Analysing my Data

Hey everybody,

I was just wondering if one of you speed geniuses could help me out with my training. I've just got a garmin this week so am getting a bit more detailed information, but I'm not really sure what to do with it!

My background: I've been running for about a year, and in April ran my first marathon (Paris) in 3h 31mins. I'm now focussing on 10ks (don't think I can handle another marathon!) and am trying to break the 40 minute barrier. My last 10k (end of June) was 41.42.

My training this week has looked like this..

Monday: training session with club (grass work)
Tuesday: 10k tempo run (4.53, 4.23, 4.14, 3.51, 4.21, 4.22, 4.41, 4.31, 5.11, 4.22) with 2km cool down
Wednesday: 3km warm up; 8 x 500m with 500m jog rec (1.36, 1.44, 1.44, 1.48, 1.46, 1.45, 1.47, 1.45) 4km cool down
Thursday: 12km Recovery Run av pace 5.14/km
Friday: 3km wu; 2 x 1200m (4.51, 4.41) with 2min rest; 2 x 1000m (3.54, 3.58) with 2 min rest; 2 x 800m (3.02, 3.11) with 1 min rest; 3 x 200m (0.38) with 200m jog recovery; 20min cool down
Saturday will be a 12km recovery run
Sunday: Rest Day

Are the paces I'm running appropriate for trying to break 40mins? I have used the McMillian calculator but the paces seem really fast.. I don't think I am anywhere near running 800m in 2.29! Does this mean that I'm a million miles off breaking sub40 too?

Thanks for any help!

Nikki

Comments

• Nikki, you are doing great re: times but prepare yourself for a critique avalanche for your nutty training! image

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

800m in 2:29 - good luck with that image it will add to the nutty training. Have another play with the Mcmillan calculator for a 40 min 10k and you will see some sane times. In any case I find it better to work from current fitness for Mcmillan 

I'm sure you will get plenty of comments to come. Your training is a mirror image of mine on the 80:20 split of easy/steady mileage to speed work. 

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    As also ran says use current fitness in McMillan and it will give more achievable paces. I have learnt this from experience.

Your long run also seems a bit short considering you want to get down to 40 mins. You may be better of getting it up around 10 miles. But ran at an easy pace.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Oh Nikki, I couldn't not post on here, so much to pick up on

• 4 quality sessions in a week including 3 on consecutive days?
    • No Long run
    • Too short warm ups. 3km? Try 3miles maybe.
    • 12km recovery run? Way too long for a recovery run.
    • Tempo run looks all over the shop in pace

On a very basic level, all you really need is

• Set proper pace zones, based on your most recent flat race
    • 1 Long run a week, 12-16miles (if you've properly built to this)
    • 1 Tempo run, consistent paces, not hooning around as you fancy (something like, 3mile warm up, 6miles at MP, 1mile cool down for one example)
    • 1 Track session, correct reps, pace and recovery (alternate distances depending on target, and progression)
    • As much easy running as you can fit in around all this, allowing for at least 1 rest day, and making sure you're not adding loads of mileage overnight.

The good news, is that being so recent into running and already sitting in the 41:40s, and not necessarily doing much of the above, you'll have a good crack at sub 40 in time I'm sure.

• What is 'grass work'?
  • Is it running on grass ?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

take it as being quality work on grass....

will Nikki be back? Or is this one of those threads I overdo the advice, and they never return!

• cougie wrote (see)
    Is it running on grass ?

Thanks Cougie. I had thought it was a type of basketry.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

will Nikki be back? Or is this one of those threads I overdo the advice, and they never return!

do you often find yourself having that effect on girls? image

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

I couldn't resist either, SG! So I won't comment on the training until Nikki re-appears. Probably someone from RW trying to write a few column inches about running. On the other hand Nikki runs for a pretty successful club, female-wise, so I would think she chould get some good advice from there.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Hi all!

I'm so sorry for the delayed response. I do really appreciate all the feedback. I spent a few days trying to set training zones as advised before reposting, then was in London for the weekend!

So, for my tempo runs, I was looking at some calculators and thinking that my 'MP' should be about 4.20/km, does that sound about right?

For my grass session tonight, I did a 5km warm up instead of 3km! Then my splits were 5.58, 5.57, 5.52, 5.54 for 1500m with 500m jog recoveries. Is that about the right pace too?

I will also be including a longer run in my training this week.

In terms of the rest of running... and I know this is going to sound stupid to many of you (!) but I really don't like running for less than an hour, which is what is making my recovery runs on the longer side. I get a bit conscious about my weight if I don't train for an hour..

Thanks again for all your help. I do really appreciate it.. Nikki x