Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

Tim, have you done a marathon before? How have I missed this?!  image

Mo's race last night was brilliant. The pace was savage. It was so refreshing to see an honest 1500 race with some fast times, where top runners are pushing it on time wise, rather than just kicking on the home straight to win.

Gonna watch the rest of the meeting on iplayer this afternoon.

• Hi Stevie! yep, that race was great. See the speed of Kiprop?! Unbelievable! 

Enjoy the other races, I'm sure you'll enjoy the 5k too.. Was a proper race again!

I did Dubai Marathon in Jan.  

Burtonwood 5 mile for me this afternoon. 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

A timely sore throat for me, about time I got one.

Had a suspicion something was going on when I didn't face yesterday's morning excursion with the usual enthusiasm. In fact I cut it short when normally I'd go further.

At 3:00pm all was revealed. Hoped it was dust from some hedge job (250sqm of privet, 45 minutes cut and cleared, I don't hang about) but no.

Still here this morning (sore throat) so scrap the race tomorrow (done enough to win the series already). Very easy jog 9:30 pace of 2 miles. Spot of stretching to finish.

Usual strategy. Get rid of bug as fast as possible, so first of all reduce running to a couple of miles per day maximum and wait. I'll use the energy usually spent running on doing this.

Next schedualed race is in 4 weeks and the long relay 4 weeks after that. Plenty of time.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

bad luck Ric, colds in summer are annoying.

Had a little recce of my race tomorrow's route. The hills are all so easy at cruise pace aren't they!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

evening 4, so we're ready for tomorrow.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

There's a fair bit of it about Ric, hopefully it'll clear in a few days.

Temperature looks OK for tomorrow, but humidity looks a bit high at 80%+

Sorry SG - thought you meant it was £120 to fix the 405 - that's a good price for a new one.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Cheers Bus, I'm naturally lazy so this is good excuse to do nought. For similar reasons I look forward to long haul flights. 

Ok I admit 'going' to New Zealand is better than coming back. One day I may 'flip' hemispheres in a perpetual summer.

On reflection doing that sounds like hard work (maybe a waste of money) When I retire there, I ain't coming back.

🙂

• Back from Burtonwood. Got stressed out beforehand as googlemaps took me to the wrong side of Warrington! Made it in the end and had my 1.5 mile warm up with strides and form exercises before recovering for 15mins before the start.

Was aiming for 28:00. Set off near the front but. Lot of jostling... From what I could tell, there were a lot t the front that shouldn't have been there. Evened out after the first 0.5 mile.

Was on target at 1 mile in 5:30.. 2 miles 11:10..3 miles 17 mins... Had. Hard time between 3 and 4.5.. Long open roads exposed to the sun..

A group of 3 runners from South Cheshire took me at 3.5 miles and I couldn't keep on them.. Just kept the last one of the three and finished behind him.

Time was 28:26 in 14th place.. 1st Unattached runner. I'm claiming a PB even though it's my first 5 miler.. That means 3 Pbs in a week.. 3000m, 10.4k! and 5 mile.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Nice run out Tim, and if the weather is like it is down here, no wonder there's a slight waivering from your aim.

Just a note for the end of year stats tho...1st time race distances don't count as pbs image

Any prize for 1st unattached runner?

I See Johnas had a good one too at Dorney...but he's being too cool about it to come straight on image

• S G... spoilsport!!

No prize, when I asked, the guy said I should join a club, I pointed out I wouldn't have been first in anything then! 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

haha, don't worry it applies to me too with my 3k this year...

Good point well made to the organiser. Did they especially mark you out in the results as "first unattached", or was it just your observation? If they did, and then didn't prize you up, it seems odd!

• It was my observation when I was looking down the finishers list.  Tell you what though, there was a great burger and fresh coffee, free.. Better than some of the crappy goody bags of late... They gave us a sachet of sugar amongst some other crap at the we love manchester 10k last week! 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

burger? we're meant to be aff-leets here image. Free drink is a nice touch though, can only think of one road race down here that does that, the Wokingham half, which is very welcome in cold Feb.

Our race tomorrow has sensational goody bags, tonnes of stuff in there, drinks, choc, fruit, energy bar, a medal, race entry forms, and all manner of random other stuff!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Got the relay results from the other night. Our boys had a 1 min 53 winning margin over the 8miles,

Pleased to get the 3rd fastest on the night of 11.45, with Graham in 11.36, and some guy putting a stonking 4th leg in for a team in 11.20! Shame his team had a 17+ min 1st legger!

