Best Places To Live In London For Runners

Hello runners!

I was wondering whether there were any Londoners about who could help me out? I'm making the move to the Big Smoke and I'm looking for somewhere to live. Rent aside (it needs to be cheap!) my biggest consideration is living somewhere I can run! I currently live in Wales and I'm bereft at the thought of losing my 20mile Sunday seaside route image Where are the best places to live in London for runners/ general fitness fans (I need to find a good gym too!)

Comments

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Have you seen the BBC's 'Where Can I afford to live' calculator?

No such thing as 'cheap' in London. 

🙂

• SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭

Anywhere near big parks is great for running - like Hamstead Heath and Richmond-but these also tend to be very expensive. If you're looking for cheap and open spaces you probably need to be looking at the suburbs. Like Ric says, I would work out first what areas you can afford and then look a which ones have open spaces.

• Ric has a point.

It might make better sense to find somewhere you can afford first and then come back and get advice about running in the area.

Pretty much every part of London has good places to run.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Screamapillar wrote (see)

It might make better sense to find somewhere you can afford first and then come back and get advice about running in the area.

Pretty much every part of London has good places to run.

You're never tooo far away from a green space, footpath, canal path, river path or other off-road route, so I agree with this.  The expensive bits usually have less expensive bits close by.  For example, round my way, the nicer parts of Greenwich and Blackheath won't be cheap, but there will be more affordable renting accommodation in Deptford, Lewisham, Charlton and Woolwich, all within 10 mins jog of the river or some sort of greenery.

• SEdanSEdan ✭✭✭
  • Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

That BBC Calculator is brilliant - and from under Blackfriars Bridge I'll get a brilliant view of the London marathon too.

• This property search site has a handy distance to park filter:

http://www.findproperly.co.uk

But some places which aren't parks are also good to run along - e.g the Thames or along Regents canal can be nice when not too busy.

I sometimes see people running along really busy roads in the middle of London (e.g the Strand) which I've never understood - but if you like this kind of 'urban running' London will be perfect image

• Blimey, prepare yourself for the prices hike from Wales to London.  It might well be a big shock.

I'd echo those who suggest looking close(ish) to the river as another option rather than by a park.  I'm the other side of London to PhilPub (boo... hiss... etc) and there is a nice 10m route along the pathway from Putney to Richmond that'll be a nice replacement for your 20miler.  Absolutely flat as you might expect with no cliffs along that stretch.

As for gyms? Some colleagues think nothing of shelling out £80 p/m but of course you can pay more or less than this with some local council gyms being pretty cheap at £10-£20 p/m.  I'm not a member of any.

• Try Kingston upon Thames.  Close to Richmond park, the Thames path and prices are reasonable. 30 mins into Waterloo 

• Depends what the OP is looking for Charles - if it really is a house, the average property price in that area is about £400,000. That would be beyond a lot of people.

• Hey all, thanks for your help! I'm just looking to rent a room in a flat share at the moment rather than buy a house. But yeah, I'm not looking forward to London prices! I lived there a few years ago and one of the main reasons I moved back to Wales was the cost. But somehow the Big Smoke is calling to me again...

• One of the main reasons I moved out to Hertfordshire from London was the realisation that when I was riding my bike I hated it and running wasn't much better. Everywhere is crowded and congested, there are some great places to run but getting to them can be annoying. I now live 20 minutes from kings Cross, I rent a flat for less than a room cost and most of my running is done in fields usually in isolation. Oh and my gym costs £20 a month as opposd to £50+ in London. 

That said I love London, I still miss living there and for several years I was willing to make the compromise.

• PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

I live in Tooting, which is about 10k from Richmond park.  Closer by there is wimbledon common, tooting common, wandsworth, clapham.  I've never tired of my running routes. In my opinion, you'll find great running routes wherever you live in London, especially if you are doing long runs.  There are so many parks and commons.  

You are probably best to find a location that suits you, ie near work, close/easy to get to family, close to friends before worrying about running routes.

• My advice ? stay where you are !! London is overpriced and overrated

Lived in London moved to Scotland traded concrete Jungles and after dark curfews for runs by the sea and round Loch Lommond lifestlyle 100% better since moving

Unless you have no alternative but to move to London don't.

• Borehamwood is Hertfordshire, but is in Zone 6 which makes it very commutable. 22 minutes to King's Cross if I remember rightly.

Plenty of green spaces out that way. Furzehill Road in particular leads from the town uphill via a wide, wide pavement, and takes you right to a massive runner-friendly space called Scratch Wood.

Some very affordable property out that way compared to London itself.

• Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭

Walthamstow.  Still affordable.  Not gentrified (except the Village). Close to central London (20 minutes on Victoria line) but Epping Forest on your doorstep.  But I am biasedimage

• I live in Highams park so lush runs around here but also work in Moorgate i love the run down the southbank and up to Hyde park and back a little busy on the southbank after work but by the time you get to Hyde park you have your own space, Plus ducking and dodging people on the southbank can only be good for training .. Surely??

• 330 or bust wrote (see)

My advice ? stay where you are !! London is overpriced and overrated

Lived in London moved to Scotland traded concrete Jungles and after dark curfews for runs by the sea and round Loch Lommond lifestlyle 100% better since moving

Unless you have no alternative but to move to London don't.

On the other hand, if you like to see bands, enjoy great cinema, love a plethora of restaurants reflecting the cuisine of the whole world, enjoy a multicultural experience, like theatre, enjoy some of the best parks in the world... come to London. Of course, London has its problems - what big city doesn't? If you prefer total quiet and seclusion, follow this poster's advice. It worked for him/her, but it's not for everyone. Plenty of great places to run. I live in south-west London and you have tons and tonnes of open space. And get this - I've never noticed any curfew whatsoever.

• ChomskiChomski ✭✭✭

I live and run in Ealing which has four large parks, is surrounded by miles and miles of canal paths, is 3 miles from the Thames footpath and 5 miles from Richmond Park. I never get bored finding new routes although I do have to get back home before the curfew siren is sounded.

• Flob wrote (see)

Stay in the suburbs or just outside if you want to be able to breath while running. London is horrid when busy- so unless you slways run between 3 and 4 a.m it isn't great. 

Or stay in town for the buzz and proximity to work and jump on a train for 20 mins thst'll tske you to the air quality that you will crave!

or if you want similar effects to altitude training, run in town lol

I run through central London at least a couple of times a week. Don't tend to notice the air quality but hate to think what it's doing to my lungs. 

To the OP. I live in shepherds bush. Isn't great for running and I end up doing most my runs along roads. I can get to nicer runs if I go about 1 1/2 miles north south or east  but have to do that first bit along roads.