Race /Fun Run etiquette

So I did the Elmbridge 10K yesterday and was holding a steady pace when I noticed this guy trying to pass me. Only he wasn't/didn't appear to be trying to pass me, he was running very very close to me and seemed to be wanting to knock me into the curb. But he didn't seem to be actually over taking me. 

I'm not a fast runner but as he didn't seem to be moving away from me I sped up anyway in the hope he would either leg it and run faster or fall back. 

I could still hear him behind me, and there wasn't much I could do, but about 1K later he finally ran past AND then he slipped really close behind the woman in front. If she moved he moved with her. I really hope he wasn't doing this to me, as it looked really sleezy. 

Now he was an older guy, late 50s', early 60's - me and this other woman were under 40. So this seemed really creepy to me - or was he doing trying to pace with us? get protected from the wind as we were running into the wind at this point?

I did notice when she stopped for a drink and he ran on, he passed the next bloke, and went straight behind the next woman. Then I lost sight of that pack when we went on the tow path.

I've done about 5 10K runs and have never seen this before, so want to check the etiqeutte on these things... tatics or a sleezy odd ball?

Comments