Sub 3h15

Comments

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Thread nutter / respect go hand in hand AR. 

Well done on the confession. Of course we are all a bit obsessive otherwise we wouldn't be chasing that ever faster pb, but I guess some are more obsessive than others. 

Then again, I am sure it will be you leading the thread home at Abingdon (unless you manage to put your jaw out of place in the meantime!) image

SJ - I like your new minimal stress approach to the campaign - just making sure the ingredients are in the bowl and not worying too much about the order of the mix. I am sure that with the endurance base you have built up along with cross training to rest the legs, you will find that you do not need the same miles as previous campaigns. 

• The photo isn't very clear AR, but is that 6.37 min miling???? image

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

I reckon that would make it the run about 2hrs 53 mins 47 secs.image

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

6.38 on the garmin Speedy - I don't trust the treadmill distance / pace, I mean 6.37 pace would be a bit nutty wouldn't itimage

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Just looked at your garmin connect splits. A negative spilt, now you're just showing off.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭

AR - there was none taken here, I'm happy to give common sense encouragement/advice but know that taking it can be tough for some folks, if folks want to do their own thing then thats fine. No one is a robot though and no one is injury proof. Everyone (including me) has a bit of OCD about them that is doing this, otherwise they'd be on the sofa. That mental energy is better focused on endurance sports than betting/booze etc........and besides whilst I'm happy to spend hours on a turbo, I've never run once on a treadmill (and dont intend to), so dont count it as proper running anyway. ha ha !

• TRTR ✭✭✭

SJ - I've run some pretty tough 2:55s off approx 3 runs a week plus swim and bike, but seem to be able to run a few minutes quicker pretty comfortably with about 4 running days a week which I make 2 or 3 into doubles with an easy 5M run back home in the evening. the extra is only about 10-15M more but the extra fequency seems to do my legs good marathon wise. I also find that teh more i run the tougher my legs get running wise..........................just saying, not intended to bias what you are doing. 

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Good advice TR. I'm going to try to run more than my outline plan but very much letting my legs decide whether to step up (or down) on frequency, distance or intensity.  As Keir has rightly identified, I'm taking the stress out of the training and not being a slave to a plan that I can't handle..... got the t-shirt.

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭
    TR wrote (see)

AR - there was none taken here, I'm happy to give common sense encouragement/advice but know that taking it can be tough for some folks, if folks want to do their own thing then thats fine. No one is a robot though and no one is injury proof. Everyone (including me) has a bit of OCD about them that is doing this, otherwise they'd be on the sofa. That mental energy is better focused on endurance sports than betting/booze etc........and besides whilst I'm happy to spend hours on a turbo, I've never run once on a treadmill (and dont intend to), so dont count it as proper running anyway. ha ha !

Cheers TR (ps for mentalist pigeon holeing, OCD is one thing I definitely don't suffer from, so I won't blame any tendancies  I have on that!)

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

AR - great confession there. I agree with TR in that we're all a bit OCD - I definitely am when marathon training. It's also habit - some people drink, some smoke, some run - we all need our fix. 

Nice TM marathon there too. image

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

AR - this is a great explanation of how to approach injuries and identify the root cause of your symptomatic niggles.  So, dude, get yourself a foam roller.

http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-prevention-recovery/inside-the-doctors-office-strengthen-your-kinetic-chain?cm_mmc=NL-TrainingExtra-_-1369820-_-07232013-_-Strengthen-Your-Kinetic-Chain

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Respect to you AR for saying what you said.  Certainly it is easy to get obsessed about miles per week, training paces, missed training when injured, race times, etc and it is something we all do from time to time to one extent or the other. We try to understand how to get better, whether that means further, faster or more of it.It must be nice to get that treadmill marathon out of your system

I'm now in Japan after a week in North Devon on holiday without internet.  Still no running and just strength training.  Strength training is going well so far and there are a lot of initial gains in strength that can be made.   I think it is just neuro muscular recruitment and I haven't really noticed muscle growth..  I'm aiming for 100 press-ups by end August as my big goal.

I did stop at Street in Somerset on the way back as my wife used to work there.  They got 'Clarks Village' designer outlets type shopping with an ASICS store. Great value and I came away with a new pair of top-of the range Gortex trail shoes, 2 T-shirts and a part of winter leggings for £91.  

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

AR -  Very brave to bare your soul like that. I think we're all a bit obsessive to some extent - finding the right balance is not easy.
    Bike It - I love North Devon. Sounds like a productive shopping trip!
    8 slow miles for me this morning. Enjoyed the light rain and start of a thunderstorm. Then I took the dog out for her last morning walk before her owners return and got absolutely drenched in a deluge.

• FrazerelliFrazerelli ✭✭✭

Candid stuff AR - splendid ridiculousness on the t/mill there. Does it feel good to have got that one out of your system ?

Interesting seeing people settle in to their own grooves eg SJ going multisport and low running volume. You'll be running in your pointy helmet next

I for one don't find schedule following productive. Too much self flagellation if sessions get missed and no flexibility for injury/life/bad phases etc.

Mennania - I think there's places still for Amsterdam if you're looking for a potentially quick October marathon. Careful with those abs!

Much cooler up here last few days - what a difference/relief

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Ooh, the missus would enjoy that one Frazerimage.

AR - candid stuff indeed. I think one of the strongest things about this thread is everyones willingness to sincerely assist everyone coupled with frank honesty. Much Kudos to you but a treadmill marathon at that pace is off the scaleimage. I bet you got some right queer looks!

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

AR: menthol (treadmill marathon) and, as t'others have said, I suspect you'll find a fair few 'unusual' mindsets on the startline of many a road race.

