anyway. Keir and his big mouth !

image - I only mentioned it to give AR a bit of love! 

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    That's a shame Gul, as you're definitely on for a few PBs'.

Out of the door at 5.45 this morning for 10 with 4 at tempo. Using heart rate as a guide (90% max) managed to average 6.22 m/m pace. Not bad for me considering I haven't done much speed work lately.

I really struggled to keep my heart rate up in the correct zone and couldn't seem to turn my legs over quick enough.

So what does this tell me? My heart is in better shape than my running legs? Not a bad thing.

I'll add in a few sets of strides in the easy runs to help shake off the rust.
  • What, 7 miles before the heat of the day. Well slow. But arse was placed into gear, and shoved out of door. Job done. Grey miles. One day I'll think about training.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

running options look like they are limited to the treadmill but the hotel has a great pool. Oh and internet is free image

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Enough of that OO, I've been in a stinking hot factory all day.
  • FrazerelliFrazerelli ✭✭✭

Ahh..Sorrento. very nice indeed

keep grinding them outr Blisters. Remind me which IM you're doing

i struggle to get any sort of pace out of my legs erly morning Moof. Looks pretty good training to me

what's all this mentalist talk of a treadmill sb3 AR? Is this some sort of charidee thing?

-Agree you're looking in v good shape Gul. Get thee to a race line pronto sir

Mighty warm for training eh. Still determined not to miss any sessions though!

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

When are those puppy legs of your running their next HM Fraser?

I had planned to run 5m to the sea, have a quick dip then run home before work this morning, mainly for bragging rights. But daughter waking at 4.15am meant I missed some sleep and decided to roll over in bed at the crucial time. Still, this is supposed to be a rest week.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Just diving in to say to AR that you might find a small investment in a home ultrasound unit pays dividends with that Achilles of yours.  With a foam roller and a Pinkie ball, I have found the miracle three pronged approach to turning my chronic Achilles tendinosis around.  The ultrasound is useful on the tendon when it is irritated and, when it isn't quite so bad, then the calf/hamstring/wherever else up the chain that could do with some heat treatment.  10 mins each day does the trick for me although you can do up to 15 mins morning and night I am told.

Here is the link to a Pinkie ball (sorry am not good with clever links) http://www.amazon.com/BodyLogic-Super-Pinky-Ball/dp/B000T5ELEM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1374270357&sr=8-2&keywords=pinkie+balls

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Fraser - going through a mentalist time, and the treadmill mara was/is a part of a hypomanic blip where I turn from trundling through life  to Mr obsessive goal orientated bloke. Anyway, enough of worktalk image I'm sure you've had enough moaners this week. 

So what is the HM plan? I have Maidenhead and Nottm Robin Hood HM lined up. I was going to treat Maidenhead as a MP run, but saw last years time for  fastest local is within grasp with a bit of improvement. I could do with Moof to drag me round as he kindly did at Reading

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

I have just begun Week 1 of my return to running schedule and it feels so brilliant to actually run again.  Starting with a very steady run/walk approach for two weeks before I try a longer stint but I never thought I would run again at one point last year so am delighted.

Other news is that our return to the UK is not looking likely now which is rather disappointing.  However, I am planning some of the key races here in the US from the Big Sur Marathon to Chicago, NY and Boston, then a bit of Western States 100 action (as a pacer) so hopefully that will keep me busy for the next couple of years.  It would be nice if anyone wanted to plot to join me image.  I do miss Brit humour image.

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

MsE - that is interesting as I was googling home Ultrasound kits a couple of weeks back when my achilles issue started up again. I didn't come across much in the UK. I currently make a lot of use of a TP Footballer and Block over the past 6 months (http://www.tptherapy.com/Shop-Online/All-TPPT-Products/Starter-Set_2.html) This really helps reduce the tightness, and things then stay loose until I stop moving for any length of time.

On the subject of achillies, I have an invite to take part in some research into some form of shock wave therapy at Queen Mary Uni. I looked through the test protocol, and it requires fluid samples to be taken from behind the tendon throughout the course of the day . The prospect of a needle into the achilles sounds like a step too far in the name of researchimage

Edit.: Good to hear the good news on your return to running, even if it is in the USimage 

• Pacer duties eh? That means professional, which in turn means that you are an elite runner!

This thread rocks.

Bed now up early later. Or sooner.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Avon mobmatch last night on the towpath course.  Managed to hold for 39.55 (although split in a slightly optimistic 19.42 given the heat and course).  First sub-40 on that course and nice that so far this year I've been consistenly under 40 for the first time (although still some way off the low 39s I'd like, let alone the low 38s Mcmillan would predict!).

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

MsE - sorry to hear the return to the uk is on hold but it sounds like you've got some great race plans over there. My focus is turning to Comrades 2015 so opposite direction to you. However we're planning a holiday to the US next year and if I find myself in your area and there's a race on.....

En route to the capital for the Olympic anniversary 5m, around the Olympic park and finishing in the stadium. Mr Minni doing it too and mini Minnis have passes to spectate in the stadium. image

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Moof - nice tempo run.
    MsE - shame you probably won't be heading back to the UK. Some nice races lining up in the States though.
    Jools - nice course PB.
    16 slow miles to round off 54 mile week number 3. Recovery week next week and then I need to make a decision as to which HM to run.
    x-post Have fun at the Olympic park Minni.

• Morning all. I've not had much time to post lately but I have been trying to keep up with the thread! 

Jools - by my reckoning you've PB'd at 3000m and run a course PB in the space of 3 days. Nice going!

Minni - I'm a little jealous, sounds like fun. Glad you're back to running too. 

MsE - image Come back!!!! 

Very disappointing race on Wednesday for me. I got two stitches and was reduced to slower than MP in the 4th mile. However that does mean that Literatin and I go into the final race of the series next month on equal points at the top of the table, so we get a thread showdown and pretty much a guaranteed thread winner of the Notts league image

I rocked up to the hideously hilly Forest Rec parkrun this morning, wanting a blast out to make up for Wednesday. I ran 19.40 by my watch, which sounds pants compared to my 5k PB, but on that course it's pretty decent and earned me not only 1st lady but 2nd overall.  

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Fight, fight, fight!!! Thread showdowns are great fun. Is anyone running a book?

Minni, how mini are the mini Minni's? They sound tiny! Have a great day.

MsE, sorry to hear you're not coming back but... very jealous of your race list, particularly your stint as a Western States pacer, very cool.

Nice hot and sweaty 2hr bike ride at lunchtime. I was channeling Richie Porte up the hills. Cheese pie and a massive cream vanilla slice as recovery snack. image 

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Haha SJ they're both bigger than me!!! 

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    SlokeyJoe wrote (see)

Fight, fight, fight!!! Thread showdowns are great fun. Is anyone running a book?

Wah! My prediction is Speedy will win the league and I will come second.

• On current form I predict that Literatin will whip my ass. Again. 

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Come on you two, this is all too nice. We want a proper showdown! Where's the rivalry? Where's the fighting talk?
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

We're both saving it up for the potential post-victory faux-modest bragging.