Does this sound like a reasonable plan?

First half IM distance race in 2 weeks (Wales Triathlon) - feel woefully underprepared. Not quite sure what possessed me to enter (well I do...two bottles of fizz) but I really want to give it a go. Aim is to finish within the 8h 30m cut off.

I'm managing the swim in 40 mins in the pool and did 1500m in open water in a race in 32 mins so plan is to start near the back, try not to inhale too much sea water and hopefully be through T1 and on to the bike within an hour.

The bike terrifies me - I've only been cycling for 3 months and haven't done nearly as much as I should have. Finally cracked eating and drinking on the bike and managed 50miles in 3 hours today but pretty tired after. So plan is to aim for 15mph and not fall off.

The run apparently involves a hideous hill that you have to do 3 times...trying to put this out of my mind. My half marathon PB is 1.45 and marathon 3.59 so think will try to pace 10min miles (depending on how the legs feel off the bike) and walk if I have to.

Nutrition I think I've sorted - combination of gels, jelly babies and electrolyte drink/water.

Any advice? Do I even have a chance of finishing? Am anticipating it hurting a lot and suspect mental preparation will be the most use at this stage! 

Comments

• sounds a bit like mine of my first threads.

two weeks is too late to do much about anything son its pretty much a case of go out and enjoy it. take it steady and you'll finish. its not like you have no fitness base.

HTFU JFDI INAKC

• You will be a lot quicker than 8.30 hrs.

Enjoy it image

• Hills.....don't think about the hill, just on keeping your pedals turning. If you continue to turn the pedals, you will get to the top. Sounds silly but it works. Good luck.

• Thanks.

Currently lying on floor with peas on my arse after a rock/arse fail on the beach last night which has not been helped by this morning's ride. Luckily my friend is on the way round with medicinal champagne...

• Your times don't sound to bad so don't do yourself an injustice.  There is no reason you shouldn't do a 40-45 min swim and every chance you could do the bike in 3 hours if you pace it well. 2.15 for the run? 

As said you're not going to gain any fitness in two weeks but if you can try and get a couple more open water sessions in.  Somewhere you can save a lot of time is transition, why not set yourself up in your garden and practice, most importantly plan what you need to do in T1 & T2, settle on an order and stick to it, don't have any decisions to make in transition on race day.

T1 (all gels, food and drink already on bike (taped on/in bento box), tools / spare tube etc in saddle bag?
    Goggles, swimcap and wettie off,
    Suncream if you need it?
    Dry feet, put pre-talc'd socks on
    Shoes, helmet, bike gloves, sunglasses on
    Grab bike
    Go

T2
    Dump bike, helmet, gloves, bike shoes (and sunglasses?) off
    Trainers (and cap/sunglasses on)
    Go

• Yeah I'm on nights next week so going to head to the beach and do a couple of sea swims during the day. One or two more long runs. Will cycle to work a couple of times next week (15 miles each way) but dont think another long ride will help, I'm just a bit scared that 50 miles is the furthest I've ever cycled. Eeek!

• Try and take it a bit easy on the bike, certainly for the first 5-10 miles, don't get caught up with racing others that overtake you, have a pacing plan and stick you it.  As said by Seren, take it easy on the hills, try to spin up and keep the heartrate down.  Unless youre a light rider don't be a martyr and honk it up out of the saddle

• Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)

Your times don't sound to bad so don't do yourself an injustice.  There is no reason you shouldn't do a 40-45 min swim and every chance you could do the bike in 3 hours if you pace it well. 2.15 for the run? 

As said you're not going to gain any fitness in two weeks but if you can try and get a couple more open water sessions in.  Somewhere you can save a lot of time is transition, why not set yourself up in your garden and practice, most importantly plan what you need to do in T1 & T2, settle on an order and stick to it, don't have any decisions to make in transition on race day.

T1 (all gels, food and drink already on bike (taped on/in bento box), tools / spare tube etc in saddle bag?
    Goggles, swimcap and wettie off,
    Suncream if you need it?
    Dry feet, put pre-talc'd socks on
    Shoes, helmet, bike gloves, sunglasses on
    Grab bike
    Go

T2
    Dump bike, helmet, gloves, bike shoes (and sunglasses?) off
    Trainers (and cap/sunglasses on)
    Go

T2

Dump, bike, helmet, gloves.....

FTFY

• joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Firstly, if you didn't feel underprepared, there would be something wrong.

Secondly, your training paces and run times are all extremely respectable. I think you'll surprise yourself on the day with how fast you go.

You seem to have a sensible plan - don't to try to cram in big runs too close to the event though. So as long as your bum gets better, you don't drink too much fizz the night before, and you don't go off too hard in the run (but not 10min mile pace - you should be more like 8:30), you'll do well!

• 08.30? after his/her longest bike ever and a course with a big hill x3?  that's 20 secs off PB pace.  Id agree to start nearer 10.00 / 09.30, you can pick up the pace over the last 3-4 miles if there's any speed left?

• joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

A 1:45 1/2M is about 8 min/mile pace, Barlos. If IM pace is about 45s/mile over stadalone marathon pace, then 30s should be about right for a 1/2.

I'm also just recognising mysellf a bit in these posts, and guessing CS comes from a running background. Reminds me of my first tri....

• i wish i could run 45 secs slower than straight mara pace, im more like 3 minutes image

• joddly wrote (see)

A 1:45 1/2M is about 8 min/mile pace, Barlos. If IM pace is about 45s/mile over stadalone marathon pace, then 30s should be about right for a 1/2.

I'm also just recognising mysellf a bit in these posts, and guessing CS comes from a running background. Reminds me of my first tri....

You are correct, was a miscalculation on my part image

• Still think adding just 30 secs to PB pace is a bit tight and assumes really good pacing and endurance across bike & run which CS doesn't have.  Id still suggest starting at a more cautious pace and picking up from midway if there's more speed in the legs.

I cant speak from experience through as my runs are usually dire.

Ultimately its splitting hairs for a first middle distance, 2-3 minutes difference during the run can be made or lost so easily across the whole event.  Best advice is to go out and enjoy it, will get a PB whatever.

• Joddly is correct, I (female) come from a backgroud of running and if I manage to get round the bike course then reckon I will finish. Still think 10min/mile a good plan, I can always speed up if things are going well....thanks for all the advice!