10k in under 40min

Hi

I recently ran my first 10k in 44min with only 2-3 weeks of training. Im starting to get interesting in running more and would like to participate in events more often. Can anyone give me some advice to improve my time to under 40min I usually dont run more than 10 miles a week but im willing to put in the time and effort. Im also starting to do the glasgow parkrun 5k every Saturday and my fastest time was 21min. The next event I plan to run in is the great Scottish 10k which is in October, do you think with the correct training I could do it in under 40min bearing in mind im 17.

Hope someone can help.

Comments

• cliff781cliff781 ✭✭✭

Have a look at this thread, plenty of help and info for getting under 40min for 10k.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/training/speed-endurance-for-10k/204662.html

• Lots of good advice on cliff's thread, but if you've only just started and doing 10 mpw then the main gain will be from steadily increasing mileage.

• Gents

Been reading the thread.

I have set myself the goal of a sub 40 10K so any advice would be appreciated. I like to think i have a decent base level of fitness. So i set myself the goal for a future 10k. I did about 6 weeks solid training consisting of track work, longer runs,tempo run etc and a couple of park runs.My 5k parkrun pb was 19:55 over this period.This was a few weeks before i gave the 10K a go and i was feeling good for a decent time. The race itself i paced well at the start however I got a bit excited from about 6-7k as I picked the pace up. Suffice to say my legs became very heavy for the last 2k and almost gave up completely by the end. Not a nice feeling when my mate passed me image when i thought i would be finshing fast. My time was 41:07.

Have you and specific advice to improve my endurance in the legs, what mistakes i can avoid and what would be a good programme to attack the 10k again. I like to do some weights around the running so would it be possible on 3 running sessions a week?

cheers

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    What is your training like at the moment.

To be at 41 mins on 3 runs a week is pretty good going.

I'd imagine the majority of sub 40 10 k runners are running 5 or more times a week.
  • Yeah i suppose if it was that easy everyone would run sub 40.

Over the last 6 weeks i concentrated on the Running and was doing 4-5 Running sessions  a week. So can see where you coming from on the 5 runs à week.

I found a program on the internet to give me a bit of structure. What about if i run 3-4 times a week and add more runs when i have a specific 10k planned.

What type of sessions are a must ?

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    A long run - 10 - 12 miles at an easy pace , intervals or hill session and a Tempo run.

Is usually essential and then the more easy running you can fit in the better as it improves your base fitness. It's also good to get a rest day on there as well.
  • cliff781cliff781 ✭✭✭

Important to build up the miles slowly. My current plan is this? think i could go under 40min 10k if i did it today, did a 5k today in 6:19min per mile and had a lot more left:-

Mon - Rest Day

Tue - 40-50Min easy running at 8min per mile pace

Wed - Hill reps on a hill of around 10% incline, pushing hard for 60-90sec x 6-8, jog back down recovery (15min warm up and cool down)

Thurs - 40-50min easy running with 8 x 20sec hard strides in the middle with 1 min recovery between

Fri - 10-12 Mile Long Run

Sat - Rest or recovery pace run for 30min (depending how i feel after the long run)

Sun - 4-6 x 800m at 5k race pace 400m jog or 4 x 1600m at 5k race pace with 800m jog or 3 Mile tempo run at lactate threshold pace

At the end of each of the sunday sessions i add 3-4 200m reps with 200m jog recovery to improve race finishing.

Seen big improvements with this plan so far and only been doing it for 3-4 weeks.