Only started 3secs behind the Reading chap, but did the leg 1min 09 quicker, so gave Graham a nice lead, although his lead was over a Finch chap not Reading (Reading lad got overtaken near the end of his). But no one is going to take down a 1min 01 lead from Graham over 2miles on offroad terrain!!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Careful Ric, I've watched the first episode of Top of the Lake, and they seem a bit weird out there in NZ! All taller than I remebered from the Hobbit tooimage

Good result that Tim. I once got a 1st Unnatached runner prize which included a medal, £20 and a bottle of wine! Only race I've known to do one though!

All set for tomorrow SG? My daughters birthday event today, so I've spent the day Kayaking 12 year old girls about, putting up a tent and doing a bbq party for them! Not exactly a rest day!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

all set big man. I tend to alternate between before and after races for excuses, and I'm going on "after" tomorrow, so good to see you've gone for before. image

Phil's deffo right though, a hilly half marathon in July doesn't seem an easy fit into a schedule!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

as for unattached prizes, if they did those in many places, we'd just turn up and not enter as a club!

• parkrun this morning, 18:57 on my local slow course where my PB is 18:54 so given the heat I seem to be in fair form and hope that the USA courses may be a bit cooler: they were hot this week but the forecast is cooling down especially for the 10k with a sensible 7am start.

bus, going to New York for a 5k, Chicago for a 10k and then onto Seattle (no race planned yet). It is very hot and humid out there at the moment but the forecast is cooling down and clearing up. 5k may be a bit hot but they have showers over the route.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

all set big man. I tend to alternate between before and after races for excuses, and I'm going on "after" tomorrow, so good to see you've gone for before. image

Phil's deffo right though, a hilly half marathon in July doesn't seem an easy fit into a schedule!

Don't worry, I've got plenty lined up for post race too image

Have a good time in the US Philip...

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

One of those horrible can't fully get to sleep night's last night. Prob a mixture of the heat and the race night nerves. Oh well, it'll be fine! Looks overcast out there if anything which is a surprise, still 2hours + to go though.

Last year went over there too early to pick the race number up, so I'll hold off a little bit

Seems Phil's equally Sleepless in Seattle. New York as well, just a bit rock n roll. Surprises me that they have park Run.s. over there, would have thought they'd charge!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Shame about missing today's race. The drop in temperature would have made for a real blast after all the heat.

Sore throat almost gone, minor sniffs about all there is. However, despite knowing I could have gone further, I settled for another easy jog of a couple of miles. Also put the HR moniter on and found I could operate at around 9:15 minute pace with the rate a shade over 100bpm.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

do you reckon it came because of the high sequence of high mileage days without a rest Ric?

ps Litty insists I apologise for the apostrophe in night's in my last post. That'll teach me for editing a post and re-arranging words!

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

That's better.

• .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭

Good luck SG,  Dachs and anyone racing today.  seems cooler this morning, hope its the same down your way. Got a 6mile trail race myself but hopefully will be able to run slowly after yesterdays fell race, ankles complaining somewhat.

Cant do a proper post on my smartphone,  tablet still bust.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

How did you get on in the fell race Seb (did I miss it somewhere?)

Cooler, but pretty humid. Bloody sleepover girls in the garden kept me awake a fair bit last night too, so in a bad mood this morning - grrrrimage

Apostrophe catastrophe SG - you should be ashamed....

• 10 miles with 6 at MP before brekkie for me.. No long run today as working now, then a birthday do straight after. 

Good luck to Stevie G and everyone racing.. Better racing weather. 

• Bluenose74Bluenose74 ✭✭✭

Frome 10k done & dusted, 43 sec's off my pb time, but happy with that considering course and conditions....

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Frome Half Marathon done. Apalling time, just dipped under 1:20 by a couple of seconds. Rubbish. Don't really want to make excuses, but i cant attribute it to anything other than illness still knocking abput the system. Good to see Bluenose though. Still came 3rd. I shall do a full report later on, and clear the way for some hopefully more successful race reports from others.

Dachs, dont do yourself a injustice mate, I think when the results are out later, they won't be many PB's or SB's amongst the the serious runners in both the HM & 10k.. It was good to catch up with you before and after race...

Dachs... Have you decided what to do with your Brown Shoe Laces out of the goodie bag????