8M on the South West Coastal Path for me. Sadly, as I was staying in Plymouth city centre last night, not the most scenic 4 mile stretch to do as an out and back...

• Hello, everyone - still hardly any internet access, but just popping in to wish you all well and to say that my VLM 2014 GFA entry has been confirmed and paid for, so...I'm in!!!imageimageimage.

Hopefully I'll be able to get in a decent read-back soon (tomorrow).

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

image  image  image  Ant. image

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Great news Ant, haven't taken up the option this year myself.

Went out with the missus for a meal last night and the conversation inevitably turned to running, specifically longer distance running and amount of commitment etc etc, and then she said this......" your not that good at it anyway, I mean you had to put all that effort in to just scrape under 3 hrs.....".

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Menn - ouch, come by my way and I will dish out the lithium or anything else you need to recover from that image

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Menna, that's just the sort of thing my mrs says to me... but I'm proud of you fella image

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Injected a bit of pace into my run tonight and hit 5 miles at ave 6:48mm then eased off the gas to a comfy 7:30mm for the last 2.  I'm still loving the hot weather. 

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Mennania- image nothing like a bit of spouse support eh!

At least you got a comment, I no longer talk about running with the other half as I fear she may attack me for being such a boring twat.

Btw, I wouldn't mind being as crappy as you, would be nice to have that sub 3 on my CV.

8 miles tonight with a few sets of strides.......yawn.
  • Mennania - oops. I'm sure she didn't mean it quite like that. She was certainly pretty darn proud of you that afternoon in Chandos.

Good news from Ant - haven't forgotten about that offer to get a round in!!

200/400/600/800/600/400/200 pyramid with 200m recoveries for me yesterday but not especially quick. No idea of the actual pace as the strap on my Garmin has broken so looks like I'll need to take advantage of the "£50 for a reconditioned one" offer unless anyone's got any suggestions about where I can get a new strap for a 310 from.

Just over 40 miles into work and back today - missed the rain showers and fortunately I had more luck than elder Lorenzito who went out on his bike and skidded off at a junction.

http://webkit-fake-url://A2CC9E0D-9C8C-49A4-9202-E0288569BB49/image.tiff

The consoling words from younger Lorenzito (aged 12): "if people are feeling more sympathetic to you, there's more chance of getting laid" image

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Some people have no idea about what it is to be a runner Mennania - that's why we are here on this forum I guess...

The South West Coast path sound very appealing Jools (once out of Plymouth I guess) as I've just spent last week by the North Devon Coastal path.

Lorenzo - I got a new strap for the 310XT through Amazon from one businesses that appears through their shopfront. 

I was awake at 3am today.image  I had nothing better to do that go out for a run.  Only 2 miles but you've got to start somewhere.  I stated easy and then wound it up.  The last 400m were flat out and included overtaking a cyclistimage.  No pain whilst running and a minor twinge once back at the hotel.  I'll leave it a few days before I get all enthusistic about running. Then bodyweight excercises including 100 squats and 50 lunges each leg - much easier when not holding any weights.  I'm feeling much more athletic now

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

I was going to do a 12 week build up for Abo.  Then I worked out that I would have to start next Monday.  After feeling mildly sick I realised I should worry about what I cannot change.  So now I'm considering my cunning plan....

a) Google 'from couch to marathon in 6 weeks' - no plans available

b) Reduce the build up and taper as I did for Abo 2011 when I had a 7 week build up due to injury

c) move it to a B race and find something else

d) forget it and do something else

Is anyone else in a similar position?  I haven't decided yet, but I'll probably do (b)

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Ant - good news. I'm at the mercy of the ballot system.
    Lorenzo - pyramid sessions are always great fun, aren't they?
    Bike It - nice blast and impressive start time. Sounds promising.
    4 easy miles this morning at the disgustingly late time of 5:15am (the dog has gone home - yippeeee!!!)

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Cheers chaps, I took it in the jovial spirit I'm sure she meantimage anyway, you can always rely on your other half for a healthy dose of realism.

Lorenzo - Nice session - presently I consider any training that involves sections measured in hundreds as off limits.

Bike it - must be nice to be back running, you didn't throw in the option of

e) jump in at week 5 of a 12 week training plan and pretend its ok

Stupidly, that's what I will probably do when I get back fit - although my next race is only a half so it is less likely to find me out.

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Bike it, B sounds like a good plan. 2 weeks taper is probably enough all truth be told and maybe as Menna says you can skip some of the earlier endurance Build phase as you have a few miles in the legs this year.

Can anyone give me advice on reps / intervals?

I have never liked these intense workouts. When I used to cycle 6x1/2m reps were my most hated session, but I accept that they work.

I have been trying to incorporate some 10k training into my early marathon training. This has been focused upon 400m, 800m, 1mile and 2miles intervals of different combinations, mainly run at estimated 5k (5.50m/m) to 10k (6m/m) pace. Unfortunately I rarely am able to complete the planned session, which often makes me come away demoralised and dreading it even more the following week.

This morning I ran 2.5m w/u then planned for 3x2m @ 10k pace. OK the first rep was quick - 5.51m/m but I mentally cracked after 1.25miles. The 2nd rep was better - 6m/m on the dot for 1m (I abandoned the 2m reos just to get something done). 3rd rep was hard at 5.56m/m and then I cracked again on the 4th after 1/4m and jogged home.

Am I just running these too hard / too early in the morning or should I be trying to find a running club to run these with due to my mental weakness to push myself? (I ran 6m/m for 10k in a race a few weeks ago).

I am now moving towards incorporating progressive speedier work into longer runs, but will be returning to reps at the end of Aug / Sept and really want to be able to tackle them with a positive approach.